Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's Talk "Talk"  (Read 5251 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Let's Talk "Talk"
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:10:42 am »

So I'm listening to the newest DFTalk #18 as I write this.  I'll take a few notes as I listen...

• Toady saves DF to CD as a backup, it seems, which appears to have paid off as his HDD failed.
  • "Let's talk about vampires, because that's what everyone is talking about."
  • "Someone on the forum had set up a well of darkness or something where they had vampire blood in the well or something."
  • Toady thinks a vampire at maximum slowness would be better than a regular dwarf in combat - I don't think he factored in that vampires are sober.
  • When inns are installed, vampires may stop by as a traveler and feast and (not) sleep and leave?
  • "Just a barrel of rats."
  • "What can mists do?" - "They ruin your day with unkillable monsters"
  • "What happens to your dwarves if they have no eyesight?" - "They get lower rolls, on their skillrolls, and I hope that their targeting at distance would be reduced."
  • Apparently in the first versions, blind crossbowdwarves would shoot in completely random directions, resulting in a "death blossom".  Combined, at the time I believe that crossbow dwarves would unload their entire quiver in a half a second, and would probably result in a hilarious boltsplosion.
  • "Caring means sharing" - apparently adventurers can steal things freely?
  • Killing a pig will still make people care.  Include nearby farm animals, which will mob your adventurer.
  • "You'd have to have some proof of authenticity if you claim to have a barrel of dragonfly brains.  It'd just look like, sand or something."
  • If an animal trainer has become "bonded" to an animal, it increases their training rates.
  • "The animals... are not capable of, feeling happiness."
  • "If you don't have a zombie army you don't build a tower." - apparently 50 are needed.
  • "I think someone modded it, that when the kitty headbumps you, it turns you into a kitty." - Toady was rather amused by this.
  • Toady pays attention to the "Eternal Suggestion Board"!
  • ...apparently, adding minecarts and the big changes to hauling, is "bugfixing."  He's not currently adding features, he's just fixing bugs!
  • Toady may be adding goblin/elf/dwarf cites for adventure mod sooner rather than later
  • Trees may become massive multi-tile monsters that are big enough to live in - dwarves may end up "mining" into part of the tree as they take out one tile at a time?
  • Gods may take on a more real manifestation.
  • Making friendly relations with intelligent creatures who can live on your site - ie. give livestock to the hill giants and let them inhabit part of the map, and attack goblins that come knocking.  Not yet, but it's been discussed.
  • Goblin Dark Towers should provide a fun place to adventure into and eventually send armies against.
  • Migrants will experience a huge change at some point, namely when "hill dwarves" become a part of the game.

And that's all I've got, except more mandolin music.

Discuss.[/list]

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk "Talk"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:35:18 am »

•"If you don't have a zombie army you don't build a tower." - apparently 50 are needed.

Fairly sure this was already known.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:05 am »

I didn't know it :P  Or the specific number.  I haven't been modding necromancers at all, sadly.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:41:36 am »

• Trees may become massive multi-tile monsters that are big enough to live in - dwarves may end up "mining" into part of the tree as they take out one tile at a time?

Dwarves living in trees ? What is this blasphemy ?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
    • Inadequate Comedian
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:45:01 am »

Trees may become massive multi-tile monsters that are big enough to live in - dwarves may end up "mining" into part of the tree as they take out one tile at a time?

I think he suggested that sort of sarcastically. I don't think Toady yet knows what to do with multi-tile trees. I haven't a clue either. I'll be very interested to see what he comes up with.

The most significant effect of not implementing multi-tile trees is that elven forest retreats probably won't get implemented. And if Toady knows that, he may hold off adding other races' towns until multi-tile trees are added, just to do all the different types of towns at once. That's what I predict, anyway.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:03 am »

Now now. when you hollow out the tree your essencialy killing part of it. What better way to piss off the elves than making their woody freinds live in eternal torment?[/list]
      I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
      Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
      • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
        • View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:47:07 am »

Good summary! Some more stuff that got stuck in my memory:
      • Animal people will be fixed soon-ish
      • Toady wants to do lots of bug fixing before he starts on the next version.
      • Vampires will be able to spread the curse of vampirism later. They will also be randomized.
      • Don't hold your breath for the higher-priority stuff.
      • The Princess Bride is awesome.

• "Caring means sharing" - apparently adventurers can steal things freely?
      Not all things - the civilization doesn't care about the excess stuff that's stored in warehouses and about the personal belongings in people's houses or in the keeps. If you steal stuff from stores, they get angry. Basically, if it doesn't have the $money$ signs, it's free for grabs.

The trees will be changed for proper visitable elf villages. It should be fun to make them fall over.
      Quote from: Toady One
      I wonder if the game has become odd.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
      • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
        • View Profile
        • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
      « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:40 am »

• "What happens to your dwarves if they have no eyesight?" - "They get lower rolls, on their skillrolls, and I hope that their targeting at distance would be reduced."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
      • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
        • View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:10 am »

•"If you don't have a zombie army you don't build a tower." - apparently 50 are needed.

Fairly sure this was already known.

Hmm.  I need to go count the stored caged creatures and then set the fort masons to start building...

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
        • View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »

I'd do it, just for the amusement of watching the elves cross the wooden bridge to a wooden staircase carved out of the carcass of a tree, before unloading in the wooden trade depot, then storming off in a huff when I try to sell them a single wooden earring.[/list]
        [Signature]

trees

• Bay Watcher
        • [MUNDANE]
          • View Profile
        « Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »

Apparently in the first versions, blind crossbowdwarves would shoot in completely random directions, resulting in a "death blossom".  Combined, at the time I believe that crossbow dwarves would unload their entire quiver in a half a second, and would probably result in a hilarious boltsplosion.

Video footage of that can be found here. I kind of hope that these results can still be duplicated somehow... I want to send a group of blind marksdwarves speeding through a goblin siege on minecarts.
        I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

DS

• Bay Watcher
        • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
          • View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 03:16:04 pm »

Trees may become massive multi-tile monsters that are big enough to live in - dwarves may end up "mining" into part of the tree as they take out one tile at a time?

I think he suggested that sort of sarcastically. I don't think Toady yet knows what to do with multi-tile trees. I haven't a clue either. I'll be very interested to see what he comes up with.

The most significant effect of not implementing multi-tile trees is that elven forest retreats probably won't get implemented. And if Toady knows that, he may hold off adding other races' towns until multi-tile trees are added, just to do all the different types of towns at once. That's what I predict, anyway.

He seemed rather set on taking care of non-human sites relatively soon, though. I'd suspect that multi-tile trees, even if it is a hassle, will be developed as a direct result of adding forest retreats, rather than causing site maps to be delayed. I mean, it'll have to happen sooner or later.
        Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
        Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
        In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
          • View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:33:09 pm »

I'd rather enjoy it myself.  The lumber industry would allow for nurseries, where you set trees to grow to harvest their wood when they mature, and it could allow for some very unique experiences and designs.  What comes to my mind most of all is to take a tree, hollow it, and pump magma through it to erupt.  Or to remove the wood and replace it with stone trunk and metal leaves, for every tree in the forest, and pave the ground with clay bricks.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
        • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
          • View Profile
        « Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

• Making friendly relations with intelligent creatures who can live on your site - ie. give livestock to the hill giants and let them inhabit part of the map, and attack goblins that come knocking.  Not yet, but it's been discussed.
        I've thought for a while that, below the level of outright civilization with cities and all, we ought to see more interesting sentient behavior/interaction surrounding the animal people. Something beyond "well they shoot at us with blowdarts instead of just clawing us, so we won't eat their carcasses" (although that's an interesting place to start even in the future if, say, your dwarves have to develop knowledge of and relationships with various tribes/races out there). On the other end, maybe the most advanced (via random choices of the world generator and whatever system is running to do similar things while you play through years of fort or adventure mode) would actually develop proto/mini-civilizations, but without this being consistent (maybe it'd get up to the level of hamlets filled with skunkmen who otherwise behave little different from stinky kobolds, but no further, and even then only if skunkmen happen to wind up advancing a fair bit beyond the running-around-in-the-caverns/woods-in-bands stage that they'd still typically occupy -- or would it be the other way around, that many animal tribes start as almost proto-civilizations but usually degenerate over time to the state we currently see them in?... you know, a sort of "earlier, older races that have all but disappeared" theme even within this game about legendary/mythic creatures).

Anyway... point of all that ramble, I'd like to see more character in the animal-people -- and for that matter semi-intelligent beasts such as hill giants.

Which, I guess, means that it's not so much civilization I'm wanting from animalmen as it is culture. This merits further discussion.
        Quote from: Mr S
        You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
        Quote from: Strong Bad
        The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
        Quote from: Cobbler89
        I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
        I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
        I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
        • Dwarven Railgunner
          • View Profile
          • DF Wiki User Page
        « Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 04:22:56 pm »

No, we're just planning to destroy really huge trees and really, really piss off the elves.[/list]
          You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
          You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
          Pages: [1] 2 3