Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98

Author Topic: Things that made you Penguin today. <( ' >' )>  (Read 216785 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Mental images of people here.
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 02:44:48 am »

How many hands do these people have?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 02:52:18 am »

You can hold a book/magazine and turn the pages with one hand. It isn't that easy, but isn't impossible either. You can actually do a lot of things with only one hand that you wouldn't imagine being doable. The same goes for your feet. I occasionally practice doing various things in both of those ways in case I ever lose one or both of my arms.

I'm also in the process of gaining learned ambidexterity for the same reason. No one who learns it can ever be anywhere near as good as one of the rare individuals who are naturally ambidextrous, but there's some potential there that most people never bother looking into.

In case you are curious, in the total human population:
Right-Hand Dominant: ~70%
Left-Hand Dominant: ~30%
Natural Ambidexterity: >1%

And no one actually knows why most humans are right handed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2012, 02:55:29 am »

Presumably social conditioning has something to do with it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:18 am »

Thats gotta be the best derail ever. Mental images into paper based adult entertainment into nature of dominant hands. Well done, you win some internets.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2012, 03:00:59 am »

Presumably social conditioning has something to do with it.
I don't think so. The effects of trying to forcefully condition someone into having a hand dominance other than the one they have is known to cause all manner of mental havoc. It seems to be beyond societal expectations. Even places where left-handedness wasn't/isn't taboo have a minority of left-handed people, a majority of right-handed people, and a superminority of freaks naturally ambidextrous people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2012, 03:53:16 am »

There's always the novelty value. It may also be that there are people who prefer holding physical paper rather than looking at an electronic screen, and that would also explain why newspapers aren't completely dead yet.
I'd always prefer newspapers over an internet site to be honest, although both is of course optimal.
And reading a book without a book is just blasphemy.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:58 am »

(I have a bit of synesthesia. Feelings are colors, numbers are shapes, etc.)
I wouldn't call it outright synesthesia, but most numbers have an associated color and taste for me. It's weird about how it's categorized, though. For example, 4, 14, 40-49, 400-499 and such are all some form of green and green-associated flavors like lime. Why is 4 so green? Dammed if I know.

TH1S NUMB3R H4S SUCH 4 D3L1GHTFUL T4ST3 OF K3Y L1M3!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:52 am »

There's always the novelty value. It may also be that there are people who prefer holding physical paper rather than looking at an electronic screen, and that would also explain why newspapers aren't completely dead yet.
I'd always prefer newspapers over an internet site to be honest, although both is of course optimal.
And reading a book without a book is just blasphemy.
Have all the agreement.

As for reading with one hand: how else are you supposed to multitask? Heck, half the time I'll have it propped open with a foot, turning the pages with my toes while I'm typing or writing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2012, 06:30:11 pm »

Though I have no proof, I'd imagine its because genetic drift.

Once upon a time, there used to be right handed genes and left handed genes. Because they affected the fitness of an individual in no way whatsoever, they just existed. And eventually because of random chance right handed genes proliferated more than left handed genes, so there are more right handed people than left handed people.

...This is a great oversimplification, though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2012, 06:43:30 pm »

Once upon a time, there used to be right handed genes and left handed genes. Because they affected the fitness of an individual in no way whatsoever, they just existed. And eventually because of random chance right handed genes proliferated more than left handed genes, so there are more right handed people than left handed people.

And fails to take into account ambidexterity. Which would seem like a fairly useful trait.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2012, 08:43:50 pm »

I'm surprised a gamer didn't see this:

Right hand for weapon; left for shield. Your heart is on the left side and if your shield is on the left side that means there's something covering your heart, or closer to it. If however you're left handed, then you're covering the right side of your body, when your heart is on the left, leaving it more exposed.... You tended to die more if you were left handed because your damn shield was on the wrong side to protect your heart.

Any idea of me? O_o I have too little people that know me well & also live on General Discussion. I think.

Classic nerdgirl, whom I love to pal around with. Brown hair. High probability of glasses and/or contacts.  :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »

Any idea of me? O_o I have too little people that know me well & also live on General Discussion. I think.

Classic nerdgirl, whom I love to pal around with. Brown hair. High probability of glasses and/or contacts.  :)

Surprisingly, same.

I imagine Truean as having really long black hair going down both sides of her head.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »

And fails to take into account ambidexterity. Which would seem like a fairly useful trait.

*shrug* I did say it was a simplification.
Possible ideas:

i. Ambidexterity is rare (since I presume your good hand is decided by a mix of genes: polygenic, I think?)
  ii. Ambidexterity is 'useful' but not a big enough of an advantage to increase the % of ambidexterous persons.
  iii. Assuming ii is correct, ambidexteroty was just unlucky in the genetic lottery.
  iv. i, ii AND iii.

@Truean & ffs
Surprisingly, no corrective lenses at all! xD

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:26:03 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »

I dunno. I think my vision of skyrunner is forever colored by her avatar.

Ill forever see you as Secret only with jeans and a loose ponytail at a computer.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2012, 11:36:16 pm »

@Truean & ffs
Surprisingly, no corrective lenses at all! xD

[hugs] Works either way, but am honestly happy for you.

I imagine Truean as having really long black hair going down both sides of her head.

Dirty Blonde actually. Never dyed either.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98