Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Their Coming Is At Hand - an Eldritch Horror RTD (Turn 10! Spots open!)  (Read 33669 times)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

Alex let at a primal scream and lept at the cultist. As he neared he pulled back his hand into a punch and sent it at the cultist's face. The other hand went for the gun.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

"They were trained pilots..."

Turiel grasped the throttle and scanned the area for a good spot to stay hidden while observing this 'Titan' better.

Fly to a vantage point that may locate the thing's weakness!

'Not to engage...'

Watchman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Damn it." Erik ignores the cultist and throws himself forward trying to reach their leader and stop him doing whatever he's trying to do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Sorry if this TOTALLY IS NOT a shameless bump, but I just realized that adwarf, with his powers of Combat Dolls, animation and such, could create...Yo Gabba Gabba! Stupid? Yes, but think of those cute characters eviscerating horrors from beyond the human imagination while singing a jolly song!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for double post, but is this dead? It would suck if it was... :'(
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, with me, you've gotta learn that my updating schedules are all over the place. For example, if I say that an update is coming 'soon-ish', it means I have three dozen other games and projects to work on first, and have RL stuff coming on, and most of all, that I'll get around to it when I can.

Fortunately, I haven't said that here, so I'm free to update right away! So you just wait.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok! Just wated to make sure; this thing WAS lingering on the third page. But I understand about the schedule thing. If I GM'd an RTD, it would never get past the 2nd turn.
Sig! Onol

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I sort of ran out of time - got everyone except adwarf, but I have to go now. So, umm, tomorrow. I'll finish this up tomorrow. Many exciting things happen - for example, an incompetent superhuman and a doctor of questionable credentials (They Fight Crime!) avert a very likely worst-case scenario. In fact, you could go as far as to say they do good. So drat, what terrible players.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

for example, an incompetent superhuman and a doctor of questionable credentials (They Fight Crime!) avert a very likely worst-case scenario. In fact, you could go as far as to say they do good. So drat, what terrible players.
So...were we able to prevent an Elder God from appearing?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 5

Calla
"That plan definately did not work, You sacrificed a kind considerate person for nothing!"

Bide my time and recuperate while they travel to a mainland somewhere

The old men seem momentarily puzzled at you speaking, seemingly having forgotten all about your existance. They exchange unreadable glances and one of them, a haggard-voiced bald giant, leans closer to speak.

'Child, do not downplay your sister's brave sacrifice. We cannot know for sure until we receive more information, but I have all confidence that she struck a blow for humanity the depths will never forget,' he says, like talking talking to an actual child. 'Both of you are valued members of the order. We would not have let her perish if we believed it would be in vain.'

Another of the old men cuts in, his gaze boring right through you to Stirling.

'Captain, child - go to Guadapari. Secure the artifact. We have the utmost faith in you.'

On cue, the channel cuts out. Stirling nods more to herself than anything, staring off into the distance still understandably shocked. A few moments later, there's a bright beep as the helicopter computer receives the data, GPS and coordinates locking in. A map pops up in the screen, displaying a medium-sized city hugging the coastline. A red circle envelopes a small building in the hills above the city - a church, you think. In a moment, it's replaced by a short report about local defenses and military and a larger map showing a bright red line from the open sea to the coast, with an estimated time of arrival. Stirling looks them over quickly and sets the helicopter moving again, muttering quiet instructions to you under her breath every now and then.

The next twenty minutes of your journey pass in silence, neither you or Stirling having anything to say to eachother. You try to distract yourself from thinking about Sophie by considering the panicked reports you overheard through the channel - it's a wonder you received so much intel on this Guadapari with everything going on - but then, they probably had several plans on the place already. But in any case, it had sounded like they were making sightings on multiple continents. You ponder on the scale of the Return, feeling a gnawing fear at the thought of mankind battling dozens or even hundreds of these things.

'...come in, Captain. I've got some bad news for you,' a voice abruptly cuts in through the comm, startling you both out of your reverie. Stirling gives a quick reply - you think you hear her say the other one's name - and the voice continues.

'We've been following Brazilian military dispatches. They've spotted the thing as well. Guadapari is going under lockdown - they're practically declared martial law. They'll shoot down any chopper that comes in without authorization,' he says.

'Any ideas?' Stirling asks, her voice bland.

'I suggest you drop the Seco-' he pauses, grunting, 'drop Calla some distance out of town and let her handle getting through them. Frankly, Stirling, you'd just be in the way.'

'She's never been in a combat situation before, Stefan,' Stirling says. Neither of them seems to pay any attention to you. 'She's too valuable to be risked like that.'

'Captain, I'm not sure if you've noticed but we're not exactly overflowing with resources here. If you can think of something better, do it. Otherwise, get her down there and secure the artifact. It's up in the church - she won't have any trouble finding it,' Stefan replies. 'That goes for the big beastie coming after you, too, so hurry up.'

Stirling acknowledges and the comms die again. She checks the GPS and gives the pair of you an ETA of ten minutes. At last, she turns to you. There's no real emotion in her voice, and to your surprise she asks for your opinion for a change.

'How do you want to handle this, Calla? What do you think we should do?'

Spoiler: wolfchild (click to show/hide)

Alex Vondgas
Alex let at a primal scream and lept at the cultist. As he neared he pulled back his hand into a punch and sent it at the cultist's face. The other hand went for the gun.

[5] You decide to go for the cultist this time, and unleash a warcry that [1] prompts only a snarl and rifle-raising from your opponent. You move fast, [Dodge:3] though so does the mortal. Your first blow smashes into the metal instead of his face, the man moving out of harm's way just in the nick of time, but you continue the move and [BP:3][Damage:4+2+3-1=6] cleave his arm cleanly off at the shoulder. You don't have time enjoy the sight and the gushing blood, [3] as the hybrid pushes himself up with his arms and lashes out with his good leg. [Dodge:2][BP:1] He kicks high up and is rewarded with a resounding impact on your jaw. The hybrid's strange energy field focuses and supercharges the energy of the blow.[Damage:6+1-2=5] You're lifted slightly off your feet and brought down with a yelp of pain and a crash against the helicopter's side that sends [1] it into a catasthropic plunge towards the waters. Everyone loses their balance and the co-pilot shouts out a panicked warning. Then the helicopter smashes hard into the shallow beach water.

[3] You don't have time to think. The world seems to slow down, but what penetrate are the heat and nauseating movement and spatial confusion before the floor gives way and sends you flying through the slightly-ajar side door. Both you and the door go flying, fresh coastal air flooding your lungs once more, and then you're hitting the sand, [BP:5][Damage:1] but to your surprise you don't seem to have a scratch. You can't move for a moment, still skidding along the sand. It gets in your mouth and grates against your skin, though you don't actually feel any pain. Finally, you stop moving, spit the sand out and force yourself to stand upright.

[4] Looking back for the helicopter, you find yourself some distance away from a smoking black wreck, wreathed in small fires. You don't doubt that the other chopper won't see the black pillar arising from it, even if they somehow avoided comms with it until now. The humans inside are obviously dead, [2] but as you watch something pushes its way out of the wreckage, taking wavering steps towards you. Even covered in ash and bloodied and torn, you recognize the hybrid. He seems to be [1] completely unharmed aside from his earlier wound.

[4] Glancing left, you see the yacht veer towards the shore in the distance. As a black speck against the horizon, you see the second cultist chopper hovering in place. [6] For one thing you're glad - the Fae is staying surprisingly silent. Perhaps it accepted your offer of working together after all.

Combatants
Spoiler: Hostiles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Friendlies (click to show/hide)
---

Spoiler: mcclay (click to show/hide)

Turiel
"They were trained pilots..."

Turiel grasped the throttle and scanned the area for
 a good spot to stay hidden while observing this 'Titan' better.

Fly to a vantage point that may locate the thing's weakness!

You turn the plane and begin inching closer to the Titan, careful to keep the unaltered fighters unaware of your presence. The Ancient seems to be getting more on the defensive, actively following and acknowledging the aircraft buzzing around it.

[6] You'd suspect the giant fleshy eye as a weak point despite the lack of damage from the hit earlier. It's hard to say, but the rest of the creature's body seems thick and solid. The being's lower chest and back, already damaged and seemingly bleeding molten gold, seem good targets for future attacks as well.

[6+1=6] The two remaining fighters come in for yet another run. They converge on the Titan's [Dodges:3-1-1=1/1-1-1=1][BP:6/3] right leg and stomach, impacting with whip-crack detonations. [Damages:3-2=1/5-2=3] The first doesn't even leave a mark, but the second sinks into an existing crack in the Titan's broken torso, blowing out a veritable fountain of white-hot gold that sweeps down a forest below. The Titan reels visibly, unleashing another howl [3][Dodge:1+1=2][Damage:6+2-1=6] that catches the second plane mid-air directly in front of the Titan's eye. Your superior senses and the KOSCHEI's systems pick up glass shattering and metal visibly bending inwards, after which the plane drops sharply and goes into a plunge. You can only watch as it spirals down before exploding against the steppe.

[2] It looks satisfied, though deciphering any information from the thing's stone-set features is rather difficult. The one remaining fighter pilot, on the other hand, is everything but. [3] He circles around for a minute, but then turns sharply away and heads for where it came from. On cue, the Projekt voice returns to your comms.

'State assets are withdrawing. We appreciate your patience, Operative,' you're told. 'Heavy bombers are on the way, but it will take some time yet. As such, you are free to engage. From your readings, I have personally increased your chances of survival in the official sitrep.'

Great. Now if only he didn't make it sound like a bet the staff were having or something.

The Titan watches the fighter flee for a few moments, then turns back to walking, probably thinking it has scared off its rival. Or something more complex - you have a nagging feeling the monstrosity could be surprisingly intelligent. [6] It takes a few steps before its gaze fixes on a nearby village, stuck in the open steppe without cover. The Titan begins to move ever-so-ponderously towards the settlement, crushing the road as it goes.

Combatants
Spoiler: The Titan (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Alexei Zielkov and 'Doctor' Erik Tourigny
"Damn it." Erik ignores the cultist and throws himself forward trying to reach their leader and stop him doing whatever he's trying to do.
Alexei perks his ears. Screaming and cackling, they are certainly on the right way.

The supersoldier asks him team some meters behind him and moves towards the noise, shooting the cult leader as soon as he sees him.

[2] Erik Tourigny throws himself forward, but so do the six standing fanatics. They crash into the hybrid, forcing him back with their sheer bulks. [4/4/4/1/6/3/3/3] One of them lets out a scream and turns to flee a moment after, and another simply breaks and falls down, all colour draining out of his face. Tears start streaming down his face uncontrollably.

[1] The second team barges in a second later, but in the half-light and chaos Alexei is momentarily stunned and simply stares, taking the situation in. [3/2/4/1] Zelenko and Darkin are not so slow. They rush to the balcony's edge and open fire, [6] both divining the importance of their leader in this case. [Dodges:1/1][BPs:6/3] Their powerful sidearms boom in the enclosed space and heavy-caliber bullets smack into the leader, blood blossoming from his arm and leg. He loses control of his foot and falls to one knee, [2] but doesn't stop the ritual words. [Damages:4-3+3+1=5/5-3+3+1=6] Not that it matters - the gaping hole in his arm gushes out enough blood to drown an army. He finally halts his speech, his gaze going from his wounds to Erik and to the agents on the balcony. Then he collapses, his one good foot giving away, and his body topples down from the altar to the floor.

Silence falls. [2-2=2/1-2=1/1-2=1/4-2=1] Then, one by one, the four remaining cultists begin screaming and collapse, some sobbing, some simply staring blind into nothingness. Erik stands in the middle of twitching madmen and nods his thanks upstairs.

The captive on the slab begins fidgeting even more earnestly, soft sounds carrying through the cloth in his mouth. The agents and Alexei begin moving down the stairs, keeping their guns fixed on the incapacited cultists.

Combatants (The Altar Chamber)

---

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Watchman (click to show/hide)

Alfonz Wulfric
Use more of my lifeforce to boost my speed, and begin to pelt the nearest mutation with all the speed, and strength I can muster. If I score a successful hit absorb the life force of that creature, and turn it into a combat doll.

[6] You draw on the well in the back of your head, filling yourself with the sweet raw energy of life. Your wounds begin to close up fast, your bones knitting back together audibly. The last fragments of your previous boost are ebbing away, so you move fast.

[6] You zip back, a blur and a flash in the mutation form's eyes, making your way down towards the wrecked terminal. Then you turn, slowly - and charge.

[Dodge:2][BP:3] You cross the distance over with a single bound, and throw yourself forward with another - smashing elbow-first directly into the mutation form's arm. [Damage:6+2=6] There's a wet rip of flesh and muscle and the sharp crack of breaking bone and the monster's arm is separated from its body. You roll down with the arm in your grasp, and don't need to look to see the mutation form stumble and collapse, dead.

[2] Another snake-like monstrosity reaches you, hissing. [6] The first one attacks, [Dodge:4] but with your newfound superspeed and innate strenght you flick it aside with ease. The rest of the mutation wave continues to approach.

Your original life force boost dies out, but you still have the benefits from the second.

Combatants
Spoiler: Hostiles (click to show/hide)
---

Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)

---

And thus we follow a pattern of our heroes being thrown out of aircraft moments before their destruction. Go Alex. >_>

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Turiel smiled as he was finally given clearance to engage that giant. A man has died today, in his duty to the state and another needed pickup, he had to end this.

And his field was ready to take it on.

He pulled on the throttle and flicked a few switches, keeping his right hand locked on that red button. He could swear he felt the air around him rush back as the fighter turned to dive at the Titan.

Now, all that waited was a simple push of a button.

Fire the Guided Missiles targeting the Eye and a random broken section, preferably at the legs or supporting structures then, if possible, accompany with a strafing run up close.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:15:36 am by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((@Watchman: Could you turn off that aura?))

Alexei sighs. He knows he should have accepted receiving one of those monsters to be imprisoned within him. His project was nearly nothing when compared to those supernatural men. And to make matters worse, somehow he was hesitating too much in this mission. His superiors would hear from it - from his own lips, nonetheless.

Alexei orders the agents to stay back to avoid Erik's fear aura if he has not turned it off by now; if it is turned off, he orders his men to subdue and tie the cultists.
Alexei himself checks on the captive and the area (if the agents are ok, they should help him) for anything noteworthy, like any risk of the ritual being completed by other means.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

Alex grabs the door and heaves like his uncles did to one of those discs at the Highland Games, intending to cut it in half. As the door was in the air he ran at the hybrid and prepared to being it down on its head if the door did not finish it off.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

Vengance can come later, the rest of the world did not deserve to suffer because of these people "I will do it, drop me down and I will do what I can, what am I looking for?" but calla will remember and come after sirling
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

And thus we follow a pattern of our heroes being thrown out of aircraft moments before their destruction. Go Alex. >_>

So there you go- our heroes just need to not be in aircraft.  Right Tiruin?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16