Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 187895 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #1140 on: January 25, 2015, 07:10:28 am »

yeah, for PvP probably not great. I just found it really funny my pets kept glitching and becoming godmode tanks :P Wouldn't work for PvP obviously. And hey, maybe I'll go back on next week and it won't work or something lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 25, 2015, 08:06:24 am »

So, I just got this in the weekend sale (still running today if you're quick and haven't got it yet!), and I'm liking the exploration and look/feel of the place so far.  I'm only level 8, but I'm having fun.  :)

I'm playing a human mesmer - I probably need to think about future builds, best way to use, etc, but at the moment I'm just enjoying running around, attacking stuff and suddenly seeing three more of me.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 25, 2015, 08:35:47 am »

Pets are great for the Necro who doesn't give a shit about damage or conditions or fear. Namely, map completion. Having a number of pets with you at all times is fantastic for survivability in PvE and map completion reasons, but in competitive PvP they're utterly useless - sure, Blood Fiend can heal you like a signet can and does minor damage as well, but if it dies your heal goes on cooldown. Really the only minion worth using is Flesh Golem.

Does Guild Wars 2 let you respect easily at least?

yop it lets you respec pretty much everything whenever you are not in combat. (combat skills, traits)
gw2 is overall really fair to the players in such things, also with switching a lot of stuff from "character bound" to "account bound" some patches ago you can use pretty much anything with all your characters. (i.e. you get a good amulet you could switch it from character to character.)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 25, 2015, 10:12:55 am »

Pets are great for the Necro who doesn't give a shit about damage or conditions or fear. Namely, map completion. Having a number of pets with you at all times is fantastic for survivability in PvE and map completion reasons, but in competitive PvP they're utterly useless - sure, Blood Fiend can heal you like a signet can and does minor damage as well, but if it dies your heal goes on cooldown. Really the only minion worth using is Flesh Golem.

For free, any time as long as you're out of combat.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 25, 2015, 11:03:19 am »

I know I did a recruitment blurb awhile ago, but because of the recent sale and consequent wave of new players coming in, I might as well do another one:

Any of you guys looking for a guild can come join me on Darkhaven (transferring servers is free, transferring toons between servers costs money/gems) in Cthulhu Saves the World [CSW]. We bled members after the giant feature patch that came out awhile ago and I'd like to raise the banner again and start playing again before the expansion comes out. We happily accept newbies, and we had about 75 active members at our highest, but that was long ago. We had pretty much everything guild-related researched and built, too.
And now the downside, we used a combo of skype for our inner circle chats and RaidCall for grouping, and while RC is pretty decent for free, it's not perfect. I'll see about getting a VoIP server if we get that big again.
We weren't 100% rep, and I'll let that slide again except during guild events/raids/things.

You can PM me here for details or in-game at Jimbo.8952
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 25, 2015, 12:05:53 pm »

Yes, though the way the system works isn't the same as most MMO's.  To unlock skills you have to get skill points, which are awarded at certain levels and from doing skill challenges at skill point POI's.  You purchase your non-weapon skills with these which are anywhere from 1-25 skill points, once you buy the skill the points are non-refundable but you'll come across more than enough to unlock all skills, which are interchangeable whenever you aren't in combat.

At level 30 you then unlock traits, which are a bit more limited.  In the trait menu are 5 categories where you place your trait points with + and - signs, so you can move your trait points where you'd like them for your build freely.  After that you also get traits themselves, which you have to unlock doing special events which are similar to achievements.  Sometimes it's as easy as killing a big baddy and other times it's performing certain skills/damage types in various ways(as an example one for the guardian is doing fire damage while knocked down during a group event).  Or you can buy them with gold and excess skill points.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:12:03 pm by corrosivechains »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:51 pm »

I just started, so low level undead pets obviously. But, they keep getting stuck in terrain or just standing still not doing anything. So I run around them until the enemy AI switches to my pet and they act as an invulnverable tank who heals to full every second. Sometimes I tell my pet to charge, they get the enemy, and most of the time my pet(s) get stuck again and broken...or I just resummon to try again.

I was extremely disappointed in the pets - not just in their balancing but in the controls. A lot of the times I watched them do absolutely nothing even as I was taking damage, especially underwater, and never mind that they were also pretty flimsy at the time and definitely didn't fulfill any kind of damage sponge role (because my personal damage output far exceeded what they could do individually, so enemies always came for me).

Everquest had better pet AI, it was preposterous to me that the GW2's was so terrible.

Also, they didn't seem to scale at all from what I could tell, which is a myopic oversight for a third generation MMO. Even if the GW2 stat model downplays the significance of equipment tiers, they still existed and the devs should have foreseen the absurdity in skills being fundamentally less powerful because they scaled only with player level.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:10:57 pm by Niveras »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 25, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »

Most of the Necromancer minions have a secondary use anyway - Blood Fiend to be sacrificed to heal a portion of health a la Healing Signet on Warriors, except worse. Consume Conditions is a far and away better heal (more initial heal, + more heal for every condition removed)

Bone minions to be living bombs, though you had to wait for them to engage an enemy before detonating them (unlike Mesmer clones which run up to the enemy THEN detonate). They're super fragile.

Bone Fiends aren't terrible. They have ranged attack, deal more damage than the Blood Fiend and Bone Minions (who aren't being exploded), and can immobilise foes at a cost of immobilising themselves - but given their attack is ranged, being immobile doesn't matter much. But if you want to control foes, why not use fear skills? Not only does it remove movement control from them, but it also prevents them attacking, unlike Immobilise.

Flesh Wurms are a useful method of teleporting. It's one of Necro's few mobility skills, a la Blink on the Mesmer. Summon flesh wurm, it remains where it stands, attacking - use its move again, and you teleport inside it and telefrag it. Some builds use it, though I'd really recommend just having the Well skills there instead for their superior damage. And Necros aren't meant to be mobile - that's what you have your life force for.

Flesh Golems are probably the best, if only because they're tankier, and have a launch-and-knockdown move at your command, as well as doing respectable damage.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 25, 2015, 10:37:34 pm »

Some charr still have gods, particularly the Flame Legion that are trying to revive Baelfire as one. It's more that they have a different spiritual system than humans, which is what we primarily see, as GW1 was human-centric. Also, it's not like the human gods are all-powerful either. They're more like Greco-Roman larger-tgan-life figures.

I'd go as far as saying that of the major races, only the Asura worship no gods/spiritual entities. (Sylvari squeak by-- they're a blend of human/centaur with a bit of mother goddess mysticism mixed in as the Pale Tree [and avatar].)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 26, 2015, 02:55:12 am »

So I ended up picking this up on the 75% off sale, any advice for a new player?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 26, 2015, 03:33:40 am »

- Some classes are easier than others. Possibly the easiest to pick up is the Warrior, and Mesmer or Elementalist being the toughest.

- People are really, really helpful.

- Find a guild quicksmart. Choose the Ehmry Bay server, i'm part of a biiiig guild.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 26, 2015, 03:49:02 am »

I was gifted a copy and made an engineer. They seem pretty easy to play for me - at least for the moment. I've got a few months of WoW experience under my belt, so that probably helps.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 26, 2015, 08:55:19 am »

Read up on the classes on the wiki and don't be afraid to experiment with traits as you level up. Oh, and you can buy decent cheap green gear from the AH when you hit 80 to fill yourself out before working on full exotics.

Seriously though, before the respec changes i used to drop tons of silver on switching traits to experiment with Engi builds. I ended up shooting for celestial gear (all stats) so i could switch builds on the fly and still have gear that would be useful. I was grinding some extra gold to grab Runes of the Traveler to go with the armor, but then my guild started losing members.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 26, 2015, 05:15:47 pm »

I was gifted a copy and made an engineer. They seem pretty easy to play for me - at least for the moment. I've got a few months of WoW experience under my belt, so that probably helps.

In terms of optimal play, engineers are probably the most complex. I've actually given up playing them on laptops after wearing out two different keyboards. -_-

Mesmers and elementalists are also up there. On the other hand, easy (but still very useful) warrior builds can be played perfectly well by pounding skills randomly.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 27, 2015, 01:41:43 pm »

Is it worth getting back into?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 86