Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I need help with an idea for a device  (Read 6607 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with an idea for a device
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 05:39:17 pm »

One simple doomsday device would be to dig to the circus and have their route up blocked by a hatch. If/when doomsday comes, just have it linked to open the hatch.

You do realise you're proposing using the circus as a doomsday to the guy who built several holiday homes down there, right?

Of course, but I know his weakness. But without his checkerboard, he's powerless against them! Mu-ha-ha!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:43 pm »

A flusher + obsidianizer on the level below, triggered by pressure plates.

An obsidianizer needs the chamber mined out, so no.  I need it to be completely self-resetting.
It obsidianizes into the magma sea, disappears on SMR.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 08:14:16 pm »

I've always wanted to build a strange device that would kill a lot of (or all) the fort if it was turned off. Something that could be built during a succession game, so that later players would have to disarm it or maintain power to avoid unpleasantness. One simple example would be a pump that prevents water or magma from touching a pressure plate, and the pump requires occasional dwarf power.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:03 pm »

I've always wanted to build a strange device that would kill a lot of (or all) the fort if it was turned off. Something that could be built during a succession game, so that later players would have to disarm it or maintain power to avoid unpleasantness. One simple example would be a pump that prevents water or magma from touching a pressure plate, and the pump requires occasional dwarf power.

I want to do this too.  I eventually plan to try building a wall of screwpumps that hold back the ocean with the fort built on what was the ocean floor.  If the pumps stop, bye-bye fortress

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 08:21:17 pm »

...And this is why we have no Atlantis.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12
Pages: 1 2 [3]