Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188086 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: It's OUT, finally - Praise Kormir! (or not)
« Reply #555 on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:42 pm »

With the mentions of account hacking and seeing as I actually had my Blizz Account hacked (though that wasn't while I had a WoW sub or sc2, so it didnt do anything), I am so happy I put my memorization skills to use and made new passwords for all my stuff that was important that an insanely paranoid person would be proud of.

The people who got hacked probably had keyloggers on their computers already, and/or used the exact same password for everything and in the past, had been hacked. As long as you use a different password for everything and don't download random crap from suspicious links (or put your password into sites like www.guildwars2.com.hax) you should be fairly safe.

I don't know of anyone who has actually had their account hacked yet, because they would also need to have hacked your email to complete the password change. It's worrying but not something to be upset about at this point.

There have been some. The thing is, they don't need to change your password at all. They just log in, vendor all your stuff, mail all the money to someone else, then use it to spam gold seller websites till it gets banned. On top of that, many (probably most) people are lazy and use the same password for everything, so if they get the game password they have your mail password... or if it's a keylogger then they can get both the same way.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:53:12 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:57 pm »

on an unrelated note..

The game is fun, but I'm having a hard time getting into it. The personal story is interesting and well done (I love how it incorporates the choices you pick at char gen making it actually feel personal) but the rest of the game.... not so much.

I know the game has backstory (since I read some of it on the wiki) but it's not really presented ingame very well at all. I just bounce around from heart to heart randomly doing things for seemingly no reason. One minute I'm killing frog people, the next I'm helping them out. Why? I don't really know. Then I'm interrogating captured rat people and putting down a rat people prisoner rebellion, next zone over... I'm saving the king of the rat people from a fire monster.

I'm sure there's a reason for it all, but the game never really tells you. I know you can talk to the heart people and get a little snip of story, but the problem is I'll often finish the quests before I even get to them and even when I don't.... it's usually very very minimal and hardly explains anything.

I know sidequests and such are mostly pointless filler in other games too, but at least I get the feeling of 'ok, this zone is under attack by the bandit king, I have to help these people so they can make me a bomb so I can blow up his cave' or whatever. In GW2 I just feel like I'm doing these things as pointless busywork to level up enough to do my personal quest.

Also: giant fire monster boss in the noob zone that one-shots you with about 1/4th a second warning to dodge (and often nowhere to dodge anyway because there's fire everywhere)? not cool anet.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »

Im in, on Emhry Bay.

Facekillz.7148, can you guys add me to the guild?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 29, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »

With the mentions of account hacking and seeing as I actually had my Blizz Account hacked (though that wasn't while I had a WoW sub or sc2, so it didnt do anything), I am so happy I put my memorization skills to use and made new passwords for all my stuff that was important that an insanely paranoid person would be proud of.

The people who got hacked probably had keyloggers on their computers already, and/or used the exact same password for everything and in the past, had been hacked. As long as you use a different password for everything and don't download random crap from suspicious links (or put your password into sites like www.guildwars2.com.hax) you should be fairly safe.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/20575-guild-wars-2-hacking-attempts-already-in-full-swing-suspicious-password-resets-going-out/

While it's probable that a sizable portion of GW2 players have some kind of spyware infection, the great number of complaints suggest something else is at work.  This thread from guildwars2guru.com was posted yesterday and has grown at a notable rate.  In the meantime, ArenaNet shut down their password recovery form, and their Twitter page has become a sea of variations on the theme, "We have received your support ticket and are looking into the matter."   It seems people's accounts are getting decoupled from their email address by an unknown party.

If your password is weak (9 or less single-case characters) and identical to other passwords you have, you might consider changing them, just in case.  Weak passwords are getting very easy to break:

A PC running a single AMD Radeon HD7970 GPU, for instance, can try on average an astounding 8.2 billion password combinations each second, depending on the algorithm used to scramble them. Only a decade ago, such speeds were possible only when using pricey supercomputers.

Though if some of the stuff I've read is true (nonfunctional email authentication/verification? no captcha for bots??), then I have to wonder what ArenaNet was thinking.  I just hope this all resolves soon, since the game itself sounds pretty intriguing and a breath of fresh air for the genre, aside from the whole account theft thing.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 29, 2012, 04:03:25 pm »

"Announcements:

The Guild Wars 2 reset password feature is currently unavailable."

Also, if it is a keylogger or spybot then it is likely brand new and masterfully coded because after running 4 different spyware, malware, virus searches I came up clean. Not to mention I am running behind a barracuda firewall and a software wall as well. I think it's most likely due to the fact that it uses an email address as a login(wtf?!) which is quite public and my password was only 10chars. Clearly I was to blame for not using a 26char password, but there are some inherent security flaws. I changed my account name by creating a new email address that will so no use beyond the game and incorporates a randomly created name and password. Silly that I even had to do that.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 29, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »

I'm sure there's a reason for it all, but the game never really tells you.
I've found that talking to scouts gets you a bit more of the story and helps tie things together, plus it gives you more of a path through zones instead of just bouncing around. I got a bit bored with my Asura around level 15 and couldn't find the last heart in the starting zone so I started talking to scouts again and realized I'd been missing a bit of explanation and setting. It's not a lot more, but it helps.

Also: giant fire monster boss in the noob zone that one-shots you with about 1/4th a second warning to dodge (and often nowhere to dodge anyway because there's fire everywhere)? not cool anet.
The fire elemental is bullshit. I would almost never say that about a challenge in a game (heck, bring on Dark/Demon Souls or whatever you want to throw at me, I can handle difficult when it comes down to it), but it's true about that boss. I can't even tell where all the fire comes from. Should we be focusing on killing the flying things it summons really quickly? Or can we just have them focus on someone and have them go run in circles for a while? There's a stun/knockdown that lasts a good 4 or 5 seconds and lava pools that get summoned constantly, so there's a very good chance you're going to get knocked down by one of the fireballs that have an ~1/2 second window to dodge and then have lava spawn on top of you, which downs you before you can get up. And then more lava spawns on you which kills you while you're downed. And then the flying things chase the rest of the people out of the room, where they trap you at the bottleneck with constant knockdowns and pools of lava. Oh and let's not forget the random little fire trails the boss itself shoots out along the ground. They're not hard to dodge on their own, but oh, what's that? You're surrounded by lava and flying things? Too bad.

The rewards were decent, but not worth the 2 silver (about 10-15% of the money I had at the time) I spent on repairs and the time I spent running back over and over. Also, it doesn't help that the closes waypoint can be besieged by random events which prevents you from using it to respawn.

Blarg.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:51 pm »

A few days into launch and my account was already hacked and I lost everything ive worked for.

if only support would answer faster D:

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 29, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »

A few days into launch and my account was already hacked and I lost everything ive worked for.

Sorry to hear that. I have some coin I can give you to offset the loss and get you back on your feet if it helps. (assuming you are on Ehmbry)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 29, 2012, 07:50:29 pm »

Sorry to hear that. I have some coin I can give you to offset the loss and get you back on your feet if it helps. (assuming you are on Ehmbry)

No no, i cant take that :P
But thanks.

I should be getting a rollback from support eventually though.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:52 pm »

Keep your eyes peeled. My original gmail account that I used for GW2 previously has had multiple attempts at access in the last few hours. It may be unrelated as I have been a target before, but I wanted to warn others to keep an eye on it.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:02 pm »

I'm sick of gold sellers stealing accounts and using them to spam everyone. No one I know personally has been hacked yet, but I'm concerned about it ... I'll be using an authenticator as soon as one is available.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 29, 2012, 09:07:40 pm »

As far as I know, Skyrim was made for consoles that were released, what ~7 years ago? Guild Wars 2 was designed to run on something a little more modern.

Did you enable subsampling? I don't really know what to tell you other than you should consider an upgrade soon.

Yeah, I'll probably be needing an upgrade pretty soon. It's a shame I'm an illiterate when it comes to computers! I understand that I might not be able to run GW2 at Max, but being able to only run at Low and with 25ish FPS is a little strange. I'm able to run Diablo III, TERA, and SWTOR at nearly max if not max settings. Peculiar...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 30, 2012, 02:11:30 am »

So, just got booted for invalid password... probably maintenance and they did close off password change...  anyone else here have the same problem?  Or should I be worried?  (Appears it has happened to a number of others, but yea...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 30, 2012, 02:14:35 am »

When I got booted off just now it pretty unambiguously told me that it couldn't reach the login server, and they should be doing maintenance right now. I'd check over on the guild wars 2 webpage and see if anyone logged in from somewhere they shouldn't of Zangi.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 30, 2012, 02:21:13 am »

Nah, that doesn't work either, seen posts with the same problem too.

EDIT: Alright, seems fine now...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:46:39 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 86