Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven ingenuity-What are your expierences?  (Read 3655 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven ingenuity-What are your expierences?
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »

Im curious to see what forumers have made, was it a magma-cannon that accidentally flooded your fort? Was it a contraption to save someone that accidentally let in a army of husks? Or was it something that actually worked? Feed my curiosity. Curiosity killed the kobold, so kill me brutally.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

nekronuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven ingenuity-What are your expierences?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »

it may seem kind of lame, but i built a rampart that protected my fort pretty well, except when i was teasing siegers and they breached the fort.

-|          |-
-|          |-  Level one, dashes being stairs, lines being walls

|=======|
|=======| level two, lines being the top of the wall, with three weapon spike traps, and the = being a large, two tile wide retractable bridge.

I dug out my entrance too shallow, to ease trade caravans, but the sieges being for years at a time, sometimes two of the same civ at the same time, i needed a defense, and had very low tech at the time

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:16:00 pm »

I made a bless utopia, where there is no death, no war. The dwarves live and work without ever seeing the harsh sun, the biting wind. They subsist on plump helmets and cave wheat. They will live and die underground in their small rooms, as did their mothers and fathers. With the picks atom-smashed and the entrance caved-in they are trapped, for all of eternity.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »

I made a bless utopia, where there is no death, no war. The dwarves live and work without ever seeing the harsh sun, the biting wind. They subsist on plump helmets and cave wheat. They will live and die underground in their small rooms, as did their mothers and fathers. With the picks atom-smashed and the entrance caved-in they are trapped, for all of eternity.

That is both wonderful, and scary.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:33 pm »

I made a bless utopia, where there is no death, no war.
Tantrum spiral?

I think my favorites would be... A giant aqueduct for magma (pumped up 60 z-levels from the magma sea) that flooded a huge bowl-shaped courtyard, filling it to the brim. When I opened a set of floodgates, the lava would pour out into a secondary courtyard (wherein lay the enemies I wanted to kill). I also made a bowl-shaped pit lined with bridges, with the bottom being a sort of zig-zag path (also filled with lowered bridges. When I pulled a series of levers, it would toss invaders higher and higher up the sides of the bowl, until they either flipped back onto ground level (splat) or flew out of the bowl (also, splat). And finally, a long, deep valley/trench lined with 1/z unramped pits. Invaders had no trouble getting to the end, but when I released the water from a giant reservoir...

They were fun, but took forever to build. My current fort just has a basic bridgeapult trap so far.

EDIT: Oh, and the magma bowl backfired and flooded the wrong way when a floodgate got destroyed by a tantruming dwarf. That was Fun.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:05:40 am »

Tantrum spiral?
The grand experiment has not gotten that far. In time, I am sure that one of them will break. Without any place for them to go, they shall fight and kill each other, the bodies of the dead shall line the halls. In time the few, if any survive, shall be comforted by the desiccated corpses of their friends glare at them mockingly, finally free from their perfect hell.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 12:14:35 am »

I never build anything imaginative, I just give the dwarves all the material comforts they could need.  The roasts... the roasts.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:23:13 am »

Tantrum spiral?
The grand experiment has not gotten that far. In time, I am sure that one of them will break. Without any place for them to go, they shall fight and kill each other, the bodies of the dead shall line the halls. In time the few, if any survive, shall be comforted by the desiccated corpses of their friends glare at them mockingly, finally free from their perfect hell.

Yet, in time, more will be born, and new traditions where the bones of the dead are used in everyday life will be formed, and every day is one dedicated to mocking those who have gone before them.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:12 am »

I only have about 40 dwarves underground, if and when I get a tantrum spiral, the vast majority will die, and I probably won't have enough to repopulate with. Dwarves for some reason are against incest, and most dwarves are directly related now that they migrate with 15 of their brothers and sisters.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 01:37:42 am »

ok so you've created a sealed hell... what about migrant waves?
you could start a above ground fort on top of your Utopia who exist completely unaware of their "neighbors"

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 01:58:59 am »

I don't do anything about the migrant waves, they sort of just take care of themselves. Normally by playing "Catch the goblin arrow" but with their vital organs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 02:32:52 am »

I had made what I thought was the perfect trapped entrance. Someone could walk in a bit, the bridge would close and they would be forced to walk the hallway filled with traps and under fire from marks dwarfs, Magma would melt the flunkies waiting outside.

One time I had it triggered, expecting all to go well, only to check back a bit later as I was getting masterworks being destroyed messages. The goblin general was standing on the bridge. A demon, ofcourse. The magma was now spilling inside too, giving his underlings enough time to run away from the deathly liquid. Meanwhile, since I hadnt used steel or glass or something, and not all the mechanisms were magma safe, a high number of masterworks was being destroyed, making a weaponsmith to tantrum. I did shut off the magma flow, but the general had decided never to move anymore and was now forever blocking the bridge from being raise.

The principles were good.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 03:06:32 am »

My engineering difficulties are largely centred around drainage. I just can't seem to get the right ratio of inflow to outflow on my drowning chambers. I either end up with a room that drains excruciatingly slowly, or one where everything gets evacuated so quickly that I lose all of the goblinite to the aquifer. I think my next design is going to be a modified form of the "fast" setup, where I breach the aquifer a level lower down and add some bars or a grate or something.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 06:49:51 am »

With the picks atom-smashed and the entrance caved-in they are trapped, for all of eternity.
[/quote

I can't tell if you did this on purpose.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 11:45:51 am »

With the picks atom-smashed and the entrance caved-in they are trapped, for all of eternity.
[/quote

I can't tell if you did this on purpose.
I did, I removed the picks to remove temptation. With stone, fuel, and metal as a limited resource you have to think differently.
Pages: [1] 2