Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dabbling weaponsmith makes exceptional weapons.  (Read 3919 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Dabbling weaponsmith makes exceptional weapons.
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »

Right. I have a millatery dwarf who has high stats in the majority of her abilitys and legendary in three fighting skills. So she was off duty for a short while, and i set her to produce some basic weapons as a prelude to any fay moods.

She is a compitent furnace operator at this point in time i may add.

She then proceeds to produce a good 5 weapons (2 iron axes and 3 iron picks) of exceptional or superb quality -mainly exceptional-

My question is:

How do other residual skills affect item qualitys? because she is dabbling weapon smith yet making anything but basic gear. Not that im complainging, im just wondering if i should put my dwarves through a spell in the millatery at a young age to boost their other skills and make them be more valuble when i assign them their lifes work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:15:47 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dabbling weaponsmith makes exceptional weapons.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

As far as I know, you just got -really- lucky with the craft rolls. However, my knowledge of the skill code is minimal and based mostly on observation.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:34:11 pm »

someone with little or no skill can get lucky and make up to + things, I've seen that much. The relevant atributes help too. After all, strength helps in combat, you don't think atributes would help other skills?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »

someone with little or no skill can get lucky and make up to + things, I've seen that much. The relevant atributes help too. After all, strength helps in combat, you don't think atributes would help other skills?

I am just suprised that sheer power of atrubutes has let this one dwarf create 5 items in a row of pretty good quality items. Sure its not masterwork, but still pritty damn good.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:30:21 pm »

as said before, pure luck

if it's possible, it will happen, period

I never noticed this before, it never happened to me before, hundreds of people havn't had this before. You had. Great, let's kill some goblins

I don't know if you know the game yahtzee. Sometimes called by other names, but it's 5 dices and you're trying for particular combinations or sets of similar dice, like 3 6s, 2 3s and 3 5s etc. You get three throws in which you cn choose any die not to be thrown (2 6 in throw one, another in 2, none in 3 and no extras, 3 6s, 18 points

The chance of throwing a yahtzee, or whatever you'd call it, in the first toss of the dice, is small. 1/(6*5), about one in 7000
Yet I did exactly that 3 times in a single game. Never got that before in my life. It's like having a dabbling throw up a masterwork.

Reality wise, you got lucky but not miracle lucky.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:39:06 pm »

It could possibly be that it's a material she likes.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 06:57:07 pm »

probably has very high stats in the physical, mental, and soul attributes related to smithing
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »

Has anyone done good testing on this?  Should be easy to set up.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »

Has anyone done good testing on this?  Should be easy to set up.

Yes. It's on the wiki. :)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »

Could you provide us with the description of the dwarf in question?

Things like creativity, kinesthetic and spatial senses, and a few others have an impact on this sort of thing; also, I've noticed that dwarves who have skills in related area seem to outperform dwarves who have none. For instance, a Master Mason who is a dabbling Engraver seems to do better than a Dabbling Engraver who used to be Yet Another Grand Master Soaper. Those skills plus the Furnace Operator being a Metalsmith skill might explain it.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

Fondness for the object being made and the material used to make it have a significant influence on results.

For example:  A feather-tree-wood and bed-loving dwarf who has no skill at all in carpentry, but has good stats for it, will make awesome feather tree beds right from the start.

There's also luck.  There's always luck.  Like a scrawny kobold decapitating your armored militia leader with a single swipe of his (large copper dagger)...  Anything can happen.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:13:21 pm »

Fondness for the object being made and the material used to make it have a significant influence on results.

For example:  A feather-tree-wood and bed-loving dwarf who has no skill at all in carpentry, but has good stats for it, will make awesome feather tree beds right from the start.

There's also luck.  There's always luck.  Like a scrawny kobold decapitating your armored militia leader with a single swipe of his (large copper dagger)...  Anything can happen.

Umadbro?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:39 am »

Ill see about getting some screen shots tonight. right now im a touch busy today -got a meeting with freinds to go to, im just derping for a small while till then-.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 09:24:41 am »

Somebody did ‼Science‼ on the effects of attributes on crafting a while ago.

Basically, the results are:
  • the skill level doesn't really affect the quality of the item
  • dwarfs produce less crappy items when they like the material and/or the item
  • attributes don't seem to have a significant impact
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 09:42:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sorry about image sizes.

the items she made were 4 exceptional and 1 superior.

I dont know about how that person went about their science. but im sure it was with DF/hack.

I suppose things will change when toady gets the personality rewrites up and done.
Pages: [1] 2