Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100339 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2015, 06:22:27 pm »

It would actually be amazing if we did that. Just start a "Support campaign" for the republican agenda, but make it as farcical and obviously-evil as possible.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »

I find social media unpalatable because:

Data is mined about people that DID NOT agree to the site's EULA.  Say for instance, people posting pictures of people they know on facebook, giving Facebook legal access to use those images for monetary gain. Further, it has become SOP for HR drones to cyberstalk potential hires. LetNs just say there is a lot of actual dirty laundry on facebook

Yeah, Facebook is toxic shit
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2015, 07:07:37 pm »

It would actually be amazing if we did that. Just start a "Support campaign" for the republican agenda, but make it as farcical and obviously-evil as possible.
Washingtonpost did a design your own hat thing that got hijacked by anons, they came up with stuff like:
BUILD WALL
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
STEEL BEAMS
e.t.c.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2015, 09:02:37 pm »

Social Media being mentioned makes me want to say: Not my thing.

As in Facebook-style SM.  I've been a BBS/Forum-type socialite, in my time.  Some might say that I'm not averse to being so upon Bay12Forums (although that's not my intention).  I've been a top contributor to a University BBS, back in the day (with the added 'benefit'1 of being able to meet up with others on campus bar-crawls), and for a long time I was a regular on a Usenet group (one of the better groups for signal:noise ratio, even after Eternal September started).

Currently, I'm a bit cut back.  Two quite-active forums (Bay12 and another), a handful of irregular ones that I'll occasionally dip into.  None of them with the same username or (knowingly) significant union of populations.  I don't tend to geolocate myself (knowingly!  ...I know there's a post here on Bay12 that could probably narrow my locale down to within 50 miles, but that's Ok, given the huge population in that area).  I don't post selfies (there are some, technically, but that's elsewhere.  Not linkable to anywhere else, and not gratuitous selfies, just a necessary record within the context of the Wiki concerned).  I have considered Twittering (but not until I've worked out why I want to), I've never considered Facebooking, nor Flickr, Tindr, Grindr or anything gratuitously ending in a non-'er'ed 'r'.  (Although Flickr does look most like the spiritual successor to the still-not-dead Usenet.  In Web2.0 rather than NNTP/plaintext format.)

I also don't keep my mobile devices (those that are more than the DumbPhone I still habitually carry) permanently net-connected.  Nor keep the GPS on.  And not just because of the battery drain (although that's certainly something to do with it).  My camera is a camera, not a phone/tablet-with-a-camera.  (My phone, remembering that it's a DumbPhone, doesn't even have a camera.  My tablet does, both front- and back-facing, but is rarely used.)  My camera doesn't have GPS capabilities.  I will use the GPS on my tablet, but only when suitable, and only rarely in conjunction with the camera, and even rarer with the camera recording the geolocation information.

But all that just goes to show that I'm probably the worst mix between oldschool-hipster and technoluddite.  Perhaps it's because I've never been on any particular rollercoaster when the ride first started, that I feel so entitled to consider the new-fangled stuff to be too 'faddish'.  Perhaps if I had discovered Twitter in the very early days (like I did the Web, before it and the Internet in general even became 'a thing' to the general public) I'd be differently-thinking.

I definitely consider myself an Asocial Mediator.  Not antisocial (I hate trolls/trollz/etc as much as the next person - assuming the next person isn't a troll), at least not intentionally.  And, please, feel free to update your FaceSpace Wall with your Twits, Blog your Blags, Selfie yourself in front of your town's Webosphere Access Point, and add your Anonposts to whatever WikiWikiWildWildWest talk page that you want.  (I'll admit, I've contributed to Wikipedia, but only as an AnonIP... which isn't my current IP, so making it more anon that an AnonIP could actually ends up being on a fixed-line.)

But don't ask me to join your Facebook group. Too much trouble for me. I'll just wibble away on places like Bay12, if you please.  And I'm not sure that's because I like the (ultimate arbiter that is the) active moderation behind it... because Usenet never had that... but I think it helps that the scale is such that a friendly atmosphere is retained without a faceless organisation (that is far, far removed from being 'one of us') having to sort out conflicts.

Obviously my mind just isn't attuned to Web3.0.  Or whatever level we've reached by now. ;)

1 Actually, it was a benefit.  And that we mostly knew each other by our usernames, rather than real names, just led me onto all my future forms of online interactions, whether or not physical meet-ups happened.  I already have a physical meet-up scheduled, for next year, with online acquaintances that I've (on the whole) been in contact with for up to a couple of decades...  I'm a bit of a stick-in-the-mud...

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 27, 2015, 10:34:49 am »

Facebook being used as a soapbox for particular bullshit quotes that don't even make much sense.

Most of them are dumb; some have a grain of truth; and some are inspirational.

But one particular quote just riled me up. “Do not educate your child to be rich. Educate him to be happy. So when he grows up, he’ll know the value of things, not the price.”

Are you fucking kidding me out of my ass on this one? So, avoid teaching your children to be frugal about things because they won't be happy if they save for stuff that matter? What's this; teaching people to be Short-Term Normative Oriented? So poverty strikes and eventually these particular educators of people curse their own children for being poor and stressed and unable to achieve their own happiness goals? Who writes this shit?

I don't really care what you do with your money, but if you ask me, teaching a particular person about the value of their finances is very important so they won't screw themselves over with ill-planned purchases. There's such a thing called moderation."

E: The problem primarily is that I often have to touch Facebook because everyone thinks it's a convenient way to connect, and therefore some college-related assignments get posted online via that. I get to see this crap often due to that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:56:43 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 27, 2015, 11:26:27 am »

It's great, though. You can dig up obscure quotes from genocidal dictators, serial killers, &c., slap them onto images of MLK/Ghandi/whoever, and get to giggle at all the idiots liking it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2015, 11:42:33 am »

when people cant find the shift key or use punctuation or apostrophes

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 27, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »

my favorite is how you have to more than double the length of your dumb post

need to add that extra newline, otherwise it looks stupid
see? and god forbid you need to have more than one sentence strung together, then what do you do

its a contributing factor to me disabling signatures, so waste-of-space posts take up less real estate

i guess theres the ignore function, which i also use, but i lack discipline and just open the posts anyway

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #443 on: December 27, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »

yeah
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #444 on: December 27, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »

yeah

also people quoting themselves, double-posting instead of editing, and self-referential complaining
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 27, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »

yeah

also people quoting themselves, double-posting instead of editing, and self-referential complaining

Hey, At Least It's, Better Than Capitalizing, Every Word, And Having An Excess, Of Commas, While Being Very, Self-Referential.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 28, 2015, 01:45:10 am »

yeah

Hey, At Least It's, Better Than Capitalizing, Every Word, And Having An Excess, Of Commas, While Being Very, Self-Referential.

UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT Information is ENCOURAGED, ESPECIALLY to COMPUTER BULLETIN BOARDS.

(Am I showing my age?)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #447 on: December 28, 2015, 02:26:56 am »

hOI! my name is TEMMIE!!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 28, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »

I don't like non-SMF/vBulletin-style forums
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:33 pm »

Ignorance is Strength ought to be a Trump bumper sticker.

OMG, it really should. (or possibly one for the Republican Party in general)
American politics have more than enough ignorance on both sides of the aisle.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35