Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What shoul sell the Auto Union retail division?

Let's focus in cars, trucks, finished stuff only; be a realtailer!
- 3 (21.4%)
Keep the current inventory mix, it has worked fine til now!
- 3 (21.4%)
Become a tuning car shop, add engines and chip to stores
- 2 (14.3%)
Stay hungry, stay gredish: sell everything that we produce in the whole vehicle chain to keep surplus at minimum
- 6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort  (Read 32826 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort
« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2012, 10:38:33 am »

I didn't realise the reward would actually pay for the cars, if that's the case then we'll make about 33k on them since the quest reward works out to almost 80k per car (which is what we're selling them for)
bad maths for the win.
We'll lose 50k each on the cars, not really worth it unless we have alot of cars lieing around that'll take days to sell off.

polled  ;D

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:59 am »

Yeah i didn't mean we would actually lose money, just lose potential profit.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:20 pm »

I don't really like quests. They're only worth doing if you have an excess of stock and want to dump it somewhere. Fame isn't really that great once you have enough to IPO, and even influence needs a little money with it now.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:22 am »

I see that we're upgrading the 200m^2 store to 510m^2. That's good and all but really, we should be building out the other slots.

Think of it this way -- by doing that upgrade instead of building a new store, we lost the selling power of the 200m^2 store for the entire duration of the upgrade. If we built a new store at the same cost, we would still have the 200m^2 store selling stuff while the other one is being built.

Also, more stores built gives us more flexibility in upgrading and also increases the total amount we can grow our total retail space by per tick (if all 12 slots are built out, we can increase by 12m^2 per tick if everything is upgrading).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2012, 01:57:09 am »

To be honest, I didn't want to push the size up this far, as it outstrip our current production, which is already thin.

But there was a quest and we had the money an ultimately the bigger the better (best more selling power than production capacity)

I'm not all in favor of much many more stores. Consider that a million dropped on store advertising double it's effective capacity and seems quite more effective. We shpuld run the math on this..

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:46 am »

Stores always generate cash because we can just flip imports at 2x cost and make money on them. The stuff we produce and sell at retail is just extra profit.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

Advertising does decay though, its good to keep it high but in the long run an actual size upgrade saves money.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:53 am »

I did reapply for the CEO position, you know.

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »

Welp, our car sales are in the shitter now with the new "buff" to auto company retail. All it did was make the demand met percentage go through the roof (it's at 150% now) which means everyone's sales are slowing. And the funny thing is that supermarkets (which were supposed to be nerf'd), now are recovering because the demand met is really low for all their products. My supermarkets are making as much money as before.

The dev should have adjusted the total demand at the same time as this balance update but from what I've heard, he only increased demand for jewelry (probably due to Synreal / "Chad the Launderer" QQ'ing on the forums about how his jewelry stores aren't making enough money).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »

well, we can stop moving imports and actually start a self sustaining production. we should start beating others on the price merit, while pushing up quality and keepong everything in the 2x sweet spot

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2012, 03:43:21 pm »

well, we can stop moving imports and actually start a self sustaining production. we should start beating others on the price merit, while pushing up quality and keepong everything in the 2x sweet spot

Well, I wouldn't _stop_ moving imports completely. But ramping up production and selling stuff we make will definitely help.

BTW, I've adjusted the retail automation to buy up to 4 hours worth of stock from B2B (1 hour from import) as I've gotten a complaint about news feed spam from our company buying wheels every tick. It was set to 1 hour from B2B or import. Our inventory costs may go up a little as a result. Not sure how much we're really buying from B2B though.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »

yeah, what I meant was not to use import stuff into production chain to reduce overall prices (now that we can control the chain end to end)

obviously imports fills nicely for when production isn't ready

can your script complain about the lacking stuff? we could gather some stat about the most needed items. (I really should start writing something myself instead of nagging around)

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2012, 03:59:32 pm »

yeah, what I meant was not to use import stuff into production chain to reduce overall prices (now that we can control the chain end to end)

obviously imports fills nicely for when production isn't ready

can your script complain about the lacking stuff? we could gather some stat about the most needed items. (I really should start writing something myself instead of nagging around)

Hmmm, it can send in-game notifications when it runs but it doesn't do that for anything about retail (only research).

Not sure exactly what you're asking for though? It auto-buys when stock is low in the store.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 02, 2012, 09:44:30 pm »

Oh, didnt realize auto union was full of b12'ers xD

If there is ever a position open, I'd be interested, running a pretty decent company myself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BallC420

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:37 pm »

FYI, need another "Robot Butler" position posted for Rigapples.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24