Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 100362 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »

I tend to use the semicolon; it also helps.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:06 pm »

I... used to... use... a lot of... ellipses. But then... I realized... that it... sounded... like I was... Shatner.

The general rule of thumb I follow is that ellipses (in fiction) are usually only good for dialogue in which someone is trailing off in mid-sentence.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »

I tend to use the semicolon; it also helps.

Ah, but take the colon: it is MOAR dramatic than the semicolon; notice the lack of DRAMA in the semicolon.

Ellipses are to be used only when:
  - Trailing off thoughts/speech
  - Omitting words when quoting
  - Probably more situations, but I cannot remember...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:33 pm »

Aha! The double hyphen--

Rather than your train of thought slipping away, the double hyphen implies that you have been cut off--!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »

Ah, okay. I'd rather not: a) read like I'm imitating Shatner or b)read like my thought train has derailed over and over again. I do enjoy the double hyphen when it's appropriate. I think that it can also be used to signify a semi-segue sorta thing or a continuation of a thought that isn't entirely appropriate within the same sentence?  Semicolon truly are more dramatic than regular colon. Colon make me bored as they generally present a list soon thereafter while the semicolon gives a slightly longer pause (in my in-head reading) than a comma and has a surprise of not being obvious about where the trail will lead.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 10:20:36 pm »

Another way to use semicolons: sometimes, apples eat apples; pears dine on pears, but do not on pineapples; pineapples eat everything, even jello; and jello eats humans.

In short, when a regular comma list is confusing because of commas in items in the list, semicolons can be commas.

The double hypen, or rather the em dash—usable instead of parentheses—is quite nice, and should be included on standard keyboards. It also can be used as emphasis—but not all the time.

Actually, I can't remember if – or — was the em dash, and/or if the en dash was used for the above...

Colons are misused D: They can do much more than be a list introducer but have a stereotype as such to GalenEvil and undoubtly others.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »

A humble semicolon by day, at night it becomes Supercomma!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:55 pm »

Or- you could just make up your own punctuation rules☃
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:12 am »

Since this thread is here, I just want to say I hate it when people say they like or love something that they quite obviously hate. It's just so annoyingly passive-aggressive.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:37 am »

Since this thread is here, I just want to say I hate it when people say they like or love something that they quite obviously hate. It's just so annoyingly passive-aggressive.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2012, 03:13:20 am »

Add the word "irregardless" and the like to this. Chances are that people in RL use it too but I don't have to deal with them so the internet is the only place where it can irritate me.

Yes I'm a closet grammar nazi :V

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:46 am »

Actually, I can't remember if – or — was the em dash, and/or if the en dash was used for the above...
The en dash is the length of an N and the em dash the length of an M. Except where they aren't. The ratio should be ~1:2 but depends on the font.

The Chicago Manual of Style uses em dashes in the manner you did, with no spaces. This means it's almost certainly wrong. Outside the US en dashes with spaces before and after are more common and frankly easier on a standard keyboard. And - IMO - easier on the eyes.

And another grammar one that I'm as guilty of as anyone; the, goddamned, Shatner comma. As a general rule I strip 90% of commas out of any text I'm proof reading, forcing myself to justify strongly any kept.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:49 am »

I will freely admit, I'm bad about commas. I write sentences like I would say them out loud, and insert commas as natural pauses in speech. This habit lends itself to a grand overabundance of commas. On the other hand, it allows you to read my sentences out loud the way I hear them in my head. I've tried to fix it, but it never seems to stick.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 09:40:03 am »

Also guilty of needless commas.  I've made attempts as of late to be better about it but I never really seem to get it down.  Supposedly nobody gets it right completely.

I also try to write things out as I say them in my head.  That results in me also putting commas in places where I'd take a pause.  It also results in commas in places they don't rightly belong.

I had to remove several commas from this very post as I was writing it.  I probably removed some I shouldn't have in the process.  :P
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48:21 am »

Also guilty of the above. Really hard for me to minimize the commas, because the gramatically correct way of using it looks unnatural to me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35