_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5923362 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

((Didn't find any good source on the blast radii either - so thanks for that chart, it's way better than nothing. Couldn't make it calculate distances for less than 0,001 kT (one ton, that is), but it's effective blast radius seems to be about 0,02 miles, so that would probably work.))
Well, and if we make it a bit more powerful?..
Try making a 1 ton charge, then test it against a battlesuit. Estimate its size and compute if gauss rifle shots can be made out of it.
Try making a thick-legged massive tripod mount for the 5-circuit (routed for simultaneous charging) sturdy gauss long rifle, then test it firing against a battlesuit (use overcharge).
Try increasing the durability and strength of the exoskeleton a bit.
Also try increasing the caliber of the sturdy long gauss rifle (halfway to gauss cannon) as well as making it even sturdier and bulkier. Test if this makes the rifle survive more 5-circuit (overcharged) shots.
As for the AP ammo, make the bullet's core of a much more hardened material (such as hardened steel, or tungsten, or depleted uranium, or whatever is available) than the one regular ammo is made of. As for the expanding ammo, make the bullet with a hollowed shape in its tip.

(Why do I have the feeling the weapon and ammo you end up creating will be so massively expensive that it won't be worth it?)

You call up an existent 1 ton charge and try it against a battle suit. The battle suit is flung backward and badly damaged, losing most of it's armor and appearing to be barely functional, but the pilot did survive. You attempt to shrink the charge down to a size the gauss rifle can use but it's just too big.

You load up the 5-circuit gauss long gun and increase the caliber before adding some additional reinforcement and plating then  calling up a heavy ordinance tripod to mount it on. You have the computer analyze it and the larger caliber appears to have actively worsened it, reducing the number of shots to 15 before the coils need replacing. You get the feeling that it doesn't matter how sturdy the gun body is if the coils are still the weak point.

A cursory glance through the ammo charts of the computer shows that the ship actually already has armor piercing, hollow point and a few other types of ammo for the gauss rifle, not to mention the gauss cannon and most of the other physical slug weapons. Huh.

"Needs more work. Maybe a complete redesign..."

Remove the battery system from the bolos and see if I can improve the design of the weapon itself to make it easier to handle and aim. Modify the ammo tubes to carry a suitable number of bolos in one clip and then, if I'm sure this won't break apart on me easily, hop into duel, go into a battlezone in a battlesuit with the bolo gun and a few backup clips as well as a tesla sabre and give it a run in a live firefight!

You remove the battery from the bolo and work on the gun itself. You modify the shoulder stock to make it a bit easier to aim and make sure the revolving cylinder still holds 6 of the often modified shots. After you're satisfied that it won't break apart on the first firing you head to Duel and suit yourself up in a battle suit and arm up with a tesla sabre and your custom weapon. The computer asks you what you'd like to fight.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

"Time for some live action tests."

Call up 3 mk II marines with lazer rifles and have one of them have a synth-flesh replacement arm and a gauss rifle. Then call up a single full-body synth-flesh robot armed with a Monorazer and a single mk III with a gauss rifle. Make sure that I have plenty of ammo, then set the things to agressive and the area to a bombed out old library with collapsed stone columns.

Then begin the test, making sure that there is a recording of how the gun performs.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

((Finally the research project seems to be ending - well, sort of.))
Estimate the cost of making 1 ton charge, as well as 100 kg one.
Scrap the bigger caliber and try firing the 5-circuit sturdy gauss long rifle mounted on that tripod without the aid of the exoskeleton. Use AP ammo and overcharge against the battlesuit and  the Avatar if War.
Test the hollow point ammo against Mk II suits using the regular, 1-circuit no-overcharge gauss rifle.
See what other types of ammo are available.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:08:02 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

"Time for some live action tests."

Call up 3 mk II marines with lazer rifles and have one of them have a synth-flesh replacement arm and a gauss rifle. Then call up a single full-body synth-flesh robot armed with a Monorazer and a single mk III with a gauss rifle. Make sure that I have plenty of ammo, then set the things to agressive and the area to a bombed out old library with collapsed stone columns.

Then begin the test, making sure that there is a recording of how the gun performs.

(How oddly specific :P)

You call up the enemies you've specified and the world you wish to fight them in, keeping everything paused. You climb into the battle suit and strap yourself in as the chest hatch closes. Once its closed the internal monitors activate and bring up a feed from the outside while anti-shock systems tighten around you, encasing you in a cushioned, supportive tomb. You slip your hands into the controls and flex the heavy mechanical hands of the suit as the system continues to power up. After another 30 seconds of adjusting and slowly filling progress bars the suit displays a "All systems operational" message. You pick up your tesla sabre and bolo gun. Your enemies are on the other side of the room, partially hidden by the great stumps of collapsed marble pillars and burnt bookshelves four meters high. You prepare yourself to unpause it, considering what your first move should be.

((Finally the research project seems to be ending - well, sort of.))
Estimate the cost of making 1 ton charge, as well as 100 kg one.
Scrap the bigger caliber and try firing the 5-circuit sturdy gauss long rifle mounted on that tripod without the aid of the exoskeleton. Use AP ammo and overcharge against the battlesuit and  the Avatar if War.
Test the hollow point ammo against Mk II suits using the regular, 1-circuit no-overcharge gauss rifle.
See what other types of ammo are available.

The computer estimates that pretty much any small amount of explosives such as ones equivalent to 1 ton of tnt would be around the 1-2 token range. The electronic parts used to make it would probably total 1 token. 

You place tripod down and the self bolting legs drill their 6 inch long metal spikes into the ground. You mount the gauss rifle and load it with AP ammo, firing an overcharged shot at both a battle suit and an avatar. The round seems to do pretty good damage against the battle suit, it doesn't pierce it but it does case a big chunk of the ablative armor to blow off. You continue to fire at the same spot and it takes 2 more shots to finally pierce it. The avatar's cloak stands up to one shot, but it's armor seems much thicker and withstands 5 shots in a row before you finally make it through.

Next you grab a normal gauss rifle and HP ammo and test it on a MK II suit. The round impacts in the suit's chest and flattens, all the force of the shot becoming a more crushing then piercing blow. The result is that the round doesn't manage to pierce the suit but does make it half way through in addition to caving in the chest plate and the chest behind it.

As per ammo available to the Gauss rifle here are AP rounds, HP rounds, "melter" rounds, "Redshell" rounds and "Blackshot" rounds.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

Test out the "melter", "Redshell" and "Blackshot" rounds and learn their intended use.
((As for the last two, I've got no idea and google isn't of much help either. Hopefully, that's indended to be that way, so there's going to be some explanation.))
It looks like the improved gauss rifle design is almost finished. Time for a break, and let's hope more ideas come in the meantime. Hmmm, when was the last time I ate? Several hours ago, it seems.
Save the current tinker projects, then exit the simulation and go eat something (doesn't matter what, as long as it is edible, not alive and/or not belonging to human race). Stop by the armory to ask how much the special ammo for gauss rifles and the available weapon mounts cost in tokens.
Then go and search the net for the up-to-date info on known alien species.

((Also, that blow to the chest - was it effectively disabling, if not ouright lethal (the same way as puncture of the suit of that size and located in that area would be), or could a person still fight after suffering an injury like that?))
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:35:46 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Duck into cover behind a pillar and wait for the mk 3 to expose itself, then fire a bolo at it and move quickly to a new position. If that synth-body comes near me, let it have a taste of my bolos then engage with the tesla sabre and back off quickly.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

o_O

You guys are having a fucking blast with these tests, lmao.

HEY. If I survive, do you think we can have a paintball/airsoft-sort of combat with weakened versions of our weapons? I think it'd be !!FUN!! to roll 1s and 6s and see the chaos that ensues. :P

There's a LOT of potential for airsoft-sort of training exercises, even with today's technology. I know a group of 100-150 people from my city who go to a huge open field, forest, and abandoned buildings by Route 28 in NJ, USA every weekend for airsoft games. Military body armor, and airsoft guns FTW! The owner of the store near me plays with an M-4 assault rifle that fires around 150 rounds per minute, as well as a Barret .50 sniper rifle that shoots larger, much more painful rounds, hehehe. Me, I have 2 M1911's that hold 15-18 rounds. (depending on if you want to risk overloading the clip and potentially jamming the chamber, which is why I no longer load up 18 6mm rounds. Rather, I put one in the chamber and load 15-16 instead, which runs smoothly with no jams.) I'm hoping to buy a P90 submachine gun in a month or two, which will be fucking FUN.

There's this one guy who plays there, ex-military with a lot of cash to burn, has a custom-made MINIGUN. 4,000 rounds... >_> If he ever nailed someone without armor, they'd go to the hospital or possibly die. Those pellet rounds can even pierce flesh if you're seriously unlucky. Usually though, they just hurt like fuck and bruise like a bitch.

Anyway, back on topic.

DEATH GAMES! (without the death.)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Well we can't go on missions, so we are doing something productive in the meantime. Right now, this is a combat test to see if this thing is viable in combat situations, with cover, different types of enemies with different weapons. If this thing works as hoped, I get a bonus from steve and it goes in the shop for all to enjoy!

That moment will be pure joy...  :D

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Test out the "melter", "Redshell" and "Blackshot" rounds and learn their intended use.
((As for the last two, I've got no idea and google isn't of much help either. Hopefully, that's indended to be that way, so there's going to be some explanation.))
It looks like the improved gauss rifle design is almost finished. Time for a break, and let's hope more ideas come in the meantime. Hmmm, when was the last time I ate? Several hours ago, it seems.
Save the current tinker projects, then exit the simulation and go eat something (doesn't matter what, as long as it is edible, not alive and/or not belonging to human race). Stop by the armory to ask how much the special ammo for gauss rifles and the available weapon mounts cost in tokens.
Then go and search the net for the up-to-date info on known alien species.

((Also, that blow to the chest - was it effectively disabling, if not ouright lethal (the same way as puncture of the suit of that size and located in that area would be), or could a person still fight after suffering an injury like that?))
You test out the ammo. Melter shells seem to be hollowpoints with something very caustic in it. It burns a rather nasty path through metal after impact. The Red shells are indeed red and explosive with enough force to send a mk III cartwheeling with his limbs flying off. The blackshots are something like buckshot, but packed with oblong and mildly sharp black pellets which weigh far more then they should. They tend to fill targets with lots of pencil thin holes.

You exit the VR machine and grab a plate of "meat 2". It is...edible. Next you stop by the armory and check the prices for the different types of ammo. Melter and Blackshot are 2 token per magazine and redshells are sold individually at 2 per token. The price of mounts varies between 1 token for a simple  bipod to allow for steady aiming to what they call a "Walkabout", a quadruped heavy mount able to freely walk around while you fire, which costs 10 tokens. The auto bolting tripod you used costs 6.

Next you head to the computer and try to look up information on alien species. There are many sites about such things.

>XenoWIKI
>Bob's Alien database
>Mr. Magistar Talks about the aliens

Duck into cover behind a pillar and wait for the mk 3 to expose itself, then fire a bolo at it and move quickly to a new position. If that synth-body comes near me, let it have a taste of my bolos then engage with the tesla sabre and back off quickly.
((For the sake of me not going mad, I've named the different troops.

MkII Laser rifle (Bob)
MkII Laser rifle (Jeff)
MkII Laser rifle, gauss rifle, synth arm. (Susan)

Full synth body, Razor (Ian)
MK III, Gauss. (tom) ))

>Ah, I see you're finally going to try your weapon in firefight. Lets make this more interesting shall we?

>ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

You duck behind a pillar as the game begins and your enemies do the same, scattering between several positions. You wait, keeping an eye out for who will come first. Then you see something odd. Something metallic is tossed in a gentle arc between one pillar and another. This happens several times. Hmm.

The attack comes all at once, Bob, jeff, and susan lean around their cover and open fire while Ian and Tom zip around the edges of the room, flanking you from either side. [susan:4+1] Susan's Gauss rifle shot strikes the stone column you're hiding behind, destroying it as Bob and Jeff open fire with their laser rifles. You spin out of cover and fire on the blur that is the MK III suit.
[Zako con wep:3]
[Bob con wep:2]
[Jeff con wep:2]
Your shot flies low but manages to wrap around and sever tom's right foot. It doesn't slow him down an instant as he flies on his "wing" rocket pods, closing the distance to you in an instant, along with Ian. Bob and Jeff's shots simply miss.
[Zako dex:6]
[Ian dex:6]
[Tom dex:5]
[Tom Uncon wep:3]

You swing your tesla sabre at ian, missing as the synthetic man leaps backwards, slamming into the wall. You stumble for an instant, off balance as Tom screams up behind you and draws his razor, slashing across the back of your right knee and tearing some of the armor open.
[bob:6]
[Jeff:2]
[susan:2+1]
[zako:5]
Bob, jeff and susan all let loose with another volley of shots. Jeff misses and susan's round clips ineffectively against your torso but jeff's laser fire strikes you dead in the right knee, slipping between the armor plates and burning away at the servos inside. Damage reports flash up on your screen as you take aim and fire, your bolo wrapping around Jeff's neck and severing his head without slowing.

o_O

You guys are having a fucking blast with these tests, lmao.

HEY. If I survive, do you think we can have a paintball/airsoft-sort of combat with weakened versions of our weapons? I think it'd be !!FUN!! to roll 1s and 6s and see the chaos that ensues. :P

There's a LOT of potential for airsoft-sort of training exercises, even with today's technology. I know a group of 100-150 people from my city who go to a huge open field, forest, and abandoned buildings by Route 28 in NJ, USA every weekend for airsoft games. Military body armor, and airsoft guns FTW! The owner of the store near me plays with an M-4 assault rifle that fires around 150 rounds per minute, as well as a Barret .50 sniper rifle that shoots larger, much more painful rounds, hehehe. Me, I have 2 M1911's that hold 15-18 rounds. (depending on if you want to risk overloading the clip and potentially jamming the chamber, which is why I no longer load up 18 6mm rounds. Rather, I put one in the chamber and load 15-16 instead, which runs smoothly with no jams.) I'm hoping to buy a P90 submachine gun in a month or two, which will be fucking FUN.

There's this one guy who plays there, ex-military with a lot of cash to burn, has a custom-made MINIGUN. 4,000 rounds... >_> If he ever nailed someone without armor, they'd go to the hospital or possibly die. Those pellet rounds can even pierce flesh if you're seriously unlucky. Usually though, they just hurt like fuck and bruise like a bitch.

Anyway, back on topic.

DEATH GAMES! (without the death.)
Just use the VR machines and play Duel against each other. Thats what it's there, to let you fight in life and death battles against each other without actually dying.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile

...I can't wait until I return alive and/or reincarnate. I'm going to have a hell of a time working on synthflesh upgrades and testing all this !!FUN!! stuff in the VR arena of death and dismemberment(tm) (physical/sensory augments to complement Dr. Evil over there's weapon upgrade ideas.)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

Read those three main sites about known xenos species.
Praemonitus, praemunitus. Let all the alien bastards rot in hell...
Past Sigs

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

"You fucker, you'll pay for this!"

Leap back over some cover away from Ian, duck and roll to a kneeling position and let Tom have it with the bolos. Reposition to put some cover between me and the shooters and then fire at Ian as he charges.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Steve is disappointing me so far. The lack of proper weaponry on the dummies is also a good reason for their poor performance, though.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

((They are doing alright so far. They lost only a single lazer rifle user and a foot for the mk 3 user, where as I have damaged servos already.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

"That's it. I'm tired of doing nothing. Hey Steve," Feyri said to the room, "where can I find any places to find out more about what I have? Like my Tesla Sabre, which is with Milno? Any VR rooms where I can find out what those knobs do?"

Ask Steve where any of the training rooms are in this ship.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 2101