Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What shoul sell the Auto Union retail division?

Let's focus in cars, trucks, finished stuff only; be a realtailer!
- 3 (21.4%)
Keep the current inventory mix, it has worked fine til now!
- 3 (21.4%)
Become a tuning car shop, add engines and chip to stores
- 2 (14.3%)
Stay hungry, stay gredish: sell everything that we produce in the whole vehicle chain to keep surplus at minimum
- 6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort  (Read 32771 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:15:39 am »

I was thinking about a multiplayer game at economy of scale.

What's economy of scale? it's a free real-time browser-based text-based with graphics MMO business-simulation game with a tick-based store system. Sounds complicated? No, never complicated enough, because this game is inspired by the famous Capitalism Plus, which is among the most complicated and rewarding computer games ever made.

(blatantly stolen from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106919.0)

Now that custom job positions are in it would be interesting to take up an organization with multiple players taking responsabilities for the different sectors of the business.

Having multiple times covering each other needs, we can work on thinner margin than the rest of the world and bring the company to be very competitive, as you can produce and research stuff just in time keeping money flowing instead of immobilizing it in a large warehouse full of hard to sell stuff

in my idea, we should focus on a complex business, like the automotive chain, and work our way from a single factory/reseller up to a large industrail complex, starting from having to import stuff from china just to make some quick buck to managing our own production chain, from coal to steel and from engines to tyres.

those are the positions I'd like to fill up, possibly with forumites:

CEO's, with the ability of doing everything (to cover up temporarly missing roles ad such, mostly for loans, managing cash, giving budgets to areas and such)
position filled up

Store Manager, manages everything store related, writes down sale figures and send requests to the Factory Manager for production and warehouse manager for import (max 3)

Production Manager, manages everything factory related, writes down production stats and send requests to the Warehouse Manager (max 3)

Warehouse Manager, manages the warehouse and stock replenishment, sell leftovers from retail into the b2b and snipe the market for best opportunities for useful goods we can't directly produce

since there seems to be quite a bit of unrest over roles and there are some areas that are badly covered by users, I'm hereby reforming roles to better divide and unite responsibilities.

Notice that you're allowed to only one role: if you wan't to hop on the new ones, I'll just fire you from the previous position

The new positions are as follow:
3x Production Manager - manages factory production and research, can buy from b2b & import
3x Sales Manager - manages retail prices, can put items to sale on b2b and export, can buy from b2b & import
2x Construction Manager - build and expand buildings of all the different area

if you want in, post here and state your preferred role! first come first served.

we will use this thread to plan production and retail, import and b2b sales and such. if multiple roles are available, we'll use this thread also to state directions, so we won't step on each other feets.

our first objective is to make our retail store independent from b2b/import
our second, to grab 1% car market share
from there, there is only world domination!

some house rules: I'll make them up as we go and as we need

if you have another company, please refrain from buying our own product if that doesn't make sense (like, at more than import price, at more than other higher quality products and so on)

no external aids! if you have those millions unused cash, good for you, but it would somewhat spoil the !!fun!! - it's more about a small group effort.

The rolling balance
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Recent activities

day zero

just founded a car company. somehow got five milllions from a nigerian guy, and aliens tuned blueprints.

Urist Rockethammer proposed as a C.E.O. seems an OK guy. we have both a lot in common, not having ever run a car business.

George Melons proposed as a stock manager. I've no idea why such a successful guy would get there and help planning purchases and sales

Berry Punch came along to manage the car dealership. We did a mess up till now, but we did have some cash coming in from wheels; it's nice to finally have someone with some business sense

Balon Swann contacted me to start working at the factory. I had a couple of mechanics on vacation so I said myself, why not? imagine my face when he started giving orders left and right. he seems to know what is doing, so I'll better leave him alone

Rorul Kunullung was more than happy to hop along the trip from zero to billionaire

After half day of hard work, I noticed this promising manager casually looking for a underpaid, underqualified job, and thus Dante Medina was mandated as our CEO

I turned my back to factories for a while and when I returned I found yet another manager, Lady Gaga.

We really need another factory at this point. The current situation of having the left hand of each workers for one manager and the right hands following the other manager isn't that optimal.

Later this day, we finally built another factory out of prefab blocks. The control room came with a prefab factory manager, which hopped along in our management team management, Dariush

I've noticed that we started building stuff all around without any real coordination, so when I met the exceptionally experienced BallC I coerced him to work as a store manager - he will also help with guiding research and setting long term factory goals.

Random building stuff can't be that bad, at any rate: we jumped, in one single day, to $143 M networth (probably helped by the alien research)

day one

After knowing the first day result, I went on a spending spree and started the 'car body' research, also expanding our store which is our main source of income.

While focusing on the shop, I found all the factory chain mostly set up to build everything. We're still limited in capacity and can't really produce a car from end to end, but getting quality raws from the market we can build Q33 Steel far cheaper than anything currently on sale and the same goes for integrated circuits.

Having those electronic factory, we found ourselves with a oversupply of low quality circuits - they're on sale as printer right now.

With the store back online we started to reap huge profit over imports. Meanwhile, with the new found research powress, we reached the status of 'average' in about every area. With those components and some help from great raw parts. we made our first almost from scratch chassis!

Quality 19, not bad, and cheap as hell: less than 8k a piece. We really need to build up that second store and our steel production, so that the 'of scale' part of the plan can start kicking in.

Things are shaping up, so we've unloked three more millions in loans for business operativity. We are making about a million/hour right now so it's not like I'm worried... but there is still a lot of work to do! The new management system should help overcome some recent deficiencies in intra team communications, so all is well!

we're slowly organizing things to make the whole production/sale process more streamlined..
the stock manager started to maintain a list of our requests to gauge the stock levels required for continuous operations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15T7OBoVhlcjVauEMX5VuNZe5dg4vy08Kbsn2ZHRJnvA/edit

It's the steel production that's lagging behind.

day two

it's nice to wake up and see a global shortage of artificial leather.
we'll have to import a ton of seats for the time being. but it's also a good chance to enlarge the smallest factory

we should really do something to complete the production chain
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:13:59 am by LoSboccacc »

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Union: Economy of Scale Community Effort
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:50 am »

CEO, please.
Money management seems fun.

EDIT: My IGN is Urist Rockethammer, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:28:54 am by Supercharazad »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:58:04 am »

restarted my profile, still no quick building. will be.. challenging  :o

seek Auto Union Inc. opnenings

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:59:13 am »

restarted my profile, still no quick building. will be.. challenging  :o

seek Auto Union Inc. opnenings

I've got quickbuilding still.
EDIT: Yup, I've finished the construction on all the buildings for you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:02:20 am by Supercharazad »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:03:51 am »

so, you can use your skill on other company factories? weird.

so, if that worked, we should expand the reseller as much as possible. while keeping a million or two for running costs

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:04:52 am »

so, you can use your skill on other company factories? weird.

so, if that worked, we should expand the reseller as much as possible. while keeping a million or two for running costs

Right, I'll leave 2 million in our account and spend the rest on improving the shop then?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:52 am »

yop. I'll get one of each from import to start off sales

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:08:30 am »

yop. I'll get one of each from import to start off sales

It's now 125 sqm

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:13 am »

ok, let's see the next tick what sale we can expect out of this

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:48 am »

ok, let's see the next tick what sale we can expect out of this
We sold three tyres and a car seat.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:18:43 am by Supercharazad »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:35 am »

and a seat  :o

all considered it's about 200k/day, not bad at start.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:22:50 am by LoSboccacc »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 04:20:45 am »

that's the problem with import, they costs quite a lot, but it's nice to have something stuffed (better a late sale than a missed sale)

btw, for no apparent reason, aliens gave us a infusion of highQ tech.

I'll be building a car, then

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:24:30 am »

that's the problem with import, they costs quite a lot, but it's nice to have something stuffed (better a late sale than a missed sale)

btw, for no apparent reason, aliens gave us a infusion of highQ tech.

I'll be building a car, then

How the crap did that happen? Did Mr Joyce decide this was a nice idea?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:14 am »

it seems so  ;D

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:34 am »

Excerpt from our company news:

Friendly aliens visited and gave your company some free technology in the auto industry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24