Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 187997 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #855 on: October 09, 2012, 07:20:48 pm »

I would like to get into the larger/active guild but from what I can tell the officers either don't exist, are lazy, or don't play the game, so I've not gotten an invite ever.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 10, 2012, 02:27:16 am »

I'd make yer guys a guild but I'll be playing on EU server Far Shiverpeaks so I'm not sure if I'd be able to contact any of you guys seeing as it seems B12 is mostly NA.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 10, 2012, 08:42:45 am »

Looks like my RL crew is on Kaineng, so that's where I'll be primarily. Is it like WoW, where you could have multiple characters on multiple servers?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 10, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

Not afaik, from what I've heard you can visit other worlds though. But don't take my word on it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 10, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »

As far as I'm aware the guesting system isn't working yet so you are stuck with the world you choose at the moment.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »

Honestly though, solo play is what you tend to do for >90% of the time. Waiting around for someone else to finish a heart area you've already completed is a slow way to level. A decently built and geared character can solo the champions for skill points too. Dungeons is where parties are really needed, not much else. Unless you're planning on WvWvW, in which case you don't need a party, you need a zerg.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 11, 2012, 03:54:30 am »

Alright to those it may interest my account name is Jelle.2807. No idea how cross server communication works so yeah... I'm on far shiverpeaks if one of you is on there as well.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24:45 am »

Created a Sylvari Mesmer and a Human Guardian so far. Dang, this game is pretty. And the UI is very unobtrusive...a little too unobtrusive in some ways.

Combat is.....yeah. I have no fucking clue what I'm doing. Mashing buttons, cool effects happen and things eventually die (and sometimes me).
I like the "Fight to the Death!" mechanic, similar to Borderlands.

Not sure if I like the "no mana, just cooldown timers" thing or not.

It's definitely different.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52:47 am »

Honestly though, solo play is what you tend to do for >90% of the time. Waiting around for someone else to finish a heart area you've already completed is a slow way to level. A decently built and geared character can solo the champions for skill points too. Dungeons is where parties are really needed, not much else. Unless you're planning on WvWvW, in which case you don't need a party, you need a zerg.

Yeah, this is something I'm starting to dislike about the game. Grouping seems very.... counter-productive.

I played with 2 RL friends for a while and heart quests were just silly. We were basically just solo'ing in the same general area, if we tried to help each other out everything died so fast it was honestly just not fun. The dynamic events scale to number of people, so they can be solo'd too (most of the time), and anyway when they pop up a zerg of people tends to show up so again, your group is irrelevant.

Personal quest... solo'able, I don't know if it scales or not if you add more. Either way, there's lots of reports of it bugging out and not advancing if you do them in groups so I avoid it.

Dungeons don't even show up till level 30, and you only get a new one every 10 levels..... hard to justify doing the same dungeon over and over just so you can do something in a group especially since you can't really use the reward tokens till 80 and because the anti-farming penalty is insane - first run: 60 tokens. Second run: 20 tokens. Third run: I didn't bother, but IIRC it's like 5 or something.

Small PvP, I guess you can make a group for, though I don't do it very often I don't know what it's like. WvW is, as mentioned above, just a huge zergfest so while you can group... once again you're at the whim of the zerg.

I know the trend in MMOs is to make them grindy single player games where you group up with people every now and then to show off what you got from the cash shop grinding your life away but it's kind of disappointing just how bad it is in GW2. At least in your average MMO normal monsters have enough life that grouping up to kill them at least makes it go faster so while it might not be the most efficient method, it at least does not feel like a total waste.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:30 pm »

It honestly puts me off a little. I'm used to games where if you're not doing something, you're being a baddy. Having all your abilities on cooldown and nothing left to push has made me start looking for other ways to put out damage - weird ways, like the necromancer trait that drops a mark of blood whenever you dodge.

Part of it is I'm just coming at it the wrong way. With everything except dungeons (and ranked PvP? Not sure how that works) being basically a zerg fest, there's less of a need to 'pull your own weight' as happens in other MMOs that I've played. It is also why, I think, there are some vast differences in the damage output of some weapons. I have a lot of buttons to push with a necro staff, but when they're on cooldown, my autoattack damage is pitiful - probably half to a third that of a dagger mainhand's autoattack, even accounting for the ability to hit multiple targets. Likewise while in deathshroud, though the huge drop in damage could be accounted by the 'emergency health' nature of death shroud.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »

So we have a guild or something?
If so, what server?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 13, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »

It honestly puts me off a little. I'm used to games where if you're not doing something, you're being a baddy. Having all your abilities on cooldown and nothing left to push has made me start looking for other ways to put out damage - weird ways, like the necromancer trait that drops a mark of blood whenever you dodge.

Huh? All cooldown timers forces an "if you're not doing something, you're being a baddy" playstyle. Standing around is always the wrong decision because you don't conserve or regenerate any mana/energy in doing so.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 13, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »

So we have a guild or something?
If so, what server?

Technically, we have two guilds. Technically.

Kitten Socks and Magma [KSM] is on Ehmry Bay, but it's rather inactive as the few people that are on at any given time are representing other guilds. Someone managed to raid the guild bank, and nothing's been done about it.

Dwarf Fortress Community [DFC] is the other guild, but I've yet to hear of anyone being invited to it, and its members rarely talk about it.

But really, server choice shouldn't matter unless you want to do WvW with that guild.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 13, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »

Huh? All cooldown timers forces an "if you're not doing something, you're being a baddy" playstyle. Standing around is always the wrong decision because you don't conserve or regenerate any mana/energy in doing so.

If everything's on cooldown, you can't do anything. This promotes a feeling - a wrong feeling, to be sure, one learned in other resource-based games and that does not apply on GW2 - of wasting time when you should be taking an action. (Moving may or may not count; generally not because it may cost you a more effective action.) You blow all your skills and then you twiddle your thumbs while you wait for your skills to recharge. In a resource-based game, your resources generally last as long as the fight - if they don't, either you or your group were playing poorly, not using resources efficiently, or there's some further preparation (gearing) to do - so you're always taking some action.

If I had enough skills that something ways always ready to be used, that feeling might go away. But in my experience so far, it is not the case. My dagger necro comes kind of close because his auto attack damage vastly outpaces most of his skills (the other weapon skills for dagger and offhand options seem more focused on some utility than mixed damage/utility from staff skills; they do deal damage, just lowly amount), but actually makes it worse because - unless you need that utility - pushing those buttons is the wrong action.

I haven't tried many of the other classes. My rogue is a little more spammy with skills, with initiative and various ways to improve its regeneration, but there still ends up being dead moments. Because the game is meant to be played differently than I expect.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:02:56 pm by Niveras »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:20 pm »

Have you tried weapon swapping when all your cooldowns are blown? I think that's one of the main reasons it's there.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 86