Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Science: Where does it really come from?  (Read 4116 times)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Science: Where does it really come from?
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Magma does not come from magma flow. It comes from the open walls of the magma sea.

Using dfhack, I walled off all of the edges of the magma sea with obsidian. I then used the same tool to drain the entire sea. It did not refill. Even the magma flow tiles were completely empty. I did not complete manual draining, but it seemed to get similar results.

The one exception to this I found is the volcano: lava flow tiles inside the volcano tube DO produce lava, the same way that they did back in 40d. Channeling a hole from the surface to the magma sea does turn magma flow tiles into lava flow tiles, but does NOT make them start producing lava.

So if you want to drain the magma sea, find a way to block off the walls first. After that it shouldn't be that hard.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Science: Where does it really come from?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »

Where does it come from?
When a mummy magma and a daddy magma love each other very much...

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:10 pm »

That's basically the same thing as water, though, and should probably be expected.  Water source tiles (like the edges of streams, lakes, cavern lakes) are infinite. 

Cavern lakes always end at the end of a region tile, incidentally, so there are no infinite sources of water in the caverns if you embark on a 16x16 embark, but they are infinite if you embark in a way that a lake is dissected somehow. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:00 pm »

There may be an issue with DFHack draining the magma.  It's rather well known that hacking it can leave leftover "warm stone" readings and other "phantom liquid" effects.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:58:37 pm »

It might be worth seeing if your walled off magma sea refills if it isn't completely drained (in other words leave one z of 7/7 magma)
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »

Magma does not come from magma flow. It comes from the open walls of the magma sea.

Using dfhack, I walled off all of the edges of the magma sea with obsidian. I then used the same tool to drain the entire sea. It did not refill. Even the magma flow tiles were completely empty. I did not complete manual draining, but it seemed to get similar results.

The one exception to this I found is the volcano: lava flow tiles inside the volcano tube DO produce lava, the same way that they did back in 40d. Channeling a hole from the surface to the magma sea does turn magma flow tiles into lava flow tiles, but does NOT make them start producing lava.

So if you want to drain the magma sea, find a way to block off the walls first. After that it shouldn't be that hard.

To my knowledge magma flow is just the ceiling portion of uncovered semi-molten rock tiles. Same thing if you dig down to the semi molten layer and try to ramp through it or channel it will do this. So it would stand to reason the floor of the magma sea is covered in them.

Everything else you did makes sense.

Volcano tubes get their magma from somewhere in the tube, not the sea or bottom, I'm pretty sure its generated at the top level of where the magma is in the tube. When reclaiming this magma generating section moves and causes magma to spill everywhere.

I didn't realize there was a "lava flow" tile for tubes, figured it was the same.

Neat experiment by the way.

Where does it come from?
When a mummy magma and a daddy magma love each other very much...

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself.

LOL thanks for that... I was thinking things far worse =P
I voted for BANANA!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »

Hmmm... If only it was possible to legitimately drain the magma sea... I'd love to have a fortress floating inside an empty magma sea, surrounded by glowing semi-molten rock... It just sounds dwarfy.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:50 am »

Backround/story answer: the semi-molten rock.
More accurate answer: some other dimensional plane intersecting with ours at the volcanoes and magma sea edges.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 05:10:02 am »

To my knowledge magma flow is just the ceiling portion of uncovered semi-molten rock tiles. Same thing if you dig down to the semi molten layer and try to ramp through it or channel it will do this. So it would stand to reason the floor of the magma sea is covered in them.

oooooooooh wait, this explains why it can look as if a volcano exploded when you reclaim one! ty

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 05:48:13 am »

Magma is the physical representation of Armok.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:00:00 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 10:32:30 am »

Hmmm... If only it was possible to legitimately drain the magma sea... I'd love to have a fortress floating inside an empty magma sea, surrounded by glowing semi-molten rock... It just sounds dwarfy.

It is possible if you can seal off the edges with the bucket brigade. I think. I haven't tried it.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 11:43:29 am »

I empty magma flow tiles (which are always located just above SMR) sometimes, and surround them with walls. They never refill. I also make small caissons in magma sea, never had any problem with them refilling.