Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188035 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #720 on: September 08, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »

Also, is it possible to block invites from a certain guild? This one guild sends me an invite at least three times a day and it's super annoying.

Tell them to stop and be sure that the guild leader knows. If it continues it's called harassment and can be reported.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 08, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »

How do I tell them? I don't think it's telling me who's sending it. And I don't know how to find information about the guild

edit: I found their info, I'm trying to tell their highest ranking member.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:53:37 pm by penguinofhonor »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 08, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »

I think the best strategies as a thief in WvW are stealthing your allies and poisoning the enemies. You sneak around in combat and dispense utility rather than outright damage. If you want damage and outright fighting power, be a warrior/elementalist/ranger.

Also, is it possible to block invites from a certain guild? This one guild sends me an invite at least three times a day and it's super annoying.
If in a small skirmish, dual daggers, Caltrops and mashing the 3 (Death Blossom) is an amazing way to do lots of unmitigated bleed damage. On the other hand, a shortbow with lots of condition damage, and a Dagger Storm with Signet of Malice allows you to wade into 40 people dispensing bleeds everywhere, walking out relatively unscathed afterwards.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 08, 2012, 04:59:02 pm »

One thing I really do like about being a thief in PvP is how trollish the thief's downed skills are. Half of them are related to weaseling away when someone is about to finish you.
Soaplent green is goblins!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 08, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »

My low level charr thief is setup with D/D (still unsure for secondary weapon, but the blind offered by S/P or P/P to act as support would be handy if I couldn't get into melee range).

The burst damage is amazing in PvE. Death Blossom (bleed: 3), Death Blossom (bleed: 6), auto-attack while waiting target HP to drop to 33%, Heartseeker. Haven't done PvP in this though but I imagine survivability would be low.

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 08, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »

Survivability is actually quite high in PvP, but I don't user Heartseeker at all. The main reason you're able to keep kicking around is the fact that Death Blossom acts as a dodge as well, meaning half of their abilities in an initial burst won't hit you, as well as the fact you should be regularly dodging a lot anyway.

If you get immobilized, stunned or dazed, then it's really bad, though.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 08, 2012, 06:47:56 pm »

Thanks for the tips Astral.

So the build is greatly dependent on bleeding effect. Do you prefer condition damage or condition duration for equip and traits? Also can bleeding status be removed?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 08, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »

In PvE, I find the shortbow to be my favorite thief ranged weapon (and favorite weapon set in general, though I do like D/D as well).  Cluster bomb is very useful in many situations (the splitting seems counterproductive at first, but the trick is to split it right on top of an enemy), and the basic attack's 2 bounces means you can actually kill two enemies faster than you can kill one.
Soaplent green is goblins!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 08, 2012, 08:14:30 pm »

Just got my sylvari guardian to level 11.

Also I'm looking for a guild, if anyone has recommendations. Preferably a super chill guild.

edit: the ignore button doesn't decline the guild invites? what the hell, I wasn't getting spammed after all
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:19:29 pm by penguinofhonor »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 08, 2012, 09:03:36 pm »

Thanks for the tips Astral.

So the build is greatly dependent on bleeding effect. Do you prefer condition damage or condition duration for equip and traits? Also can bleeding status be removed?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYEQNAoYVlcmCNXeS7E+5ECXBL07BZ9VoV3jrSrsKA;TsAKfM+I8x6jzHpPrKGVcq4VxsCA

This is a rough estimate of the build I'm currently using at level 80, with minor variations in the 10/20/30 Traits depending on if I'm doing PvE, PvP, or WvW.

Bleeding stacks can be removed, but only by certain abilities, and I believe it counts as a single condition per bleed. Thief skills like Hide in Shadows removes all damage over time conditions, and I'm sure that other classes have them, but they appear to be limited to a select few Healing slot skills, Elite skills, and trait lines.

The trait build gives a great amount of Condition Damage and the Steal duration reduction with Trickery, which brings the cooldown to about 30 seconds and is great for certain enemies, since it allows you to move even while immobilized, enabling you to keep up with those pesky ranged classes. Acrobatics gives you more dodging proficiency as well as covering for the general lack of survivability by granting a good chunk of health, and enabling you to capitalize more on Caltrops dropping when you dodge. The real key points of that trait line is Assassin's Reward, which gives health per initiative spent, 10% increased damage when Endurance is not full, and Might and Swiftness every time you dodge. Finallly, I throw 10 points into Shadow Arts for that little additional bit of survivability via the stealth below this much health mechanic.

Sigil of Earth in both weapons with a mediocre crit chance means that I do get occasional bleeds from doing nothing more than attacking people, and with the huge number of hits going out it does add up quite a bit.

Superior Rune of the Krait gives a sizable Condition Damage increase, as well as 15% added to all Bleed duration. I'm toying with a build that has Deadly Arts to capitalize on the +%Condition Duration, but I've found that with Trickery for the Condition Damage/Steal cooldown reduction, and the survivability from Acrobatics does well for outlasting your opponent, which is essentially what the build is all about. Besides, I regularly cap out on the maximum 25 bleeds on a target on my own, so I see little to no reason to get much more than the rune set.

All of my level 80 gear has Condition Damage, Vitality and Healing on it, which makes each hit I make from Signet of Malice give back 120 health out of my current 20,000 total. It doesn't sound like much, but when you're hitting lots of people at the same time (and hitting insanely fast compared to other classes), the healing adds up by a ton. I run into literally 40 people in WvW, and barring them all focusing me with high damage abilities (unlikely to happen in most disorganized zergs) I can hit Dagger Storm, which procs 120 health ticks each hit and each bounce and walk out with no damage done to me, and lots of angry people attempting to chase me back into my portal.

Similarly, a shortbow with Sigil of Earth gives a bunch of health, because if you hit a poison cloud in a group of ten people, you get ten ticks of healing per application of poison, and I believe that the poison cloud applies 3-4 rounds of poison. Same thing for the explosive arrow, which if split gives 3x healing per target hit. In WvW zergs, all this can add up to giving amazing amounts of healing while on defense. As EveryZig said, if you split the arrow right above an enemy, the damage itself isn't that great but it applies 3 bleeds which do well with this condition damage build, as well as 3 chances to crit and apply the 5 second Earth sigil bleed. Another thing of note is that if you throw down a poison cloud, then an unexploded cluster arrow in it, you can give enemies Weakness, which makes half of attacks that aren't crits do 50% reduced damage, as well as cut their Endurance regeneration by half for the duration.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:12:45 pm by Astral »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 08, 2012, 09:32:37 pm »

Also I'm looking for a guild, if anyone has recommendations. Preferably a super chill guild.

edit: the ignore button doesn't decline the guild invites? what the hell, I wasn't getting spammed after all
Well... there is Kittens Socks and Magma[KSM]... we would need your name.#### though.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's gold there. My utility skills are all signets now but you brought up good points. I will definitely give your build a shot.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »

I didn't put too much explanation into the utility skills though.

Caltrops (the skill) gives 2x bleed ticks every second someone stands in them, as well as the slow. Additionally, every time it applies bleeds it triggers that ever loving Signet of Malice.

The dodge ones given by the Trickery trait line are in a much smaller AoE, and only give one bleed tick, but even then it adds up if you can position them well.

Scorpion Wire works as an interrupt, and it gives me no greater joy in WvW to pull someone off their walls because they got cocky. Decent for positioning in boss fights, assuming you can drag them. With the Trickery trait that gives 20% cooldown reduction on Tricks, Caltrops and Scorpion Wire both have a 24 second cooldown instead of a 30 second one, and they go well together. Drop Caltrops, drag someone into them, and go to town.

The only thing I really swap out is Spider Poison, because it can give a bit of additional poison damage if the occasion calls for it, but there are some better utilities out there. For instance, in WvW I'll usually swap it for Signet of Shadows for the flat movement speed increase. Traps like Trip Wire works well for Scorpion Wire too, since you drag an enemy to Caltrops and the set trap as they try to run away, usually dodge into it causing them to get knocked down/immobilized for an additional 3 seconds as the Caltrops bleeds and slow start to stack.. I haven't played much with the other Thief skills, since most of them don't appear to be effective in general, rather being good only in specific situations.

As for Elite skills, if you plan on taking large groups then there's no question that Dagger Storm is king, with a 90 second cooldown that keeps on kicking. For smaller fights or 1v1s, then Thieves Guild is pretty good, since the mobs you summon will Scorpion Wire and poison enemies for you, as well as doing a respectable amount of damage.

I suppose the main thing is to just play the build according to what you're going up against. No build is good against everything, and this one is no different.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 08, 2012, 11:02:40 pm »

Well... there is Kittens Socks and Magma[KSM]... we would need your name.#### though.

penguinpaladin.2976

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 08, 2012, 11:28:38 pm »

GimmeCat.2410, please and thanks! :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 86