Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Talk "Talk"  (Read 5248 times)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk "Talk"
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »

• ...apparently, adding minecarts and the big changes to hauling, is "bugfixing."  He's not currently adding features, he's just fixing bugs!

Fixed the bug where big blocks of code hadn't been written yet :D  My favorite kind of bugfix. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 04:38:31 pm »

"Manual hauling labor is a temporary patch around intended functionality. Fixing the bugs that require this patch for a proper bugfix."

That's how I interpreted that anyway...

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 04:42:42 pm »

Where can I find more information on hill dwarves? What are they, hobbits?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »

Dwarves that settle in a mostly "deep soil" hill, and build a constructed fortress inside, as opposed to "mountain home" dwarves, who dig out a genuine mountain.

Hill dwarf settlements usually emerge as suburbs to the "metropolitan" mountain home, as the mountain home becomes successful, and the population grows.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

"Hill Dwarf" is a rough name.  It literally means "the camp outside of your embark where migrants loiter."  Your fort is the proper settlement, they've just set up a camp a few miles away, waiting to make the final little trip to reach your fort.  They're still proper dwarves, not hobbits.

Also, it sounds like your hill dwarves may become your link to the outside world.  Send caravans and goods to the camp, and from there they move to the world, and similarly armies are readied in the camp while defensive militia stays at home.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »

I just hope he fixes sober vampires with the patch.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »

"Hill Dwarf" is a rough name.  It literally means "the camp outside of your embark where migrants loiter."  Your fort is the proper settlement, they've just set up a camp a few miles away, waiting to make the final little trip to reach your fort.  They're still proper dwarves, not hobbits.

Also, it sounds like your hill dwarves may become your link to the outside world.  Send caravans and goods to the camp, and from there they move to the world, and similarly armies are readied in the camp while defensive militia stays at home.

IIRC the idea was more like the human towns, where they have many hamlets within a day's travel. You'd end up with all these off-screen dwarves that live in hobbit-homes and leech off interact with your fort.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 06:43:21 pm »

Like I said, suburbs. Residential areas dependent upon the heavy industry of the major settlement.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »

IIRC the idea was more like the human towns, where they have many hamlets within a day's travel. You'd end up with all these off-screen dwarves that live in hobbit-homes and leech off interact with your fort.

Think that when they are implemented your fortress' relationship with them will be you give them finished goods and military equipment then they give you food, raw materials, and soldiers.  Not them leeching off your fortress.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:17 pm »

I just hope he fixes sober vampires with the patch.

In a thread on this I wrote, he mentioned lack of blood causes that, but lack of alcohol might as well.

Has anyone checked if we'll fed vamps still slow from sobriety?

Not seen my thread since yesterday, just adding its content to this one.

I especially liked the part about sending out 10-40 military dwarves, to raise an army of FOUR HUNDRED hill dwarves to assault... Something.
Dwarven seiges against elves/goblins/humans/necromancer? Oh, yeah.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:13 pm »

We've confirmed that sobriety causes slow vampires, because [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] isn't removed when becoming a vampire.  There's a mod floating around that causes dwarven blood to cause thirst when consumed.  Vampire drinks blood, syndrome causes them to become thirsty, they go drink booze.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 11:33:56 pm »

There's a mod floating around that causes dwarven blood to cause thirst when consumed.  Vampire drinks blood, syndrome causes them to become thirsty, they go drink booze.

Can you provide a link? My search-fu is weak.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 11:37:58 pm »

I cannot, though I'll do some trawling tomorrow and see if I can.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:44 am »

Drinking dwarven blood should provide at least some of the dwarven vampire's required alcohol intake.  Couldn't we just mark up dwarf blood as alcoholic in the raws and save the time/trouble of having the vamp seek out a booze stockpile?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 12:47:22 am »

^that was tested in the same thread girlinhat mentioned. It didn't work, as they don't seem to actually "drink" the blood, they just kill the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3