Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifact xbows?  (Read 5880 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact xbows?
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:43:37 am »

Quality just matters for firepower right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact xbows?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:45:08 am »

I thought the only thing that mattered about xbow was the material to hit things with, as a silver xbow was better than a bronze xbow and adamantine xbows were useless. Never heard anything about the value modifier making it better.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:59:04 am »

As per the Weapons article on the wiki:

Crossbows can be made of metal, wood, and bone. Metal crossbows are made by a weaponsmith at a forge, while wood and bone crossbows are made by a bowyer at a bowyer's workshop. The material of a crossbow does not affect its firing ability, only its melee damage. A dwarf's marksmanship skill is only affected by the core quality of the bow. This may be a consideration when deciding which dwarf you want outfitting your marksdwarves: a legendary bowyer is a better choice than a proficient weaponsmith.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:10 am »

Its a great bow.  Just don't use it for a dwarf you expect to send into melee combat.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:26 am »

Its a great bow.  Just don't use it for a dwarf you expect to send into melee combat.
I don't know why they chose humie and kobold bone when there were tons of roc bone nearby.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:16:36 am »

I've gotten three artifact xbows in my current fortress, one each of adamantine, lead, and gold.

I don't know if the latter two would be better in the hands of legendary marksdwarves or legendary hammerdwarves.  A 2-man hammerdwarf squad might be interesting; those dwarves could be effective at both ranged and melee combat.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:54 am »

I don't know why they chose humie and kobold bone when there were tons of roc bone nearby.

it doesn't matter for its performance.  Bone is bone.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:51 am »

it doesn't matter for its performance.  Bone is bone.
Isn't roc bone denser and more valuable?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:18 am »

Valuable, yes. Denser, no. Human bone is much much cooler though.
This is a blank sig.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »

The coolest is exotic dangerous animal bone, like sea serpent, I'd say.  And I put elf bone as funnier than goblin.  Goblin makes too much sense, and is more plentiful.  Elf is more amusing, because I can revel in my completely unfounded yet eternal hatred/genocide of their species, and if you don't fix the diplomats, then you only get a couple per year.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »

It would be amusing if you modded goblins out and made elves be [BABYSNATCHERS], and then waged war on them using only elf bone armor, elf bone crossbows, and elf bone bolts.

But for crossbows I haven't noticed all that much difference in the material they're made out of. Massed crossbows will handle nearly anything. The few survivors are then no threat at all, and can be clubbed to death at your leisure.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »

In the hands of your CotG that thing may be very useful. Beatings have no effect but in actual combat he may easily kill something from a distance.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »

In the hands of your CotG that thing may be very useful. Beatings have no effect but in actual combat he WILL easily kill EVERYTHING from a distance.

ftfy

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:28 am »

Dabbling marksdwarf and wooden bolts. Your "ftfy" is invalid.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:58:41 am »

Dabbling marksdwarf and wooden bolts. Your "ftfy" is invalid.

They can murder anything with enough dakka.
Pages: [1] 2