Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98

Author Topic: Things that made you Penguin today. <( ' >' )>  (Read 216762 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Mental images of people here.
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:40 am »

I always thought Skyrunner was a male up until this point. A very feminine male, but that doesn't make it any less shocking.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 12:21:49 am »

Right hand for weapon; left for shield. Your heart is on the left side and if your shield is on the left side that means there's something covering your heart, or closer to it. If however you're left handed, then you're covering the right side of your body, when your heart is on the left, leaving it more exposed.... You tended to die more if you were left handed because your damn shield was on the wrong side to protect your heart.
The main problem with that is that your heart is in the center, not the left side.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:56 am »

I picture you, DZA, as slightly muscular Dave Strider with a long spear in one hand and radiating with awesome.

Must be a side effect of watching your forum game.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:54 am »

Right hand for weapon; left for shield. Your heart is on the left side and if your shield is on the left side that means there's something covering your heart, or closer to it. If however you're left handed, then you're covering the right side of your body, when your heart is on the left, leaving it more exposed.... You tended to die more if you were left handed because your damn shield was on the wrong side to protect your heart.
The main problem with that is that your heart is in the center, not the left side.

This is true. The misconception that the heart is on the left side comes from the fact that the left side of a person's heart is slightly bigger than the right side.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2012, 12:49:32 am »

This is true. The misconception that the heart is on the left side comes from the fact that the left side of a person's heart is slightly bigger than the right side.
Wouldn't that meant that it is to the left of the center, at least if you measure by center of mass?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:11 am »

I dunno. I'd still say that looks more vulnerable from the left side than the right.... And eyeballing from the spine....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, consider also that you've really got the left/right mismatch going on turned up to 11 here.

Ever sat next to a left handed person as a right handed person? Their elbow bumps into yours whether you're writing or eating? Yeah. Except now you have spears or weapons....

So now imagine  two right handed people facing each other. One's weapon hand will hit the others shield hand and vice versa. So that "sitting next to a left handed person" problem, just got real. Now when you have a left handed person facing off against a right handed one, their shields are on the same side of their bodies (your left, his right) and their spears are on the same side of their bodies (your right, his left). So, now instead of the shield being on the same side as the other guy's weapon, both of your weapons are on the same side. Not good for either of them....

Confound this thread; I've recently started thinking about this when reading stuff from people. :P

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:04:16 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:37 am »

It's definitely not as far left as people think (under left nipple) but it's pretty ob4vious that it's more towards the left.

Ever sat next to a left handed person as a right handed person? Their elbow bumps into yours whether you're writing or eating? Yeah. Except now you have spears or weapons....

As a left handed person, I hate this and am now very glad I wasn't born a few centuries earlier.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:50 am »

I cannot believe we are extensively discussing hypotheses on the reason for the commonality of right-handedness. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:11 am »

I cannot believe we are extensively discussing hypotheses on the reason for the commonality of right-handedness.

On 12 Bay? I can't believe we don't more often. In DF, the default reason for anything is stabbing/slashing. :P

Now I'm picturing PoH has an actual penguin occasionally going into and out of the fridge and waddling over to the computer to type with flippers. What the hell is wrong with me? :)

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:16 am »

Meh, I'd be surprised if shields, or even stabbing weapons, have existed for a long enough stretch of time to have that impact on human evolution.

Also, I do tend to go with people-are-their-avatars, but it's typically colored by post tone and what I know of the person in question. It also breaks down entirely on non-humanoid avatars and people without avatars, who I tend to think of as formless intelligences.

Of course, now I have to attention-whoringly ask what people think of me, given the preponderance of people-as-avatars, and hope that my old Lelouch avatar didn't get stuck in too many associations, thus ruining the experiment.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2012, 02:01:49 am »

Meh, I'd be surprised if shields, or even stabbing weapons, have existed for a long enough stretch of time to have that impact on human evolution.

Yeah, I'm not sure that has any effect on anything. I think it's just one of those meaningless mutations that just happens to be rarer, like having blue eyes or attached earlobes. It is does affect how you life your life way more than something like hairy knuckles, though, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it did have some evolutionary history. But as far as I know, most of the world is symmetrical enough to not have too much of a difference on how lefties would live.

Now I'm picturing PoH has an actual penguin occasionally going into and out of the fridge and waddling over to the computer to type with flippers. What the hell is wrong with me? :)

Nothing worse than how most people see you as lawyer-cat. Animal avatars are the funniest to personify.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:50 am »

Of course, now I have to attention-whoringly ask what people think of me, given the preponderance of people-as-avatars, and hope that my old Lelouch avatar didn't get stuck in too many associations, thus ruining the experiment.

And since I like giving specific answers...

I used to get you confused with Boksi for some reason, so... I forever imagine you as a yandere pink haired anime girl with an axe.

I think it's just showing my age. But I can't really make myself do that since when I see those damn penguins I still see the now ages old bandwagon that only the oldbies remember. My god penguin. How long have you had that thing?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:38 am »

I think it's just showing my age. But I can't really make myself do that since when I see those damn penguins I still see the now ages old bandwagon that only the oldbies remember. My god penguin. How long have you had that thing?

2009, was it? I haven't changed my avatar at all since then, and it's become my avatar in other places on the internet.

I was actually one of the first people to get an avatar from inaluct (somewhere between second and fourth), so... hipster cred. No bandwagoning here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2012, 02:22:25 am »

I was fairly quick to jump on to that bandwagon, around the tenth mark. That was before I'd established an identity here. A martini and boot holding penguin, it was; still remember it with fondness. I remember with significantly less fondness my complete and utter lack of writing and social skills on the internet. I'm proud to have progressed from the 'blatantly obvious 13 year old on the internet' to the 'generic young adult know-nothing know-it-all' that I am today, but less proud of the inbetween bits.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:23:59 am by Jackrabbit »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2012, 11:04:42 am »

Nothing worse than how most people see you as lawyer-cat. Animal avatars are the funniest to personify.

We bring it on ourselves though via choice of avatar. :)

Aw hon, you're fine. :) Don't worry about it. Most people don't worry about that with you. Really they wonder what the heck G.I.S.D.M. stands for. Girl in South Dallas Metro? Game Inspired Shooting Dumb Mooks? Great Incredible Super Dungeon Master? Inquiring minds want to know, but just like how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98