Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I need help with an idea for a device  (Read 6615 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with an idea for a device
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:27 am »

Try making a pressure plate on the bottom so if a dwarf falls onto it the reservoi empties and washes the dwarf corpse away. It then resets itself.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45:31 am »

Try making a pressure plate on the bottom so if a dwarf falls onto it the reservoi empties and washes the dwarf corpse away. It then resets itself.
Washes it into magma and is made into a statue for dwarves to admire.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:02 am »

And then it's put on a single pillar above 90z levels of nothing so when that one fateful day comes, demons will be splattered by a fuckton of statues mad eout of dwarfs, obsidian and Arm:ok himself.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:57 am »

i thought you wanted a fairly rigorous interpretation of automatic.

I think I was overthinking it a bit.  I'm planning to design and build a fort that has to sacrifice a dwarf on a regular basis, or the fort will automatically self-destruct.
Now how would that work? Does the fort notice when you skip the sacrifices? If so, then how?

The basic theory is you rig up a system on a timer (say, water-based).  Water fills a tank from the center and slowly spreads out before filling.  When the tank is full (say, the outer edge has pressure plates set to detect 7/7 water), it engages the self-destruct system.  The sacrificial pressure plate would drain the tank and thus reset the system.

Surely the tank overflowing could be the self destruct?

That takes time and would be quite slow.  It needs to be a sudden and final event when triggered.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:36 am »

That takes time and would be quite slow.  It needs to be a sudden and final event when triggered.

Ah righto - I look forward to seeing what you come up with that can kill an entire fort faster than the occupants can save themselves...
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:50 am »

well, assigning a dwarf to a burrow isn't any different than assigning him to pull a suicide lever.  If doing so is acceptable, then great, but it'll only happen when you tell it to happen, never "automatically" or on a timer.  In the context of Aussieguy's self destruct fort, the water tower would refill upon the death room being activated, and when the water tower gets down to say 20% full or something, a plate would unlock the death room.  Then its just an issue of keeping pets out and putting something shiny inside to tempt any random dwarf (magma-proof bed, lever pull job on repeat for any dwarf.. whatever)

Presto, fully automated.  If you want dwarves to be exempt you can assign them to a burrow that doesn't include the death room, and if you want to manually pick a dwarf to die, then you can always burrow him into the death room.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

I've been stewing on this too.  I have an idea, but it may be somewhat space consuming.  Murder Life-span re-assignment room is an arbitrary size, not less than 1x4 open floor space.  Floodgate closes door (perhaps behind a regular door that can stay locked to prevent unplanned operation), and anther floodgate permits water from closed system cistern, central water supply, river, etc.  One floor square is a hatch-cover for drainage, linked to the reset condition.  Drain may encompass floor grate on lower Z-level to facilitate straining.  Another floor section is a pressure plate to activate the system.  Third floor square is bait assignment device.  This could be a bed, do nothing switch, etc.  Alternately, the switch could be the activation condition, if you want them to pull thier own trigger.  The fourth floor square is a "latch".  It is activated by 2/7 water.  It is linked to the reset circuit, and does not allow the reset circuit to signal again until water is nearly gone from the room.

On the Z-level above, one tile is channeled, and floor grate installed.  This allows for over-flow into the timing circuit.  The timing circuit is a closed cistern, on the other side of one wall of the main room, with a linked hatch-cover for draining, as the main room.  The volume of the cistern is the timer.  Dependent upon the length of time it will take an victim assignee to drown complete their assignment in the chamber, the cistern has to be of sufficient volume to fill with the overflow of the main room, before overflowing, itself, into the reset circuit.

Beside the timing circuit is a spillway with a pressure plate.  The pressure plate is set to trigger at 1/7 water.  This will only activate once the timing circuit fills and overflows.  This spillway drains immediately.

Once the system is activated, the flood gate to the entry passage is closed, the floodgate to the water source is opened, and the room fills with water.  Once the volume of the room is full, water flows out of the floor grate on the Z-level above, spilling into the timing circuit.

Once the timing circuit fills, it spills over onto the reset circuit.  The reset circuit changes the state of the two floodgates as well as the two hatch-covers.  This circuit only fires once, until the state of the latch in the main chamber resets it.

Where the water goes out of the system is another matter.  It could go into the cavern layer.  It could go back to a central water supply, out the side of the mountain if you're installing this several Z-levels up, go to a pump house with a pump stack set to R, returning it to a closed loop water tank for the system, etc.

It may be adviseable, also, to have a door into the section of drain that has the floor grate under the main room drain.  It would act as a cleanout.  I'd say keep it locked most of the time, to avoid socktrample after normal operations.

Admittedly, I'm only so-so with interlinking pressure plates and mechanisms for interdependent reset conditions, but I think the concept is sound.

What do you think?

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 10:10:30 am »

For greater dwarfiness you could use a volcano as your timer.

Code: [Select]
          somewhere up here is the natural level of your volcano
#     ##
#     2#
#     ##
  ...     as many z-levels as you like
#     ##
#     1#
#     ##
  ...     as many z-levels as you like
#     ##
#     3#
#     ##
#     X -> to drain
#     ##

Where the # indicate the walls of your volcano or magma pipe.
X is your floodgate to drain the volcano somewhere convenient.
1 is a pressure plate to set to trigger at 7/7 magma. This opens the door to your sacrificial chamber.
2 is a pressure plate set to trigger at 7/7 magma. This sets off the doomsday device.
3 is a pressure plate set to trigger at 0/7 magma. This will turn off when the magma has drained below this level. This closes the drain and allows the chamber to refill. Some basic water logic or creature logic could take care of this.

A simple AND gate will suffice, where the drain is open whenever plate 3 and your dwarf-related trigger are activated. The trick is keeping the dwarf-related trigger open long enough to drain the volcano back to plate 3, and then resetting that memory cell when plate 3 turns off.

The slow refilling of the volcano after draining will serve as your timer. All with zero player maintenance!

Bonus points if you place your drop chamber to drop sacrifices into the volcano itself.
Double bonus if you use the volcano as part of your doomsday device
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:15:59 am by ivanthe8th »
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 11:05:15 am »

You might like what I've done, then:

Vertical fort, channel all sides, diagonal tiles to get to mining sections. Timer is a water tower, hatch at the bottom, pressure plate at the top off to the side. If/when the water hits the plate, it triggers a support placed off to the side, entire fort drops into magma sea.

Timer runs off an aquifer, hatch drops water into magma sea for disposal.

Or, bonus, the disposal hatch is a resivoir, you can only dump the tower so many times. Make the best fort you can before the inevitable doomsday :p

EDIT: super bonus points: make the resevoir a cistern with a well. The more water they drink, the longer the fort lasts :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:08:03 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:22 am »

Vertical fort, channel all sides, diagonal tiles to get to mining sections. Timer is a water tower, hatch at the bottom, pressure plate at the top off to the side. If/when the water hits the plate, it triggers a support placed off to the side, entire fort drops into magma sea.

Or, bonus, the disposal hatch is a resivoir, you can only dump the tower so many times. Make the best fort you can before the inevitable doomsday :p

EDIT: super bonus points: make the resevoir a cistern with a well. The more water they drink, the longer the fort lasts :D

I might actually borrow a bit of that - It's a far better idea for a timer than what I had.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 11:32:53 am »

I might actually borrow a bit of that - It's a far better idea for a timer than what I had.

You may use the Dwarven Water Tower Doomsday Timer (TM) design freely :p

Oh, forgot to mention, you'll need a pressure reliever in the design, or a really huge tower. But I'm sure you already figured that part out :p

Wouldn't want to have to sacrifice dwarves too often, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:52 am »

One simple doomsday device would be to dig to the circus and have their route up blocked by a hatch. If/when doomsday comes, just have it linked to open the hatch.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »

One simple doomsday device would be to dig to the circus and have their route up blocked by a hatch. If/when doomsday comes, just have it linked to open the hatch.

thought leaving the circus bottled up was an fps killer.

Anyway, if you're going to do that, just have a support pierce HFS with a cave-in (needs a savescum though)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »

I find it to be much more effort to assign somebody to their own military squad than to just have a lever and use the manager profile to assign them to it.  Maybe that's just me.  It's also much more precise than military move orders.  Military gets you roughly within 5 squares of where you tell them to stand.  A lever is exact.

Lever + shift-P + hit their name + create task to pull the lever on repeat = dwarf who stands in EXACTLY the right place for weeks.

You could have literally a 1x1 room with a door closing it off, and simply dump a single 7/7 block of magma into it when the (magma safe) lever is pulled.  If you want to be stylish with the magma.  If not, then just a 1xN hallway with lever at the end, and a long bridge that smashes them as they walk back out, triggered by said lever.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 05:15:31 pm »

You do realise you're proposing using the circus as a doomsday to the guy who built several holiday homes down there, right?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3