Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Creatures  (Read 11371 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:23 am »

I have Creatures 2 Sitting on disc somewhere within my collection of games. Perhaps I should try it again now that I am older and wis....... well older... ^_^
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:47 am »

I searched 'lets play creatures 1' on youtube and the top result was rickroll. Can anybody recommend me any videos that i can watch about this game? sounds pretty intresting, my birthday is soon and it doesnt cost alot so i may want to buy this. (primarly because it sounds alot like dwarf fortress in a way. And injecting things with poison is just outright dwarfy)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

I just rescued my copy of C1 from a vacation house, funny that a thread pops up. I haven't played this since my childhood, so I guess I'll be reinstalling it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 01:26:32 pm »

Cool, I'll go find my copies.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »

Hey, we have the big collection box of that!

Yeah, the games are cool. I wonder why nobody expanded on the C3 wiring system...

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:05 pm »

Creatures 1 was my favourite.  Creatures 2 had those bugs like the international date line just a short distance west of where you started that the norns just couldn't recognize. (wave your hand over there to try to get them to cross it and they'd just set off in the opposite direction) Or the bug that the norns could drop tomatoes in such a way that it the fruit fell through the floor and started to grow subterranean plants that the norns couldn't reach.

But what put me off the series was when I noticed my C2 norns were walking funny and when I investigated I discovered a biochemical pathway that was synthesising pain from food. And I realized that if you left them long enough they'd eventually evolve something that worked in the other direction synthesizing food from nothing. And there was no way the game was set up to evolve truly interesting and novel behavior.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »

hey im looking at buying creatures on GOG which one would be the best to get ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:19 pm »

I was playing Creatures 2, it's pretty solid.  I didn't get 3, but as I understand it, it's not better, or worse.  It's a different game.  "Real" Creatures fans will stick with 2, or 1 depending on how stubborn they are, but 3 gives a different feel of gameplay.  I think 3 is a bit "quicker" with how you can get stuff and navigate and stuff, a little bit more "sandbox" than the first two?

C1 and C2 come in the same pack from GOG, so there's that too.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 01:13:36 pm »

C2 is definitely a fan favourite, but most people play C3 and/or Docking Station these days. The Norns themselves are considered the most 'bug-free' of the lot. Especially the ones with redesigned brains and chemistry. (You have those for every Creatures game)

C3 and DS have the most active modding scene though, with new objects and areas being released regularly.  I still have a few things in the pipeline that I have to finish.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 01:15:03 pm »

hmm well im looking on buying from GOG is C3 Exodus ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »

I believe so.  As I understand the canon, the old race lived on a disk world, where the outer edge of the disk is usable land.  Creatures 1 and 2 occurs after the Old Race has left, as they foresaw some great destruction, and they got on their ship and left, leaving behind a few little fuzzybutts, for lolz I guess.  Creatures 3 occurs on the ship that they left on, I think, their "exodus" vessel.

Don't quote me on this though.  Consult wikipedia for Infinite Free Knowledge.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »

ahh right, so which would be the best in the series to get ? on GOG there is C3 and dockstation and the other is C1 and C2

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:30 pm »

I believe that Dockstation is an online tool, where you can trade and share things with other players.  Understandably, it's likely not very populated anymore, and you might be better surfing the web and manually finding additional content.

I just went for 1+2 and played some of 2.  It's got a nice big world and lets you play with genetics and all that.  I think 3 has basically the same content in a different layout.  But I can certainly tell you that 2 is worth the money.  If no one vouches for 3, then I can assure you that 2 will pretty much do all the things you'd expect it to do.

GOG is also pretty cheap.  If you buy "the wrong one" it's not like you bought $60 Skyrim and didn't like it.  These games are like what, $5?  I've gotten more expensive coffee than that.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 01:53:09 pm »

Docking Station is a standalone game that can be played as is and has online functionality. (Not always active, but there are still players out there, sometimes even live streams of worlds where Creatures are left to their own instincts.
If you have C3 installed, you can basically 'Dock' it with Docking Station which gives you the entire C3 world and it's Norns added to Docking Station, including the online bit.

I vouch for C3 and Docking Station, personally. The entire C1 and C2 worlds have been replicated as a mod for Docking Station, including most of the breeds. Also most of the stuff I made is for C3 and DS, so... :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:25 pm »

Someone stole my Creatures 3 and I am still pissed about it (and it happened YEARS ago).

I'd go back to it but I'd need Gaia and according to everyone I spoken to... they cannot get Gaia to work anymore.

Which is too bad because Gaia is absolutely needed for any station to function properly.

The entire C1 and C2 worlds have been replicated as a mod for Docking Station, including most of the breeds. Also most of the stuff I made is for C3 and DS, so

Indeed. Though the biggest (the absolute biggest) flaw with the game, in my eyes and in terms of modding, is how it handles new creatures. Basically the game has a limited amount of slots. This of course leads to the odd situations where someone's creature will overwrite the other.

Worse yet is you never know when a creature your downloading is new or it overwrites another (Worse was the Set Ettin that overwritten the Etten). So always be diligent.

The biggest flaw in terms of gameplay is how the ship just deteriorates as you keep playing. It is why I considered Gaia to be an absolutely manditory download... if people ever could get it to work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3