Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What shoul sell the Auto Union retail division?

Let's focus in cars, trucks, finished stuff only; be a realtailer!
- 3 (21.4%)
Keep the current inventory mix, it has worked fine til now!
- 3 (21.4%)
Become a tuning car shop, add engines and chip to stores
- 2 (14.3%)
Stay hungry, stay gredish: sell everything that we produce in the whole vehicle chain to keep surplus at minimum
- 6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort  (Read 32865 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2012, 05:14:46 pm »

Production needs to make sure that the factories are all constantly running. Make something, anything, we'll find a way to sell it for profit somehow somewhere.

BTW, I made a document to make all this coordination easier.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15T7OBoVhlcjVauEMX5VuNZe5dg4vy08Kbsn2ZHRJnvA/edit

"4 hours worth of production" doesn't really help much with orders, since there's tons of poor documentation to sift through to find out what's needed. At least with this we can get clear orders.

PM me in game for access, so I know it's you, since I don't want random lurker trolls and industrial spies messing up orders. I'm Rorul Kunullung in game.

I added a comment with some tought on stock levels - should be pubblic.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2012, 08:31:45 pm »

I could just give you access if you give me a google account to link it to :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:32 pm »

Someone needs to set sale prices for retail goods... unless that is by design (admit I didn't read last couple posts)

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:02 pm »

...Why are we selling cars at 170k if they're 92k in the import market at double quality?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2012, 01:13:01 am »

The import market is horridly overpriced.
At $170k my quality 20 cars take 4 hours to sell a single car at a size 100 dealership.
at 100k it takes a few hours.
Currently i'm selling them at 50k and i sell 2 an hour, they only cost 8k to make, and i'm trying to balance the sale time by the time it actually takes me to make them.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2012, 04:59:43 am »

...Why are we selling cars at 170k if they're 92k in the import market at double quality?

I think for the one/two guilllibles that are around that sometimes buy them... they were up for 24 hours now, we sold one suv and the other stuff was ignored; I've took them back so we can sell them trough retail

if we sell them on b2b at less than import, we should have a nice source of income parallel to the stores, but only when we can actually stock the store properly (the maximum gain is when you can supply enough stuff to sell it at 2x, then you can sell the leftover over b2b)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2012, 10:27:06 am »

We seem to need a lot more wheels, want me to look for some or are we manufacturing them?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:45 am »

There are a hundred cooking but we may have another from import for sale purposes (those damn trucks...)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2012, 11:19:20 am »

Went ahead and calculated the effects of research and material quality on cars and other parts.

But while research on raw materials has the highest impact on final car quality, I'd still just recommend buying high Q coal/iron off the market, since it's so cheap. And maybe try to strike a contract with Valley Prospector (since he's B12 anyway) instead of spending money on research.

Also, interestingly, research on the vehicle bodies actually has more effect than researching the vehicles themselves. The return on Electronics research is so shitty (level 20 IC research means +0.3 to car quality) that we might as well just sell the electronics R&D for an automobile one.

(btw I expect a bonus for doing all this market research :P)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:54 pm »

What sorcery is this?  We now have 8 million in cash... and the store is stocked for the time being too!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2012, 02:20:08 pm »

time to start the spending!

;D

the second shop is growing slowly, I'd start expanding the research centers and one car factory.

the smelter is taking turns smelting/expanding ten points, as it's a bit critical

we could start a long term third shop, maybe? expanded to 250 from the start?

we can turn to b2b if we start overstocking the shop, but seems unlikely.. it's just because we havent started producing our own truck/van/suv/bike bodies yet, so the market is full of imports
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:21:51 pm by LoSboccacc »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »

Frankly, we need to upsize our well and our power plant. About 50^2 for each would produce at at least somewhat reasonable speeds.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »

we have one million elec, one million water and not bought any of them since the beginning, I won't say they are exactly undersized

but we can always sell them, they make a nice side market  :P

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »

I personally think owning a powerplant is a waste unless you really invest in it.
It is better to just buy electricity and use the plot for an actual factory. Sure, electricity spiked to 12 cents a few days ago, but it generally sits at 8 cents and I have managed to buy a couple million units at 7 cents. To produce it yourself still costs like 5 or 6 cents AND maintenance/upkeep costs, plus the opportunity cost of not having that plot. I'd rather spend the 3+ cents extra on buying it.
In the short term it is fine, but once you want/need the plots you lose out, in my opinion. So I vote NO to expanding it much at all, that money is better used elsewhere... like paying down loan (current interest daily is equivalent to about 2.7million units of electricity at 3c a piece (the savings immediate from generating our own, at the moment, not considering the upkeep costs and opportunity cost of wasting coal)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:14 pm »

I personally think owning a powerplant is a waste unless you really invest in it.
It is better to just buy electricity and use the plot for an actual factory. Sure, electricity spiked to 12 cents a few days ago, but it generally sits at 8 cents and I have managed to buy a couple million units at 7 cents. To produce it yourself still costs like 5 or 6 cents AND maintenance/upkeep costs, plus the opportunity cost of not having that plot. I'd rather spend the 3+ cents extra on buying it.
In the short term it is fine, but once you want/need the plots you lose out, in my opinion. So I vote NO to expanding it much at all, that money is better used elsewhere... like paying down loan (current interest daily is equivalent to about 2.7million units of electricity at 3c a piece (the savings immediate from generating our own, at the moment, not considering the upkeep costs and opportunity cost of wasting coal)

Yeah, agreed on this. Don't need to upsize them. They're as unprofitable as it gets, it's better to try and control the other base resources, since electricity is not going anywhere. The price is only a little high due to recent inflation.

the second shop is growing slowly, I'd start expanding the research centers and one car factory.

the smelter is taking turns smelting/expanding ten points, as it's a bit critical

we could start a long term third shop, maybe? expanded to 250 from the start?

we can turn to b2b if we start overstocking the shop, but seems unlikely.. it's just because we havent started producing our own truck/van/suv/bike bodies yet, so the market is full of imports

Sell the electronics R&D, it's not worth it. In fact you'll actually lose money on researching electronics if you don't plan on selling them to B2B.

Fill up on auto R&Ds, maybe try to get research flowing in each car type, and start expanding them once research needs over a day.

I don't think B2B will be buying a lot of vehicles until we can at least overtake imports in quality. So investing in shops is definitely worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24