Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help With Magma  (Read 2745 times)

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help With Magma
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:59:25 pm »

I want to make magma smelter's using Floodgates and I need to know how to do it. Also, is basalt fireproof? How 'bout Microcline?

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Magma
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

I think basalt is magma proof, but if you want to be sure use obsidian or bauxite.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »

A lot of stone is magmaproof, check the wiki theres a list there, and TinyPirates newby guide has a good magma-smelter guide.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:22 am »

Dig a magma pipe system underneath the area where the workshops will be. Plan the placement carefully: only one tile over magma is required for smooth operation, and that tile should better be impassable, so that magma creatures can't shoot or invade through it.
With furnaces, it's upper central tile, with forges they are left central and rigth central.
After the pipe system is ready, breach the way to magma reservoir (sea or othervise)
As always with magma, don't expose your miners even to the shortest contact. Always prefer channeling the way to magma reservoir from above, even if it requires you to put back the floor and means one stone will lie in the pipe forever.
If it is absolutely required to dig or carve fortifications  on the same level with magma, make sure your miner/engraver isn't wearing anything that can catch fire nor anything that is magma proof. Also, get their beards shaven off. That way, you make sure both that the dwarf won't catch fire and you won't have any inaccessible stuff littering your stocks screen.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:38:31 am »

As always with magma, don't expose your miners even to the shortest contact. Always prefer channeling the way to magma reservoir from above, even if it requires you to put back the floor and means one stone will lie in the pipe forever.
If it is absolutely required to dig or carve fortifications  on the same level with magma, make sure your miner/engraver isn't wearing anything that can catch fire nor anything that is magma proof. Also, get their beards shaven off. That way, you make sure both that the dwarf won't catch fire and you won't have any inaccessible stuff littering your stocks screen.
I actually have been using the smooth/carve fortifications in the side of the magma pipe and have never had a single fatality in my 4 some years of playing DF. Simply make sure that you have a stairwell within a short distance of the pipe, and make sure that you have another digging designation active elsewhere. If you don't have another designation elsewhere then it's possible the miner could decided to pause there for a few moments, which could prove fatal, but with another designation they will immediately leave the pipe and be fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:27:31 am »

I want to make magma smelter's using Floodgates and I need to know how to do it. Also, is basalt fireproof? How 'bout Microcline?

This is a list on the wiki of all magma-safe materials

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:17 am »

An easy way to determine if something is magma safe is to build a magma smelter up until the point you have to designate what materials you'll use in its construction.  The list shown to you for your choices of materials contains only magma safe items.

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:03 pm »

Dig a magma pipe system underneath the area where the workshops will be. Plan the placement carefully: only one tile over magma is required for smooth operation, and that tile should better be impassable, so that magma creatures can't shoot or invade through it.
With furnaces, it's upper central tile, with forges they are left central and rigth central.
After the pipe system is ready, breach the way to magma reservoir (sea or othervise)
I can't, I'm getting the lava from a volcano

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:37:57 pm »

Do like creatures live in volcano's? IF they do, do they have lava parties? I wanna go to one.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:39:00 pm »

Do like creatures live in volcano's? IF they do, do they have lava parties? I wanna go to one.

Wild animals will spawn in magma if they are capable. Like fire-snakes. Cannot party in lava due to the table's idea that its a good idea to dis-assemble in magma.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

The Unicorn Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42:03 pm »

Interesting idea's on the psychology of tables, I agree. Also I know animals like fire-imps live in magma, but I haven't seen any in my volcano.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »

Magma Crabs are chronic in my volcano.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:40:01 pm »

Basalt are magma-proff...my entire fort beside a volcane is made out of it...even the first worksshops.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:01 am »

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:23 am »

Pages: [1] 2