_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5931969 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Mission 11: OSHA nightmares
« Reply #21900 on: December 18, 2013, 12:58:19 am »

(( I find it far more likely that dropping a chunk of altered biomass into their digester pods would result in exactly one thing: The complete and utter destruction of that base as the altered take over the digester pod and start churning out altered soldiers instead of Tyranids. ))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21901 on: December 18, 2013, 01:02:30 am »

((The Nid's fleets won't actually be the size of galaxies even if they did consume a galaxies worth of planets because something like 99% of the biomass would be used up in the transit. After all, if (small) fleets can completely starve to death in the voyage between planets, then there's no way they can literally out mass the galaxy on arrival unless they pull some sort of 100% mass->energy conversion BS.
Also trillions isn't really that big a number given that 32 trillion people live on Terra alone. If anything the Imperium outnumbers the Nids right now.
Who'd fare better? Calling UWM because of amps, fission instigators, ghost ships, etc.))

(( I find it far more likely that dropping a chunk of altered biomass into their digester pods would result in exactly one thing: The complete and utter destruction of that base as the altered take over the digester pod and start churning out altered soldiers instead of Tyranids. ))
((I find this likely given that the Nids mostly stay within recognizable biology kinda while the Altered are the Thing on crack.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21902 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:06 am »

((The Nid's fleets won't actually be the size of galaxies even if they did consume a galaxies worth of planets because something like 99% of the biomass would be used up in the transit. After all, if (small) fleets can completely starve to death in the voyage between planets, then there's no way they can literally out mass the galaxy on arrival unless they pull some sort of 100% mass->energy conversion BS.
((Oh, because that's REALLY the most BS think in the WH40k-verse. Especially since the 'Nids are noted to consume portions of the planet and drain it of its geothermal energy, leaving it a barren shell of rock.
Besides, they have consumed multiple worlds of biomass. Probably also organic chemicals from nebullae. That's way more than enough to crush the Imperium, even if it controlled the whole galaxy, because only the tiniest bit of the tiniest bit of the potential organic matter in a galaxy can be people, and only a few thousand times that mass can be spacecraft or other machines to fight them off.))

Also trillions isn't really that big a number given that 32 trillion people live on Terra alone. If anything the Imperium outnumbers the Nids right now.
((Trillions of battleships. Or more like battlestars, I suppose.))

Who'd fare better? Calling UWM because of amps, fission instigators, ghost ships, etc.))
((On the other hand, the Imperium has psykers, space marines, and a lot less non-UWM bad stuff coming through than the UWM has non-Imperium stuff coming through.))

((That would require horrible aim on the tyranids' part, since digestive juices aren't exactly organic matter.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21903 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:01 am »

((Eh, without the 100% mass energy thing (which I'm not sold on), the vast majority of the biomass is lost in transit because the space between galaxies is really really really huge.))
Sig! Onol

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21904 on: December 18, 2013, 01:18:00 am »

((Most of the Tyranids are melee oriented, with some ranged forms. If the Altered do absorb biomatter on contact, then the Tyranids wouldn't have a chance to bring flesh back to the hive. The Tyranids do conform to most biological guidelines, but the Altered have shown no qualms about ignoring biology altogether. Simply put, the Tyranids need time to assimilate things, and the Altered do not. You can't beat a cheating enemy without cheating yourself.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21905 on: December 18, 2013, 01:26:06 am »

((Most of the Tyranids are melee oriented, with some ranged forms. If the Altered do absorb biomatter on contact, then the Tyranids wouldn't have a chance to bring flesh back to the hive. The Tyranids do conform to most biological guidelines, but the Altered have shown no qualms about ignoring biology altogether. Simply put, the Tyranids need time to assimilate things, and the Altered do not. You can't beat a cheating enemy without cheating yourself.))
((Um, I disagreee, strongly, with that final "can't beat cheaters without cheating" principal. It may be true in this case, but I've knowingly competed against cheaters and won while still playing fair. It's hard, but if you keep your mind open and figure out not just that they're cheating, but what exactly the cheat is, then you can act to counter it.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21906 on: December 18, 2013, 01:30:14 am »

((I will give you that. Yes it can be done, but it's pretty difficult, and really, the Tyranids may be smart enough to say "Fuck this shit, lets go eat some humans."))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21907 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:40 am »

((Indeed.
Oh, and kisame, if you want to buy that psycho knife permanently off me, I'll sell it for a token.))
Sig! Onol

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21908 on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:46 am »

((Hell no, I don't want the knife, I just don't want you to have it more. No offence, but from Morul's perspective, you've been affected by the knife before, and now you are a whole lot more dangerous. If anyone wants it, I'll give it to them and let you have whatever they pay for it, but Morul isn't going to hand the knife over easily.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21909 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:07 am »

((Makes sense given that right after he bought the damn thing he tried to kill a few people, then got his head shot off, incinerated a blackship along with its cage, and turned into the Thing. Still, Xan's probably gonna have words with Morul after the minimission. Though I don't really want or need it either, so all Xan'll really be looking for is a token, even if he somehow mugs you to accomplish that.))
Sig! Onol

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21910 on: December 18, 2013, 05:35:49 am »

((Repeating the previous in-character request out-of-character.

Can somebody lend Anton a Mk3, a rocketbike, or some tokens to purchase either? He's kind of low on mobility right now, and won't be able to convert his wheelchair into a proper transport with the Armory down.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21911 on: December 18, 2013, 06:40:17 am »

((On that topic, I just wanted to note:

Tyranids are essentially 'beaten' through war, bullets and manpower.
The Altered, as far as we can tell, were killed out through war, bullets and manpower.
Hell, even the MassEffect universe's reapers (Massive capital-ship sized AI which created new troops out of their fallen/captured enemies) were pushed back pretty far by bullets, war and manpower.

But something like the flood with the only solution being "eliminate their food source" is a different scale of threat, canonically.
(Although I haven't played Halo 3-onwards, so I dunno how they end up pulling it off)).
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21912 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:31 am »

((On that topic, I just wanted to note:

Tyranids are essentially 'beaten' through war, bullets and manpower.
The Altered, as far as we can tell, were killed out through war, bullets and manpower.
Hell, even the MassEffect universe's reapers (Massive capital-ship sized AI which created new troops out of their fallen/captured enemies) were pushed back pretty far by bullets, war and manpower.

But something like the flood with the only solution being "eliminate their food source" is a different scale of threat, canonically.
(Although I haven't played Halo 3-onwards, so I dunno how they end up pulling it off)).

(( I'm not sure any of those can be said to have been 'beaten'. In rough order, cause bored...

Tyranids: I don't know enough about WH40k, so I might just have to skip over them, though if I had to guess I'd say they were 'beaten' in the same way an infection is beaten.

Altered: Especially the altered. The one (consistently brought up) fight with the altered is Heaphestus, a fight which by all appearances went disastrously. I don't think we've seen a simulation of that that went well for the player, unless they cheated in piles of fusion instigators. And Steve just said that that was toned *DOWN* from reality! Keep in mind that we don't really know how we beat the altered. Only how we *say* we did it, which was, as you said, with 'war, bullets, and manpower'. In fact, the clearest picture we (the players, only a few of Jim's team actually saw this IC) have of an *actual* battle with the altered is one in which we did exactly what happened with the flood- A planet was glassed, with friendly troops still on it, to stop the altered. ))

Reapers: Cheated. Oh gods did we, and the writers, cheat. We did not beat the reavers with war. We beat *a* reaver at war. The reavers won the war. We beat them with pure space magic, if we can even be said to have defeated them at all. We lost pretty much every direct encounter with them. Handily.

The Flood: ... you're making me want to go play Halo. I don't want to go play Halo. Cause I don't actually remember how the flood arc ended. I'm remembering how the forerunners planned the end (complete extinction of organic life) but not how it actually ended XD ))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21913 on: December 18, 2013, 07:38:17 am »

((Yeah don't even try and pass the ME3 crap off as a war. The entire plot was "Your choices no longer matter because we got lazy so heres a big Deus Ex Machina, pick your color and pay us more money to poorly pace our trilogies."))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21914 on: December 18, 2013, 07:46:22 am »

((1. Everything that can be said about the Tyranid has pretty much been said. Hyper-intelligent dinosaur things which tailor their sub-species specifically to what they're trying to kill at the time, from massive four-armed Tank-Killer Carnifexes to mass swarms of small leech-shooting termagaunts, to self-disguising interbreeding Genestealers. The 'threat' is actually an incomprehensibly large mass of Tyranid 'ships' from outside the galaxy, and all of the 'Hive Fleets' entering the galaxy are (comparatively) tiny tendrils which basically punch through solar systems at a time.
The only instances I really remember of a tendril being stopped (Both by the Imperium of Man) is the DoWII (Game) one, where they basically had to wait for it to take over and begin consuming their homeworld, and then come back on a suicide misison, drop on the world and inject the massive prehensile tendrils sprouting from the ground with a type of poison to try and corrupt their pool of biomass. It worked, but plot-wise it was a bit of a stretch- Meanwhile the second was Macragge, which was basically the second most fortified planet in the known galaxy, and they had 90% of their army stay and take massive losses whilst their elite company beamed into the hivemind itself in order to take complete losses, and kill it.
Only issue is, the 'Hiveminds' are one per fleet, which again is a comparatively tiny part of the whole Tyranid force.
... That went a lot longer than i expected. Enjoy your 2 min requisite sci-fi education.
tl;dr, The Zerg on crack

2. Has anybody asked Steve how the battle at Hephaestus ended? or even the Altered war?

3. Hey, ME3, you beat two reapers, one via sandworm, the other via nuclear payload delivered from orbit - in what we assume is a direct encounter.

4. I feel you bro.

Sorry if we're sidelining this discussion too much.))
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 2101