Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I need help with an idea for a device  (Read 6611 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
I need help with an idea for a device
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:57:30 am »

I'm trying to mentally put together a room that will automatically seal and kill the dwarf that enters it, but I cant quite get there.  It needs to be self-resetting and not need a dwarf to recover the body (it'd set it off again, obviously).  Magma's the obvious answer to that part, but I still cant quite get a basic idea for how to make the killroom self-resetting (corpse-dumping optional).

This is partly for an amusing way to off annoying nobles ("What's that, a bronze bed?  Why, sure... there's one in that room over there.  It's for soldiers only though, so don't mind the militia draft..."), but I also have larger plans for one in a new fort I want to build.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with an idea for a device
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:04 am »

A flusher + obsidianizer on the level below, triggered by pressure plates.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:00:17 am »

A flusher + obsidianizer on the level below, triggered by pressure plates.

An obsidianizer needs the chamber mined out, so no.  I need it to be completely self-resetting.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:52 am »

Long hallway with a lever at the end. The lever is one of two levers linked to a set of bridges that line the hallway. Dwarves walk at a steady speed, so you can predict where they will be standing with an error of margin. Assign the lever to the specific dwarf that you want erased, and then have it pulled. As long as you don't try to prevent them from leaving, they will be atom-smashed on the way out.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:16:51 am »

to lock him in, make a pressure plate linked to a hatch/grate so he can go in, but not out.  Have a magma tank above the room, the magma held up by a bridge or a series of hatches.  Make a pressure plate that he paths over release magma into the room.  All that is important is that enough magma drains in 100 steps (200 for bridge), to guarantee he dies.  If he only crosses that pressure plate once, it won't jam or get out of sync.  Put a drain in the room so it will clear (but not clear so fast that the dwarf survives.  On the level with the magma tank, have a section that isn't directly over a hatch/bridge, and place a pressure plate there.  When the magma on the plate is below 4/7 or 5/7 (whatever you've calculated to be necessary), it causes pumps to refill it, but this won't interfere with the plate locking the dwarf in when he tries to path out or the plate that ensures the roof is only open for 100 steps.

Only problem I can see is that the dwarf will try to path out once there is magma, and he will trigger the plate that opens the magma hatch, this could be a problem if you use bridges, so stick to a series of hatches.  The other option is you can place the lock after the trigger.  In that case you will want to use a bridge, but you have to construct the room in such a way that the initial rush of water won't break his pathing or cause him to flee before passing over the lock.

you can also do this with water, but its a bit trickier because you have to count on the dwarf getting pushed into an open space to his death, although then you can recover the body.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:20:53 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:58 am »

X = Pressure plate
I = a wall
B = a bridge

Code: [Select]
       IIIII
       IBBBBI
IIIIIIIIBBBBI
-------XBBBBI
IIIIIIIIBBBBI
       IBBBBI
       IIIII

Dwarf gets to the bridge to
a) Pull a lever
b) Burrowed there
c) IDGAF how

Pressure plate is connected to bridge, dwarf falls into something and dies. Possible variations include:
a)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
b) Danger room with *spears*
c) IDGAF
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:20:27 am »

-Design-

That'll do perfectly, thank you. 

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:21:36 am »

-Design-

That'll do perfectly, thank you.

I'm not sure if it works correctly, I'm at work otherwise I'd test it for you.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:23:28 am »

i thought you wanted a fairly rigorous interpretation of automatic.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:27:10 am »

I think I was overthinking it a bit.  I'm planning to design and build a fort that has to sacrifice a dwarf on a regular basis, or the fort will automatically self-destruct.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:26 am »

That would hit the criteria. Noble wanders onto bridge, pressure plate sends open signal, bridge opens with noble on it, pressure plate sends close signal 99 ticks later, system is ready to go again

Only modification it needs is to make the bridge long and thin (well, it can still be wide I guess but definitely long enough to ensure dwarf is on it) and a lever on the other end which would make a sure fire attractant to the Noble
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:43:16 am by xmakina »
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:32:06 am »

I think I was overthinking it a bit.  I'm planning to design and build a fort that has to sacrifice a dwarf on a regular basis, or the fort will automatically self-destruct.
Now how would that work? Does the fort notice when you skip the sacrifices? If so, then how?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:44 am »

S is a Sock :)

Code: [Select]
       IIIII
       IBBBBI
IIIIIIIIBBBBIIII
-------XBBBB--SI
IIIIIIIIBBBBIIII
       IBBBBI
       IIIII
Dwarf gets to the bridge to
a) Pull a lever
b) Burrowed there
c) IDGAF how
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:40:48 am by SRD »
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:34:54 am »

Now how would that work? Does the fort notice when you skip the sacrifices? If so, then how?

The basic theory is you rig up a system on a timer (say, water-based).  Water fills a tank from the center and slowly spreads out before filling.  When the tank is full (say, the outer edge has pressure plates set to detect 7/7 water), it engages the self-destruct system.  The sacrificial pressure plate would drain the tank and thus reset the system.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:43:52 am »

The basic theory is you rig up a system on a timer (say, water-based).  Water fills a tank from the center and slowly spreads out before filling.  When the tank is full (say, the outer edge has pressure plates set to detect 7/7 water), it engages the self-destruct system.  The sacrificial pressure plate would drain the tank and thus reset the system.

Surely the tank overflowing could be the self destruct?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.
Pages: [1] 2 3