_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 [1230] 1231 1232 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5937780 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Mission 11: The first death.
« Reply #18435 on: September 23, 2013, 01:15:59 pm »

Crate-dom looks good.

send the scout-eye through the door.. presuming someone opens it at some point.  Oh, and check and see if any of the crates on the gangway have the -EX markings Steve was talking about.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18436 on: September 23, 2013, 01:22:29 pm »

((That was a joke. Piecewise wouldn't do something as simple as playing Asteroids with moons and planets. They would probably be eldritch planets full of altered biomass, mindfuck and civilians to accidentally murder.))
((Brethren Moons from Dead Space 3?))

Not a good idea, I see. Need mobility.

Melt the dome off at the juncture it's connected to my head. Then melt the rest of the metal off my hands.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18437 on: September 23, 2013, 01:45:58 pm »

((Assuming you don't blast it into pieces small enough that they either burn up in the atmosphere or can't do damage individually. A thousand-ton rock dumped into the atmosphere would do a lot more than a thousand tons of cotton.))
((That's actually a misconception. The amount of energy delivered wouldn't be significantly reduced. The damage would be less localized, there will probably be a little less of a crust-shattering crater, but the total energy of the rock would just be dispersed, and would be transferred into the atmosphere. The heat from the small fragments burning up would be not be much less than what you'd have from the single rock, the overpressure shockwave would be worse, if anything, the tectonic effects would be somewhat weaker, but the amount of "ejecta" from the impact would just be replaced by an equivalent amount of asteroid dust.
So no, blasting it into lots of small fragments doesn't reduce the damage by much. The point of blasting the asteroid into small fragments is that the small fragments will deviate from the asteroid's impact trajectory, and will either miss the planet entirely or impact at a sufficiently later date from the others that the planet has time to recover.))
((Wouldn't the shockwave, heat, and stuff be dispersed by the atmosphere so that it damages a much larger area, but affects each area less?))
((Yes, but if the object was large enough it wouldn't matter, the impact would still send up just as much dust into the atmosphere and cause a sun-blocking extinction event. And even if the object WASN'T that horribly huge, its still pretty situational as to whether hitting a larger area softer is better then hitting a single one harder. I.E. it depends upon population centers near impact zones and whatnot. With a single large impact you can at least calculate who you need to evacuate pretty easily.
No matter what, the point is, its hitting with exactly the same force no matter how many pieces its in. So if you were expecting an Earth-Shattering-Kaboom before smashies, you can still expect the same boom. Just in a lot of places at once.))

STEPHEN HAWKING pre-calculates how he would have to amp-punch certain crates to launch them into goons faces. Preferably with pinball-esque rebounds.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18438 on: September 23, 2013, 01:53:54 pm »

((Assuming you don't blast it into pieces small enough that they either burn up in the atmosphere or can't do damage individually. A thousand-ton rock dumped into the atmosphere would do a lot more than a thousand tons of cotton.))
((That's actually a misconception. The amount of energy delivered wouldn't be significantly reduced. The damage would be less localized, there will probably be a little less of a crust-shattering crater, but the total energy of the rock would just be dispersed, and would be transferred into the atmosphere. The heat from the small fragments burning up would be not be much less than what you'd have from the single rock, the overpressure shockwave would be worse, if anything, the tectonic effects would be somewhat weaker, but the amount of "ejecta" from the impact would just be replaced by an equivalent amount of asteroid dust.
So no, blasting it into lots of small fragments doesn't reduce the damage by much. The point of blasting the asteroid into small fragments is that the small fragments will deviate from the asteroid's impact trajectory, and will either miss the planet entirely or impact at a sufficiently later date from the others that the planet has time to recover.))
((Wouldn't the shockwave, heat, and stuff be dispersed by the atmosphere so that it damages a much larger area, but affects each area less?))
((Yes, but if the object was large enough it wouldn't matter, the impact would still send up just as much dust into the atmosphere and cause a sun-blocking extinction event. And even if the object WASN'T that horribly huge, its still pretty situational as to whether hitting a larger area softer is better then hitting a single one harder. I.E. it depends upon population centers near impact zones and whatnot. With a single large impact you can at least calculate who you need to evacuate pretty easily.
No matter what, the point is, its hitting with exactly the same force no matter how many pieces its in. So if you were expecting an Earth-Shattering-Kaboom before smashies, you can still expect the same boom. Just in a lot of places at once.))

((Really, a not-entirely-accurate-but-still-pretty-good saying I've heard is that if you fragment an impactor like that, you're basically replacing a shotgun slug with birdshot of the equivalent mass))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18439 on: September 23, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »

((Really, a not-entirely-accurate-but-still-pretty-good saying I've heard is that if you fragment an impactor like that, you're basically replacing a shotgun slug with birdshot of the equivalent mass))
((Somewhat unrelatedly, a similar effect was noted in the game called Edge of Chaos, which featured "distortion array shields" that turned coherent particle blasts and solid objects into harmless proton/particle sprays on impact. The effect works as a shield only until you're being shot at with something that doesn't care for coherence - i.e. antimatter. It's the same here - damage is only slightly reduced and is less localized, but the bulk of it is still there.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #18440 on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »

"Is that guy planting a bomb? Steve, if the bomb goes up where that guy is setting it, what'll happen to us, the gangway, and the ship?"

Ask Steve. Do not count the bomb-layer as an attacker, regardless of answer.

Be ready to defend the ship. Use the rifle to focus on attackers. Heat a 1-foot sphere in the center of mass of any attackers that come rather than firing the rifle, though.

Spoiler: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:27:10 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18441 on: September 23, 2013, 02:17:27 pm »

Much better. Now, you be good little drones for Feyri, Orbb and Tiu.

Get into cover behind our first row of arranged crates, wait for the assault team to breach the door.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18442 on: September 23, 2013, 02:20:15 pm »

Keep looking for sods. If they present themselves, murdermangle with mass amp. If they do not, keep looking some more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18443 on: September 23, 2013, 03:14:47 pm »

((I would argue that, at least with asteroids that wouldn't be planetary catastrophes beforehand, spreading it out would be good; a heat wave followed by a cold snap and a bunch of dust in the air are pretty negligible, while a concentrated hit could easily wipe a nearby city or a bunch of farms or something off the map.))

((Hm...I'd say that depends on the exact mechanics of the kaboom and how close to the minimum kaboomy energy the impact was. Imagine four half-eggshells and a book: If you rest the book's weight on the eggshells, they'll probably hold, but if you balance the book's weight on four pins beforehand they probably won't. Okay, that's a terrible analogy, but you get my point, which is: "Explain to be how the planet would blow up from the asteroid impact, and I'll let you know if I think blowing it up might mitigate the damage to the 're-terraformable' level."))

((Excellent analogy. Or close enough. Really, it depends on the level of fragmentation.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18444 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »

Charles performs a motivational speech to the rest of his comrades in the defense team via radio, he attempts to boost their morale.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18445 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:56 pm »

Charles performs a motivational speech to the rest of his comrades in the defense team via radio, he attempts to boost their morale.
((Why, you mad fool?! Are you TRYING to get yourself killed?
Good luck, you brave beautiful bastard.))
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18446 on: September 23, 2013, 03:36:56 pm »

((I could say the same about the ClF3 pills, I appreciate and reciprocate your sentiment. Good luck getting rid of the dome.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18447 on: September 23, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »

((I could say the same about the ClF3 pills, I appreciate and reciprocate your sentiment. Good luck getting rid of the dome.))
((I'm relatively safe since if I disastrously overshoot Steve'll incapacitate me, though. You have no such recourse.))
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18448 on: September 23, 2013, 03:47:28 pm »

((I'm relatively safe since if I disastrously overshoot Steve'll incapacitate me, though. You have no such recourse.))

((You are currently going to cover your head in molten metal. And planning to somehow succeed and not die in the process. I'm not entirely confident if Steve will save you in case of a 5+1, or a 4+2, either. The way I see it, he just wants to prevent inevitable collateral damage.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18449 on: September 23, 2013, 03:50:16 pm »

((Actually I'm just covering my scalp with molten metal at worst, and at best I'm cutting the dome off.
I may die, but unless there's a pill for inhumanly strong necks I think I'm stuck until I do.))
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 1228 1229 [1230] 1231 1232 ... 2101