Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100373 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2012, 04:59:19 pm »

right. I say stuff like 'it was *really* hard to do it' when I'm emphasising how hard it is. People (including one of my friends, annoyingly) who put xX(insertnamehere)Xx because they think it's cool annoy me.
I thought people did that because the username was already taken?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2012, 05:00:32 pm »

People (including one of my friends, annoyingly) who put xX(insertnamehere)Xx because they think it's cool annoy me.
Of course, DF playing makes me read that as XX heavily damaged item XX. Like your classic ‼XX Goblin Corpse XX‼.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »

right. I say stuff like 'it was *really* hard to do it' when I'm emphasising how hard it is. People (including one of my friends, annoyingly) who put xX(insertnamehere)Xx because they think it's cool annoy me.
In the circles I frequented, at least, it was mostly done by the MLG-worshipping crowd.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2012, 05:16:11 pm »

I thought it meant moderately damaged.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

I've added a question mark to my name every time I forgot a password. I should get around to asking toady one to merge my accounts, but I haven't yet.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2012, 05:54:06 pm »

What a surprise,  I'm also guilty of comma overuse. I've taken to reading anything I write out loud before turning it in/posting the link because of that exact problem.
Learn German. My German teacher basically told us to put a comma everywhere you think one might be needed as the Germans love their comma's. Dutch seems to be between German and English in that regard, as I'm quite sure Freeformschooler's first sentence would have needed a comma in Dutch.

With their incredibly long words, they need the commas to get enough oxygen while speaking.

try saying "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz siebentausendzweihundertvierundfünfzig Betäubungsmittelverschreibungsverordnung" without collapsing a lung.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »

I will freely admit, I'm bad about commas. I write sentences like I would say them out loud, and insert commas as natural pauses in speech. This habit lends itself to a grand overabundance of commas. On the other hand, it allows you to read my sentences out loud the way I hear them in my head. I've tried to fix it, but it never seems to stick.
I just tend to overuse them for subclauses and sub-subclauses.  I then realise I have to parenthesise to make it clearer.  Or other punctuated methods of enclosure and 'asiding'.

(Had to split and re-ordering the sentences above to avoid accidental self-reference!  Look, no commas at all!  Oh darn, there's one.  And another.)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »

I believe there was a guy around here who put a line break after every sentence.
Every sentence was structured the same way.
The result was that his posts looked like long grocery lists.
It was pretty annoying to read.
And it drove me crazy.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »

I believe there was a guy around here who put a line break after every sentence.
And it drove me crazy.
I think I know who you mean.
His avatar was Death.
I wish I could recall his name.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2012, 06:24:36 pm »

And it drove me crazy.

My mom writes E-mails that way...

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2012, 06:31:57 pm »

On that sort of note, people who add line breaks
at weird points. Probably because they have a
low resolution and don't comprehend the idea
behind word wrap.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2012, 06:38:13 pm »

People not using correct grammar and spelling. Makes me have a little ragefest inside.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2012, 07:39:28 pm »

You can avoid the use of commas in a way you can't really avoid addition, though.  Heck, my maths teachers do give tips on "easier routes" for questions to save time or reduce the chance of errors.
I suppose I should change it to 'never use division, always use multiplication'.
Both can be done on a calculator with virtually 100% accuracy (at least with no error difference between them).  It's not a valid comparison.  A more valid one is something like "Don't do a complicated differential equation to try and work out Fx when you can just compare the kinetic energies of an object before and after to find the work done" (yes I managed to screw this one up today).  One has more scope for error because it involves more complicated rules.  It's clearly possible to use a comma correctly but I can see why a teacher would tell students not to get embroiled in that mess considering that some exam boards are seriously picky about it.  If you feel confident enough in your mastery of commas then just use them, I guess.

I'm probably being retarded and using the wrong word. Stuff like Sincerly, xxxSpidermanxxx or from your royal higness XxSparklyanimevampirqueen666xX really 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We all know who you're referring to (Deathworks) so you might as well just tell them if it bothers you so much.  Otherwise this seems like going behind someone's back (since Deathworks doesn't usually come to the lower boards).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »

Okay, something better then:

Don't use the Pythagorean equation and a coordinate plane to get the sum of two vectors when you can just add up the coordinates. Because I did that...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:21 pm »

You can avoid the use of commas in a way you can't really avoid addition, though.  Heck, my maths teachers do give tips on "easier routes" for questions to save time or reduce the chance of errors.
I suppose I should change it to 'never use division, always use multiplication'.
Both can be done on a calculator with virtually 100% accuracy (at least with no error difference between them).  It's not a valid comparison.  A more valid one is something like "Don't do a complicated differential equation to try and work out Fx when you can just compare the kinetic energies of an object before and after to find the work done" (yes I managed to screw this one up today).  One has more scope for error because it involves more complicated rules.  It's clearly possible to use a comma correctly but I can see why a teacher would tell students not to get embroiled in that mess considering that some exam boards are seriously picky about it.  If you feel confident enough in your mastery of commas then just use them, I guess.

I'm probably being retarded and using the wrong word. Stuff like Sincerly, xxxSpidermanxxx or from your royal higness XxSparklyanimevampirqueen666xX really 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We all know who you're referring to (Deathworks) so you might as well just tell them if it bothers you so much.  Otherwise this seems like going behind someone's back (since Deathworks doesn't usually come to the lower boards).

knutor does it too, but I don't think knutor comes down here often either
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35