Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100266 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #345 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:19 am »

Sirus has a point
|
|
V
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:13:52 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:54 pm »

You know what annoys me? Double-posting :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »

People who type all their posts in a special color. If you're so boring to need a special color in your posts to distinguish yourself, don't bother posting.
(._. )
( ._.)
(._.)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Internet Habits Which Annoy You.
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2014, 01:26:59 pm »

Posting to watch and wait for the inevitable necro-post.

Oh, shit. People were complaining about people PTWing without actually contributing earlier in the thread, weren't they? Uh... I hate people on the internet who post links to websites without at least quickly summarizing what is in those links. Not all of us have the time, effort and access to read those links entirely after all. A small description for those who want to skip but keep up with the flow of the conversation would be nice. Does that work?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:51 pm »

Tumblr in general, and SJWs in particular, are a gold mine for annoying internet crap.
Pedant time!

Saying that Tumblr in general is a gold mine of SJWs is kind of like saying that TV in general is nothing but mindless action shows. While there's some truth to the statement, it's a wild generalization about a massive thing that can't really be generalized. Yes, there's a LOT of SJWs. Yes, there's a lot of insane bullshit. Yes, there's a lot of "special snowflakes". But ultimately, it's a website, not a community. A lot of people there are just there for simple blogs, or art portfolios, or something else, rather than just being a special snowflake SJW.

It's kind of like 4Chan and /b/, on a much less massive scale. It has a part that's really bad, and a part that, while still kind of bad, is less "overwhelmingly horrible" than it is "occasionally unpleasant". The SJWs do exist, and in embarrasingly large numbers, but they're far from the entire population. [/rant]
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »

People who type all their posts in a special color. If you're so boring to need a special color in your posts to distinguish yourself, don't bother posting.
How often does that happen? I've only ever seen it maybe twice. And both times on the MSPA forums which draws a surprising number of people who think it's an exclusively RP forum.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2014, 02:09:58 pm »

It's annyoing when people complain about other people writing about themselves. What else can one write about competently?

Arguments made entirely, or almost entirely from logical fallacies and derailing tactics.   In fact, it's so rare that I see an argument where one or both sides aren't doing this, that you could say arguments annoy me.  Sometimes they're downright scary.

Here's a guide that will help people recognize derailing tactics, and control if and when they use them.  I'm finding it best not to participate in conversations where these are present.

Logical fallacies are a little different because there are so many, it's hard to keep track of them.  Some of them are more forgivable than others, too.  "False Premise, True Conclusion" is occasionally going to happen to even the most informed and intelligent people, because technology tends to improve the capability of science to find "facts", thus correcting the "old facts".

...also, unrelated:  I take too long to post, and get ninja'ed a lot, because of it.

Edit: forgot the link
The text behind that link makes me extremely uncomfortable. Reading that already feels like arguing over the Internet.
I might have a problem there.
Turned off by the virulently sarcastic ranting of a SJW? Nope, perfectly normal. You certainly do, you privileged person! After all, anecdotal evidence and righteous anger form a much better basis for one's opinions than anecdotal evidence and ignorance (or even, gasp, in some rare cases, scientific research), and the appropriate way to deal with people you don't agree with is to browbeat them until they throw their hands in the air, which is your signal to celebrate victory. But you probably won't have much luck getting arguments with people who have an irrational expectation of the conversation being a mutual exchange, so you should probably limit yourself to blog ranting about generalized stereotypes who make judgements based on generalized stereotypes. ::)

That's not to say that what the author of that was trying to say in a roundabout way isn't an issue, but spirits, that sort of unwittingly ironic self-righteousness makes me gag.
I have no idea what "SJW" stands for. Okay, I looked it up - why is that a SJW?
I agree with their point. In fact I agree so much that reading it makes me angry despite knowing it's satirical. That is what I call "a problem".
It's not like this is part of an actual discussion, it's just a satire of trollish behavior. Why is that wrong?

@tahujdt:
"Dear cis people: just because I'm gay without a penis doesn't mean I like c*** up my a**. I'm a dominant top."

WITH WHAT?
Uhm... Do you actually want to speculate about that? If not, why are you asking? The possibilities are endless! It's not like you can only have sex with your genitals.
I mean, this kind of assumption is probably what they were complaining about in the first place.
I'd advice to use your fantasy a bit and if you are then grossed out enough you might want to just assume that you don't know anything about other peoples sexuality at all. Actually, you can skip that first step.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 30, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »

One particular hatred of mine on the Internet: the excessive use of unnecessary characters in a username, like pre/post-ceding it with x's or 0's or some other symbol.

Yes, that includes my username. Which I made... 6 years ago? Just PMed Toady anyway to change to what I actually use nowadays anyway, because I can't stand this crappy username.

Another hatred- images not in a spoiler, and not in a thread for images.

xXxn05c0p3m3817ch420w33d_81az31txXx

On another note that I forgot to mention earlier, people who badly format their posts. It makes quoting them a hassle. Mostly when they leave a blank line below spoilers or don't start a new line for the writing after the tag closes. The same goes for big spoilers too.
Be considerate, people. Format your posts well.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »

I have no idea what "SJW" stands for. Okay, I looked it up - why is that a SJW?
I agree with their point. In fact I agree so much that reading it makes me angry despite knowing it's satirical. That is what I call "a problem".
It's not like this is part of an actual discussion, it's just a satire of trollish behavior. Why is that wrong?
Poe's Law in full effect here, but I'm taking it as being a SJW trying to make a point via satire about people who are dismissive and condescending to others.

So what we have is:

1. A real problem: People who trivialize and generalize the opinions and experiences of others.

2. Being addressed by someone who is immersed in the SJW mindset.

3. In a sarcastic manner.

All good there. SJWs who get noticed do tend toward extremism (though of course that's natural across all fields; the more obnoxiously vocal you are, the more attention you get), but whatever, the internet is practically made of soapboxes.

4. In which they also manage to trivialize and generalize the opinions and experiences of others.

Having valid complaints or presenting them in a "clever" manner doesn't prevent you from being a hypocritical asshat. It's the central problem I have with a great many SJWs; they start with the argument "Society is fundamentally inequal in many respects," but then instead of concluding "Let's work to fix it," they default to "Fucking privileged cishet white male scum need to shut up, they don't have anything to contribute,". Not all, of course, but too many. Though again, Poe's Law at work, and it can be hard to differentiate between trolls, vocal extremists, and everyone else who gets lumped in with one or both of the above because generalization is easy.

Put simply, I try my best to be an even-minded egalitarian as far as social issues go. People are people, and everything else is trivial in comparison. So it really hurts to see people objecting to hatred default to hatred as their response, especially when it's this sort of impotent and ineffective internet posturing. I expect blind hatred from white supremacists, religious dogmatics, and so forth, which is the main reason why I tend to pay less attention to them than to people who should know better when it comes to debate (though of course it's a higher priority in political action due to the greater effect it has on society.) :|

tl;dr: Could have been an amusing bit of satire. Instead was an annoying bit of satire laden with condescension. /me shrugs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »

I expect blind hatred from white supremacists, religious dogmatics, and so forth
Beg pardon? What makes religious people more likely to spew hatred than SJWs?

And, random question, does anyone know of a racial superiority group that doesn't actually hate other races? It would be an interesting concept. The beliefs of such a group would actually be an interesting read. Like, say, a group that doesn't "hate" blacks, just believes them to be sub-equal, and wants to change society to recognize that belief?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 30, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »

I saw a BBC documentary once on segregationist Boers (south africans of dutch decent) who seemed pretty pleasant all things considered.  It was a pretty small extremist group in like a rural gated community of 30 families (I wouldn't quite call it a compound) that excluded blacks and other whites but they also did charity work in poor black communities.  I guess you could say they were very fearful of other races but without hatred.  The reaction of the blacks seemed to be the Boers were weird but you dont turn down free food when you are very poor.

I think it goes to show that when you are extreme you get weird mixes, especially in a small movement.  But it happens in big movements too, like how Iran is very homophobic but very transfriendly.

I don't get peoples problem with SJW myself.  I consider everyone obnoxious and put myself at the top of the list so it seems silly to single out that group.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2014, 03:43:18 am »

Having valid complaints or presenting them in a "clever" manner doesn't prevent you from being a hypocritical asshat. It's the central problem I have with a great many SJWs; they start with the argument "Society is fundamentally inequal in many respects," but then instead of concluding "Let's work to fix it," they default to "Fucking privileged cishet white male scum need to shut up, they don't have anything to contribute,". Not all, of course, but too many. Though again, Poe's Law at work, and it can be hard to differentiate between trolls, vocal extremists, and everyone else who gets lumped in with one or both of the above because generalization is easy.
Oh. It's not what I got out of that text, just general annoyace at people shutting down criticism.
It's not like he attacked opinions, just the way in which they are presented.

Put simply, I try my best to be an even-minded egalitarian as far as social issues go. People are people, and everything else is trivial in comparison. So it really hurts to see people objecting to hatred default to hatred as their response, especially when it's this sort of impotent and ineffective internet posturing. I expect blind hatred from white supremacists, religious dogmatics, and so forth, which is the main reason why I tend to pay less attention to them than to people who should know better when it comes to debate (though of course it's a higher priority in political action due to the greater effect it has on society.) :|
Wel, see, that's one of the things that's so annoying. You are looked down upon, being treated like shit and then you are expected to be reasonable. "Look, I am staying totally calm while you are getting all angry."
It needs to be pointed out. If you are being beaten it's normal to lash out - it might not be sensible and it might not help, but it's understandable and putting down someone because he is getting angry because he is pushed to that instead of helping them to face the ones who are trying to be offensive and make them angry on purpose will make the problem even worse.
Taste my Paci-Fist

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 01, 2014, 03:53:46 am »

How often does that happen? I've only ever seen it maybe twice. And both times on the MSPA forums which draws a surprising number of people who think it's an exclusively RP forum.
I've only seen it twice or thrice too. Once on these forums, even. That it doesn't happen often doesn't make it less annoying, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 01, 2014, 07:46:29 am »

Over-zealous use of fallacies. For example, Some people seem to forget identifying fallacies are a good way to refute an argument, but by simply refuting an argument you haven't refuted a point.

No use of fullstops. I think I might have mentioned it before, but its worth mentioning again. It can make text quite difficult to read.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:29 am »

Full stops are for scrubs
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35