Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining and Wood Cutting squads.  (Read 1512 times)

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
Mining and Wood Cutting squads.
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:21:36 pm »

Miners and Wood choppers should be part of squads.
Not the same type of squads as the army's; They should have there own command/equip screen.
         This would solve the problem of the "invisible uniform"
The only options they should have is if you want them to mine/cut wood all the time or part time and what direction you prefer them to mine/cut.
In other words they would not be an easy army, rather they would stick together when working. They would only fight if the fight came to where they are working.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining and Wood Cutting squads.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »

.....Why do we need this? It simply makes it much, much harder for newbies as they are forced to set up squads, which many veterans have trouble doing.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:34:58 am »

Given the discussion on the DF talk about mutli-tile trees, this MIGHT be important later, but for now really doesn't have a lot of use. However, once the larger trees are implemented, they MAY take more than one dwarf to bring down, and thus teams of woodcutters would be needed. I can also sorta see what you're getting at for mining, and maybe for later masonry. Once things get a bit better scale, and stuff like large foundation stones need to be moved or carved, having the masons in teams makes assigning the task easier. I don't think it should work like military squads, but 'work gangs' might be an idea worth exploring a little more. Anyone else have anything to add?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

.....Why do we need this? It simply makes it much, much harder for newbies as they are forced to set up squads, which many veterans have trouble doing.
It would only be harder if dwarfs could not mine/cut unless they were in a squad.
I am a newb, but I did not find making squads particularly hard to do.

Given the discussion on the DF talk about mutli-tile trees, this MIGHT be important later, but for now really doesn't have a lot of use. However, once the larger trees are implemented, they MAY take more than one dwarf to bring down, and thus teams of woodcutters would be needed. I can also sorta see what you're getting at for mining, and maybe for later masonry. Once things get a bit better scale, and stuff like large foundation stones need to be moved or carved, having the masons in teams makes assigning the task easier. I don't think it should work like military squads, but 'work gangs' might be an idea worth exploring a little more. Anyone else have anything to add?
The reason I said mining and wood cutting squads instead of work squads is that unlike most work, mining and wood c. happens in a largely uncontrollable environment.
The "invisible uniform" aspect is made to accommodate non army dwarfs carrying weapons and in turn preventing them from waring armor, leaving them unprotected.
Being able to make them into a squad of a sort would give the player control of what the dwarfs in question ware.

As shown by a search for "civilian squads", this has been suggested a number of times:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102738.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91607.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64155.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50258.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74880.0

Spoiler: tags (click to show/hide)
I looked at all of those and none of them said what I wanted to say.
And did you look at the timestamps?

« on: February 26, 2012, 09:15:06 am »
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:01:44 pm »
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:59 pm »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:47:42 am »

That DOES rather raise the question of thread etiquette and how long before you're allowed to redo a topic. Has toady or one of the mods ever posted rules for that? haven't seen them.

Back to the topic, Uhaul, let me see if i get what you're saying. You want to be able to assign protective gear to non-military dwarves, using the same system as for militia squads. That about right? If so... that's actually a really good idea, especially for the miners. Once cave-ins are Brought back, helmets are going to be pretty much mandatory.

Not to mention...with minecarts on the way.... maybe full suits of armor for the haulers, when the cart inevitably runs out of control with a full load of granite.

Anyway, This would be good for coordinated team orders once stuff like woodcutting and mining gets more complicated. Part of the woodcutter squad cuts the tree, other half ensures it won't fall on the dorfs cutting it. Mining, half the team digs, other half makes sure the tunnel doesn't fall in. Stuff like that. Anyone else want to cut in with ideas on how we'd want to use this for other jobs?

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:50:33 am »

That DOES rather raise the question of thread etiquette and how long before you're allowed to redo a topic. Has toady or one of the mods ever posted rules for that? haven't seen them.
I am not that good with internet etiquette myself, but I would assume that if it would be consider necroposting to post in an older topic then you should start a new topic.
 More so if the topic you have in mind is not quite the same as previously postings.

Back to the topic, Uhaul, let me see if i get what you're saying. You want to be able to assign protective gear to non-military dwarves, using the same system as for militia squads. That about right? If so... that's actually a really good idea, especially for the miners. Once cave-ins are Brought back, helmets are going to be pretty much mandatory.
That's perty much what I had in mind, armor and leaders and relevant commands for miners and wood cutters.

Anyway, This would be good for coordinated team orders once stuff like woodcutting and mining gets more complicated. Part of the woodcutter squad cuts the tree, other half ensures it won't fall on the dorfs cutting it. Mining, half the team digs, other half makes sure the tunnel doesn't fall in. Stuff like that. Anyone else want to cut in with ideas on how we'd want to use this for other jobs?
Outside of haulers, I don't see much use for squads for other skills.
 If you really want to group dwarfs together, you can always use the custom profession option.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:54:23 am by UHaulDwarf »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:03 am »

The rules are written out right at the top of the page, almost impossible to miss tbh :P

"Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old."

So, necroing is pretty much encouraged ^^

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:45:29 am »

It would be much better to just eliminate 'invisible uniforms' entirely, and if you want your miners/woodcutters/hunters to use particular equipment, then allow them to be in normal squads.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:22:09 am »

It would be much better to just eliminate 'invisible uniforms' entirely, and if you want your miners/woodcutters/hunters to use particular equipment, then allow them to be in normal squads.
That would be a good idea, but I think the 'invisible uniforms' is tied to how the skill work, as it needs to tell the dwarf to pick up an axe/pickaxe.

I never think about hunters, but they could benefit from this or similar ideas.

The rules are written out right at the top of the page, almost impossible to miss tbh :P

"Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old."

So, necroing is pretty much encouraged ^^

I dont know about anyone else, but with all the neutral colors and nondescript text my eye just glaze over it and skip to the topics.