_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5927038 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Feyri needs a hug.
« Reply #17790 on: September 15, 2013, 12:48:18 am »

((I have no idea if you are serious or not...))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17791 on: September 15, 2013, 12:57:04 am »

"If you have more tokens you want to spend, you can always buy another battery for the Saber. The Gungnir lets you pack two extras into the casing here, because that's the only ammo limit it has, and I thought it could use extending."
". . .So about this new weapon you devised. How will it work, exactly? Any safety measures put in place?"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #17792 on: September 15, 2013, 01:16:01 am »

((Also, to anyone who liked PW's X-COM: Enemy Unknown HMRC Antics, the DLC Enemy Within adds gene-modding your soldiers, and cyborg/mech (they are cyborgs who pilot mechs) soldiers. Which you get access to by collecting items that will only appear once every time a map containing them is played (therefore, there is a hard-set limit on them in each playthrough), and EXPLODE if you don't find the second of the pair or finish the mission before a timer runs out.

Yeah.))
((Wait is this something for the actual game?))

((I have no idea if you are serious or not...))

(("Producer 2K revealed details about XCOM: Enemy Within, the upcoming expansion to XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The main features are the addition of the Meld, a substance that allows you to create a new class (Mech Troopers), with new weapons and abilities or to genetically enhance your soldiers (Gene Mods), along with other features. The release date is November 12th and check the full details on the XCOM: Enemy Within page."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:23:12 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17793 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:31 am »

"If you have more tokens you want to spend, you can always buy another battery for the Saber. The Gungnir lets you pack two extras into the casing here, because that's the only ammo limit it has, and I thought it could use extending."
". . .So about this new weapon you devised. How will it work, exactly? Any safety measures put in place?"
"The Gungnir? Well, it's an electrolaser. It kind of depends on the presence of an atmosphere - some kind of gas between the gun and the target. The laser, burning a path for itself through the gas, it creates a tunnel of sorts, filled with ionized gas - a plasma conduit, if you will. The Tesla Saber here is a powerful electricity source, using some of that modern space magic to prevent it from arcing to things you don't want it to. When you combine the two, you essentially get a free-floating, superconductive wire, connecting your Saber to your target. Much like you can shock everyone in the room by stabbing the Saber into a metal floor, this plasma-conduit left by the laser allows you to shock anything the laser hits. If it's a living target, then even if the laser didn't kill them enough, the electricity will. Robots might not fare much better either.

Safety measures are... not much. It's no more dangerous than any powerful weapon, the only precautions are the same as for both of the two components. Don't aim at teammates, try not to aim at a metal surface you might be in contact with. The Saber is perfectly positioned to work like a bayonet, and with the nature of the Saber the extra distance from your arms is only a plus. The parts I'm adding allow you to trigger the Saber and the Laser both, or separately, without groping all over the weapon.

About the only thing I'd like to caution against is sweeping. You know, how most people tend to attack with a laser the first time they hold one - jam the trigger and swipe the beam left to right across everyone in front of them. The electrolaser won't work like that. You'll be creating a cloud of ionized gas instead of a single tunnel, and electricity will start arcing out of the containment field of the Saber, without a guarantee that it'll strike the target you aim for instead of something else. Slow, controlled sweeps, letting the gas naturally dissipate without distorting the plasma channel. Otherwise it might go haywire. Being hit by artificial lightning is not something anyone wants to accidentally experience.
"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: September 15, 2013, 02:01:17 am »

((Just one token remaining now))
"Cool, So how effective is this? also is there a way of connecting a gauss generator/capacitor bank to a manipulator to provide power?"
Ask, then message the doctor

Quote from: Message For the Doctor
I heard you perform modifications on us soldiers with relatively good success rates I was wondering if you desired another test subject?
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: September 15, 2013, 02:02:40 am »

"Ready to kick some ass Thomas?"
Thomas nods.
"Ready as I'll ever be. Hope this goes well though."
Suddenly, he looks up.
"Steve, are there any places in the staging area I could use as a sniper nest?"
Be ready

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17796 on: September 15, 2013, 02:37:55 am »

wait for mission
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: September 15, 2013, 03:02:30 am »

"Being hit by artificial lightning is not something anyone wants to accidentally experience."
"Ahaha-haha..yeah. Erm, not good.

"So how about insulating the MKIII? Do you know any substances that would both resist the electrical discharge and the heat simulated if in case the weapon goes...'awry'?"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17798 on: September 15, 2013, 03:53:26 am »

"Being hit by artificial lightning is not something anyone wants to accidentally experience."
"Ahaha-haha..yeah. Erm, not good.

"So how about insulating the MKIII? Do you know any substances that would both resist the electrical discharge and the heat simulated if in case the weapon goes...'awry'?"

"...Rubber? Spidersilk? Anything dense and non-conductive will do. For just electricity, you could do with a faraday cage of sorts, a flexible wire mesh underlay with a layer of insulating material underneath. Not perfect, but anything that makes electricity want to take a path that's not through your body should work.

Should probably point out that it won't save against friendly fire. Yet another perk of the electrolaser is that the laser punches through any outer insulation too.
"

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: September 15, 2013, 06:09:43 am »

((Are defenders doing their thing on the ship thread, or mission thread?))
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17800 on: September 15, 2013, 06:14:57 am »

((Id say on ship))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: September 15, 2013, 06:25:11 am »

((Hey guys, if I ever happen to get suddenly banned from the forums, the most likely thing is that I was using a racial slur common in the hip-hop world that has been deemed "derogatory" on here.))
But TCM, how can they get mad at you? You're black! Just like I'm a hot asian woman.
wat
((I know, how can a robot be a hot Asian woman? Although, if a robot resembling an attractive woman was designed, I suppose it would be done first by someone in Asia. Partly statistics, given how Asia has a plurality if not a majority of the world's population, and partly because, well...Japan.))

Get Lyra's attention. Or Lenglon's.
"Um...Lyra...you remember when you were crying on the one robot person...was the person Miss Feyri?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #17802 on: September 15, 2013, 06:39:37 am »

"Gorat, you have just been promoted to Second in commad for now unless Feyri doesn't want to be second in command."

Gorat narrows his eyes and thinks for a bit. "Well, at least you can control me if this goes horribly wrong.."

"I have no problem with him as a second-in-command. Gorat, wasn't it? Ok. As long as you don't act like a complete idiot, we'll get along just fine."

"It's what I try to do."

Spoiler: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17803 on: September 15, 2013, 06:47:29 am »

((Hey guys, if I ever happen to get suddenly banned from the forums, the most likely thing is that I was using a racial slur common in the hip-hop world that has been deemed "derogatory" on here.))
But TCM, how can they get mad at you? You're black! Just like I'm a hot asian woman.
wat
((I know, how can a robot be a hot Asian woman? Although, if a robot resembling an attractive woman was designed, I suppose it would be done first by someone in Asia. Partly statistics, given how Asia has a plurality if not a majority of the world's population, and partly because, well...Japan.))
((My forehead is red now. Thanks. :P
:I))

"...Rubber? Spidersilk? Anything dense and non-conductive will do. For just electricity, you could do with a faraday cage of sorts, a flexible wire mesh underlay with a layer of insulating material underneath. Not perfect, but anything that makes electricity want to take a path that's not through your body should work.

Should probably point out that it won't save against friendly fire. Yet another perk of the electrolaser is that the laser punches through any outer insulation too.
"
No I do not want to lose whatever part of me is-
. . .Oh right.
Well..I suppose being a brain in a robot body is..ok.
. . .
It's not ok.

"Can't you just reroute the environmental sources of energy (like solar power) to recharge the battery? I'm more of that kind of person--reuseable ammunition. Also, a diverting route so if in case of malfunction, it won't direct upon its owner? I'm thinking the casing around the ammunition storage."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: September 15, 2013, 07:12:50 am »

"Can't you just reroute the environmental sources of energy (like solar power) to recharge the battery? I'm more of that kind of person--reuseable ammunition. Also, a diverting route so if in case of malfunction, it won't direct upon its owner? I'm thinking the casing around the ammunition storage."
"Well, the matter of recharging the batteries is a matter of getting rechargeable batteries - there's a whole generator here that could recharge them when you're not firing. Tesla Saber batteries being what they are, I am uncertain they can be rechargeable, though. It's hard to make this kind of weapon fully independent of consumable powersources - believe me, I tried. The laser's going to work as long as you need it to, the generator in the stock here will take care of that, but a generator to power the Saber would have to be even bigger and heavier - I want to make a rifle, not a siege weapon. Heh.

A malfunction would have to be pretty darn severe to make it shock the owner. A big part of the reason for using the Saber as-is, is that kind of safety - it's not going to malfunction any more than a Saber would. And the batteries, for all their power density, should theoretically be safe enough. I haven't been hitting it with any sledgehammers or axes, but I suspect that if a battery is breached, it's just going to short out and explode, at worst.

If you're worried about getting shocked by the weapon itself though, well, there isn't much to say about it. It's a gun that shoots lightning. Exercising some kind of care in handling is probably the best way to stay unharmed.
"

((edit: just to clarify, in case you haven't seen it, I've sketched the Gungnir-S down as looking roughly like this.))
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:17:05 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 2101