Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shopkeepers' Housing  (Read 5632 times)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Shopkeepers' Housing
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »

Quick question: I know that workshops currently don't create noise, so I was thinking of (just like in real life) creating the
"home" of any dwarf that has a workshop right above the workshop (like a 2nd story). I'm going to hollow out two z levels basically and in doing create multi story condos and such.

They still will need to go to dining hall for food and recreation, but having their home above the shop should make them more efficient, right? Also, noise wouldn't be a problem anyway I just considered because if they are sleeping they ain't working.

Anyone tried this?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shopkeepers' Housing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »

Nope, but I'm thinking of doing something similar for my next fort.  It appeals to the "compartmentalize!!" part of my OCD.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »

Quick question: I know that workshops currently don't create noise, so I was thinking of (just like in real life) creating the
"home" of any dwarf that has a workshop right above the workshop (like a 2nd story). I'm going to hollow out two z levels basically and in doing create multi story condos and such.

They still will need to go to dining hall for food and recreation, but having their home above the shop should make them more efficient, right? Also, noise wouldn't be a problem anyway I just considered because if they are sleeping they ain't working.

Anyone tried this?

Yes, that is my usual setup, although the room is usually below the workshop with storage above it.  I use a manager to assign particular dwarves to particular workshops and assign the room below.  I also build soldier's rooms near barracks and doctor's rooms near hospitals, etc.  There is no dedicated bedroom area or level.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:21:12 pm »

When you say 'storage' above do you mean a room of similar size to bedroom/workshop, or a wide open storage 'floor'?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »

One time I assigned each workshop a 5x5 area.  Workshop in the middle, 5x1 input and output stockpiles on either side, 1-tile bedroom, 2-tile dining room, 1 tile prepared meal stockpile, 2 tile drink stockpile.  I was going to enforce them with burrows too.

Don't ask if it worked though, I got distracted and didn't continue.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:58 am »

I tried once building an entire underground town, with 2 storey housing (with a gap between the roof and the cave ceiling), but the channelling designations resulted in a LOT of cave ins without extensive micromanagement. Definitely do-able though.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:40 am »

I've done this with 3 floors.  Lowest floor is a series of stockpiles for intake and output.  Like the mason's house has a stone stockpile along the bottom floor, and a furniture stockpile.  Mainly though, this was an output pile.  In the second floor, there was the workshop itself and a small intake pile, for very quick pathing 2 steps away to the next material.  Third floor was a 5x5 luxurious bedroom, with several beds because everyone apparently has a family now.  It worked surprisingly well, and minecarts will only make it better.  I even set up a series of tables along the bottom floor and one chair to designate a dining hall, as if the little midget was actually conducting business, while actually people were just taking his goods freely.  Still, should be interesting once inns are added and dwarves can earn actual gold.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:45:09 am »

I'm designing a fort with this idea and another one that each industry should have its own cluster of workshops and living quarters that I can lock down and flood at will with the general stockpile/marketplace in the middle.

My only problem is the huge commute time when it comes to doing this with a low number of people, as I'm thinking about disabling hauling jobs from most of the craftsmen and let the peasants handle all of that.

Although it's nice when you get masterwork statues on the jewelry shop of a certain individual who is authorized to use higher quality gems to decorate them with. Still sometimes they go and stud some anvil with diamonds or whatever. Sigh.

But as I've said, the general problem is that you need a temporary solution until you can build everything, and then it becomes a huge nightmare for me to keep track of everything while I relocate to the new quarters. I would need to take a few days planning on paper or paint to get it done I guess, sigh.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:22 am »

My only real problem implementing this was dwarfs want to sleep with their spouses.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:07:11 am »

I'd say compartmentalizing is going to become more popular with the introduction of minecarts. You can keep closed systems resupplied easily with minecarts and you could easily keep dwarves isolated for their entire lives without much micromanagement. I do like the idea of giving the dwarves minimal excuses to trek across the map to get supplies or to sleep though and im definetly gonna try one of these forts next release
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »

Do dwarven families share a bad? I've never assigned more than one bed to a bedroom. I always just assumed the wife moved in with the husband leaving her old room empty. You're right though that if you set up a burrow system you need to mzke sure the spouse works nearby, too. Unless they are a hauler I guess.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

Do dwarven families share a bad? I've never assigned more than one bed to a bedroom. I always just assumed the wife moved in with the husband leaving her old room empty. You're right though that if you set up a burrow system you need to mzke sure the spouse works nearby, too. Unless they are a hauler I guess.
Husband/Wife and babies share beds, yes. I believe that children will claim their own if possible. Also unless you clear out the ownership if two dwarves both have bedrooms and then get married they will still own both of them even though they only need one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »

Well unless both are important people like armorsmiths and such, I don't really care if one has to walk 2 kilometers to harvest plump helmets. Maybe I could use the useless spouse as the hauler for the shop =P
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:30:23 am »

But as I've said, the general problem is that you need a temporary solution until you can build everything, and then it becomes a huge nightmare for me to keep track of everything while I relocate to the new quarters. I would need to take a few days planning on paper or paint to get it done I guess, sigh.

You need a hobbit hole. Immediately upon embark I build a small facility that I can take just about anywhere;

Central corridor two tiles wide
Straight at the entrance is a 5x5 wood stockpile, a carpenters shop and a 5x5 furniture/finished goods stockpile
Opposite that is a 5x5 dormitory
Beside the dormitory, deeper into the hole is a 5x5 dining room (with optional offices branching off for my manager and book keeper)
At the end of the hole is a 6x6 food stockpile with a still and fishery next to it. Branching from the stockpile is 2 4x4 fields with one set to grow plump helmets and the other cave wheat (guarantees food and booze since that's all cave wheat can be used for without more workshops)

Construct 5-7 beds, 5 tables and chairs and any desired/required doors. The whole operation can be up and running before the end of spring and this will easily look after your starting 7 and can be quickly expanded with more furniture to accommodate migrants. The hobbit hole is also stone independent, I routinely embark on aquifers so as long as there's wood to hand you'll be fine.

Obviously this is just what works best for me (I'm quite particular about where and how I embark) but it should cover anything and everything a dwarf needs in the opening year or two. And since it's such a small investment, sealing it off when you're ready to relocate is easy. Delete the stockpiles, deconstruct the still and kitchen, release the dining hall and dormitory, delete the farm plots and your dwarves will do the rest. You could also leave it there as an excellent migrant holding-pen if you burrow all your assigned dwarves into the fortress proper and seal the doors when the migrants arrive (so they'll path to the hobbit hole dining room)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:33:21 am by xmakina »
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:55:10 am »

Hehe, thanks a lot, that will come in handy. My general problem is the reluctance of digging anything that might not look nice later but my last project died because I was living on the surface without adequate protection (fliers, sigh) since I didn't want to get down until it was all done. About 70 people living on the surface make a lot of clutter because I didn't think it would take that long to get set up and had to improvise new facilities every time a migrant wave arrived. And constant sieges by various Fortress Defense races didn't help matters.

On topic: so the solution I came up was "Guild halls" such as Miner's guild and all that with their own gardens/dining rooms/living quarters. Although minecarts would be nice to facilitate transportation, I should have ample supply of fishers and milkers thanks to migrants. With the current design nobody should have to walk more than two guildhalls to get anywhere but then again things will go wrong.

Oh and I'm planning on making  the hospital a temple and renaming all the doctor professions as "Priests".
Pages: [1] 2