Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 187926 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #1050 on: July 31, 2013, 05:15:17 am »

I try to get into it every now and again but I just find combat too slow. There just aren't enough abilities to use in combat. Of course, the only class I have above level 15 or so is a necromancer (who also has terrible issues regarding pet balance and pet control). I've tried leveling both a rogue (which seem more resource based) and an engineer (still cooldown based but their grenades, for example, cycle quickly) just to experience other classes but the grind gets to me within a level or two and I stop and go do something else.

It's ironic, in a traditional MMO like SWTOR or WoW, in leveling I generally only use about four abilities anyway. But because I'm limited by resources instead of cooldowns, it feels more active (plus I actually do have a variety of non-spammable keys - cooldowns, interrupts, CC, etc). Even in boss fights where managing your resource becomes a kind of "delayed cooldown," I still have a lot more options to choose from than in GW2. As a necromancer, my highest DPS appears to be dual daggers and one, maybe two wells, and if I touch anything else I've chosen poorly. Auto attack should never, ever be a player's best decision for damage, it should only be supplementary. (Commentary void when options exist to benefit from staff's AE effects).

I may have complained about this before, possibly in this very thread, but no one's every bothered to discuss it.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:47 am »

Last I played the the bunker or burster setups were incredibly stale, with game balance set up for either extreme. The strategic restriction further magnified by only a select few viable builds. Any changes here, or is it still go full bunker or full burster or gtfo?
Also I remember ranged weapons and kiting dominating the battlefield, with melee weapons serving only for a few burst builds. Have they toned down kiting somewhat yet?

How about the ranking and queue system? Is there a seperation of group queue and solo queue so you can play at an even level if your team isn't on/don't have a team? Are they showing individual rating yet, or still just your relative position in the ranking?

Some big changes to balance were made some time ago (trying to "increase the possible builds for each class"), nowadays the more used class in spvp is necro, but i dont feel like anything is broken. I play spvp everyday with balanced builds (never a bunker o a buster, because I dont like them) and I dont feel useless at all.

The separation of group queue and solo queue is scheduled to next tuesday (funny you asked, we did know just yesterday). Look in the upcoming changes if its what you want, because maybe I missunderstood you.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 31, 2013, 06:48:31 am »

I try to get into it every now and again but I just find combat too slow. There just aren't enough abilities to use in combat. Of course, the only class I have above level 15 or so is a necromancer (who also has terrible issues regarding pet balance and pet control). I've tried leveling both a rogue (which seem more resource based) and an engineer (still cooldown based but their grenades, for example, cycle quickly) just to experience other classes but the grind gets to me within a level or two and I stop and go do something else.

It's ironic, in a traditional MMO like SWTOR or WoW, in leveling I generally only use about four abilities anyway. But because I'm limited by resources instead of cooldowns, it feels more active (plus I actually do have a variety of non-spammable keys - cooldowns, interrupts, CC, etc). Even in boss fights where managing your resource becomes a kind of "delayed cooldown," I still have a lot more options to choose from than in GW2. As a necromancer, my highest DPS appears to be dual daggers and one, maybe two wells, and if I touch anything else I've chosen poorly. Auto attack should never, ever be a player's best decision for damage, it should only be supplementary. (Commentary void when options exist to benefit from staff's AE effects).

I may have complained about this before, possibly in this very thread, but no one's every bothered to discuss it.

I have a lv80 triple kit engineer using a rifle, healing turret, elixir gun, tool kit, and bomb kit. There are so many combos and rotations possible with this that I'm never left autoattacking unless i decide to be lazy. It's a very active build and I always have something to use.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 01, 2013, 06:51:23 am »

It was about the time I wrote an AutoHotKey script as a win-button for my Warrior that I decided this game wasn't for me.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 01, 2013, 06:55:19 am »

It was about the time I wrote an AutoHotKey script as a win-button for my Warrior that I decided this game wasn't for me.

That only works if the target player is bad. I've seen so many burst warriors that I'm ready for them when they try anything. The only ones that still get me are the ones that blindside me during large wvw fights, which are not something to gauge balance by.

On another note, if anyone still plays and wants to group up at some point, just send an ingame mail to Vaan Ish and I'll add you.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 02, 2013, 09:43:03 am »

I still play. I'm very new to the game - highest character is level 4. I'm Reudh.2549 (I THINK), and my main is 'Mangespur', a Charr Ranger. I'm on Embry  Bay.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 02, 2013, 09:52:57 am »

If you ever want another shot at it, try a mesmer. You'll have a lot more fun.

I recently picked this up again, my glorious Max Disarcade, a Charr Engineer, is currently burning through Ascalon. And he's modelled after my own cat, so it's extra awesome.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 02, 2013, 09:55:24 am »

Do we still have a guild other then Kittens, Socks and Magma?

Well, [KSM] on Ehmry Bay is pretty defunct last few times I logged.  I still have invite people and do management powers in it if I remember right.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 03, 2013, 05:18:55 am »

Added Reudh and CognitiveDissonance to my friends list so I can spot you guys next time you're on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 03, 2013, 11:14:07 am »

I'll attempt to remember to throw my .xxxx up when I get back home in a week to a computer that can actually run GW2.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 03, 2013, 11:21:24 am »

I'll attempt to remember to throw my .xxxx up when I get back home in a week to a computer that can actually run GW2.

Weirdly, that doesn't always work. Reudh's .xxxx code didn't work, you're better off giving the name of any of your characters as that always works. Sometimes mine works, sometimes it doesn't.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 03, 2013, 11:42:35 am »

Mangespur is the one I play most, and Damin Acemourn (as a homage to an old adventurer i had in 34.01).

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 03, 2013, 03:07:50 pm »

I play Illanta the most. But I'm off GW2 for a while. I play sporadically.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 03, 2013, 05:42:26 pm »

I mostly play Ramtak, I've been on hiatus from GW2 for a couple weeks, if you see me on feel free to send me a message and I'll try to join ya.

I'm a officer of [FIRE] though which is one of the main Dragonbrand WvW guilds, so Fridays during WvW reset is out. All other times I should be able to join folks though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 23, 2013, 03:57:50 am »

Scarlet Briar has to be my favorite character in the game yet.
Genius + Crazy = limitless potential for !!FUN!!
I just hope they don't have us kill her. ... yet.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 86