Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ugly Bridge to road junction  (Read 6676 times)

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ugly Bridge to road junction
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:13:09 pm »

I am having a hell of a time creating 'the look'. I have a 5 wide ramped passage leading to a smoothed marble hall with a gold block trade depot at the other end. Im attempting to use a 5X5 bridge to seal the end of the ramp surface hallway, but its not letting me butt my road up to the entrance, so, i remove said bridge, build road to end of hallway, and now it will not allow me to build the bridge because of the road. Could a kind soul take pity and explain what im screwing up here please? Thanks
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ugly Bridge to road junction
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:37:41 pm »

If I'm remembering a similar problem, you basically need to build a floor rather than a road in the region where the bridge is going to overlap.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:33:58 pm »

Roads don't even work.. I have a road going straight across from the edge of the map to my depot, and all the caravans decide that the complete opposite of the map is a better way to come.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:27 pm »

Roads work when they need to work.  When the map is heavily forested, the road may be the only route.  If trees are sparse, then they'll come from wherever they want to, really, because nothing is stopping them.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:41:55 pm »

thats bs.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:00:11 am »

thats bs.
What is? That caravans will come from the direction they're coming from instead of circling around your whole map to come from the side that has a paved section? You expect them to travel an extra ~200 tiles through rough terrain off-screen so they can travel the last ~50 on paved road instead of simply traveling ~50 tiles on rough terrain on-screen?

You can limit the places where the caravan spawns, reasonably easily, but simply paving a road to the map edge isn't sufficient. You have to make it so that there isn't any other wagon-accessible path to the map edge aside from the one you want them to take; I like to make pillars every 3 tiles along the wagon route so there's lots of 2-wide holes in its walls but not a single 3-wide hole. Keeps accessibility high for diplomats and siege cleanup, but limits caravan spawn points.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:29 am »

Yes. Yes I expect them to travel an extra ~200 tiles, They travel 234902348907 tiles to get to my fort and it took me a hella long time to build all them roads, build the underground tunnel to get under the river, build defences around the road, so YES I EXPECT THEM TO TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR 0.0002 EXTRA TIME IT TAKES TO GET TO MY FORTRESS TO TAKE THE SAFEST WAY TO MY FORT.

YES.
YES I EXPECT IT.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:04:29 am »

YES I EXPECT THEM TO TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR 0.0002 EXTRA TIME

I'm not sure which units of time you are using here. It is always important to use consistent units when giving measurements.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:27 am »

as in 1:0000.2 in ratio of that say they have to travel 1000 km to get to my civ it wouldn't hurt them, infact it would be beneficial for them to take the extra 100 meters out of their time to take the safe route instead of going through the wild, which is full of ambushing elves and pet dragons which spray fire at the ambushing elves which kills the caravans.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08:09 am »

I was just messing with you.

Anyway: It would be preferable to have some way to encourage traders to take a specific route, for that stated reason. Sometimes you can really only secure a certain portion of your map, and it makes sense for traders to take that route to the fortress instead of some other, less-secure route.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:10:18 am »

It's fucken bullshit. Because if I wall off the rest of the world, the sieges will come into the safe caravan route, therefore making the rest of the embark safer than the safe route.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:26 am »

It's fucken bullshit. Because if I wall off the rest of the world, the sieges will come into the safe caravan route, therefore making the rest of the embark safer than the safe route.
...So don't wall off the rest of the world. Just wall off the caravan route and only the caravan route, so sieges can spawn anywhere and caravans can spawn in exactly one place. I do it all the time in undead regions; lets you actually get caravans in occasionally. It isn't rocket science.

Besides, as part of my previous objection to your claim that it's bs, why would the caravans have any reason at all to believe that traveling off the map is any safer than traveling on the map? They don't know that they're somehow inexplicably impossible to attack if they just take a path slightly further out. Really, you're saying "travel an extra 100 meters through these (for all they know) dangerous regions so they can avoid traveling 25 meters through these (for all they know) equally dangerous regions!" It doesn't make sense unless the caravans know they're characters in a game.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 12:48:42 am »

SRD, just to spite him, you should abandon your fort, start 4 additional forts surrounding it on all sides, dig deep pits full of spikes everywhere except leading to that one entrance point, then reclaim your original fort, and if/when it happens again that they come from the wrong location, come back here and complain again, with impunity.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:31:17 am »

I HAVE walled off the caravan route but they still LOVE to come in through the siege route.. The only place with roads in it is the caravan route so its bs.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:41 am »

its not really all that reasonable to expect caravans to magically show up in location A but invaders to politely show up anywhere but A.  What youre asking for wouldn't make any more sense in real life than it does in DF.

If you want to protect the caravan, then make one point of entry, and fill it with weapon traps.  And/or use the method described earlier of building walls every 3rd block all aorund the map, to let invaders in everywhere but the caravan in only one place (feels awfully lame and unrealistic and cheaty, though)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: [1] 2