Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 187902 times)

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #1155 on: January 27, 2015, 02:18:12 pm »

I almost regretted picking this up (even at 75% off) but, now that I've filled my character slots with a cast of diverse and entertaining personalities, I'm getting into the groove. I'm evilnancyreagan, I'm an altoholic.

I set up shop on Darkhaven, is that where the Bay12 party is raging all night?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 27, 2015, 05:56:14 pm »

I almost regretted picking this up (even at 75% off) but, now that I've filled my character slots with a cast of diverse and entertaining personalities, I'm getting into the groove. I'm evilnancyreagan, I'm an altoholic.

I set up shop on Darkhaven, is that where the Bay12 party is raging all night?

Awesome GW2 Feature #1052: Server doesn't matter for PvE. You can party up with friends and join guilds regardless. Server matters for WvW, the open world PvP mode.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 27, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »

So I ended up picking this up on the 75% off sale, any advice for a new player?

The trade off for harder classes is that they're more fun to play. :D

The community is pretty helpful. Asking a question in map chat usually gets a useful response.

Guilds are awesome. Avoid the ones that demand 100% rep, those are usually too needy. There are content-specific guilds for dungeons that are very helpful.

There's specific newb guilds. Operation Union / Legion of Honor is one I know: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/players/Operation-Union-Bringing-Players-Together-2 and http://operationunion.enjin.com/
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 27, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »

Is it worth getting back into?

Short answer:  Yes. 

It's changed a lot, and mostly improvements.  The trait changes are an exception - new characters are much harder now.  They've promised to revamp that this year with the expansion though, so I'm leveling new alts again.  Login and check it out unless you utterly hated it.

The forums have a bunch of the typical MMO whiners. But the game is a lot of fun and has basically gotten better throughout this year. 

I can go into more details about changes if you want.
To summarize:

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:01 pm »

Awesome GW2 Feature #1052: Server doesn't matter for PvE. You can party up with friends and join guilds regardless. Server matters for WvW, the open world PvP mode.

Unfortunatly, this is only partly true. I got gifted a copy on the sale, and made a character on the EU servers, only to find out that I can't play with my teamspeak buddies from the US. :(
It is not possible to PvE/PvP/WvW together for EU and US server players. You won't be able to guest servers that are not in your territory.

Note that it is possible though, to transfer your character to any server, regardless whether EU or US, for a fee of 1200 gems.

EDIT: Apart from that, I am having a blast at it. The game engine is well-crafted. I don't think I've seen any single player game I own give me this smooth performance on high graphics settings. Visually, what I've seen so far looks beautiful too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:06:38 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 27, 2015, 10:11:14 pm »

Unfortunatly, this is only partly true. I got gifted a copy on the sale, and made a character on the EU servers, only to find out that I can't play with my teamspeak buddies from the US. :(
It is not possible to PvE/PvP/WvW together for EU and US server players. You won't be able to guest servers that are not in your territory.

Note that it is possible though, to transfer your character to any server, regardless whether EU or US, for a fee of 1200 gems.

EDIT: Apart from that, I am having a blast at it. The game engine is well-crafted. I don't think I've seen any single player game I own give me this smooth performance on high graphics settings. Visually, what I've seen so far looks beautiful too.

Blast it, I forgot about that.

The game is beautiful isn't it?

The stability has improved a lot over the past 2 years. It used to DC and lag, but I haven't had that happen in a long time.

Major boss battles can be problematic, but that's easily settled by lowering graphics a bit. It still looks fine at lower settings too. Just blockier. 
To summarize:

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:55 pm »

If you haven't gotten too invested yet, you can change servers and regions for free if you don't have any characters. (Things that exist outside of your personal inventory are preserved, I believe.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 28, 2015, 11:40:30 am »

If you haven't gotten too invested yet, you can change servers and regions for free if you don't have any characters. (Things that exist outside of your personal inventory are preserved, I believe.)

Man, seriously? I actually skipped GW2 entirely because no one could answer my question on whether you could switch servers if you deleted your characters. Thought you'd straight up have to drop the $22.50 for gems in order to make the switch.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 28, 2015, 02:05:29 pm »

Thought you'd straight up have to drop the $22.50 for gems in order to make the switch.

You don't actually have to buy gems with RL cash - you can buy them for (significant amounts of) in-game money too.  The exchange rate is understandably punitive though.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 28, 2015, 07:16:55 pm »

Last I checked the gem rates were set by supply and demand though, at least back when I played.  I actually made a little bit of gold back in the early days by buying up gems with gold before an event and selling the gems during it.  Just because gem prices always spiked right when new stuff showed up in black lion.

Did gem prices just end up inflating so much that the tax is too high for that or did NC decide to throw out that model?  That would be a disappointment to me if they did.  I liked that if I wanted to buy gems I could just wait til nothing was happening and get them on the cheap then resell later or buy gem items I wanted for less gold than most.

I actually have a molten pick lightning axe and the water scythe thanks do doing that right before they were released.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:19:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 29, 2015, 11:31:51 am »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:10:27 am by penguinofhonor »

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »

They haven't changed the model, I don't see how jhxmt's post would imply that. The gold price is just high. If there's a big event going on with a lot of gem store stuff, it gets extra high.

Yeah, I think supply and demand still works as expected - it's just that even when cheap, gems are a fair amount of gold.  If you've got that fair amount of gold to spend, I'm sure you could still take advantage of price fluctuations.  I'm not at that point yet.   :)

Edit: also, kudos on spelling jhxmt right, it's amazing how many people transpose a couple of letters!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:11 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:10:31 am by penguinofhonor »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 30, 2015, 02:42:45 am »

Well, I ended up ditching the Necromancer...kinda boring to me and minions died so easily.

So, I ended up making a Charr Mesmer...and so much more fun :D Pop up illusions (better than ranger or necromancer pets lol, even though not technically pets)...do all kinds of stuff. Its way more involved...and sadly, from level 1 (with a greatsword) does WAY more damage than the necromancer ever did lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 30, 2015, 09:22:43 am »

Well, I ended up ditching the Necromancer...kinda boring to me and minions died so easily.

So, I ended up making a Charr Mesmer...and so much more fun :D Pop up illusions (better than ranger or necromancer pets lol, even though not technically pets)...do all kinds of stuff. Its way more involved...and sadly, from level 1 (with a greatsword) does WAY more damage than the necromancer ever did lol.

Necro can do direct damage with something like an axe/scepter + staff well build, but you're generally better off slapping the foe with conditions.

Mesmer has a little bit more breathing space with its builds - you can make a stealthy one, a damaging one, or a condition one.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 86