Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188163 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: "sentient vegetable engineers with flamethrowers"
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »

My experience was complete lag and 3 FPS when I tried WvWvW on high/medium settings.  :-\
With about 75-100 people of course, 50 people is 10 >.>

But even at 3 FPS you are perfectly capable of firing a bow or rifle (click on somebody nearby, shoot) fire a ballista (click someplace in the mob, fire til they move out of range or die, repeat) or arrowcart (see big group of people, shoot big group of people) or cannon(find poor downed sap, shoot poor downed sap so that folks can't rez them without downing themselves),  Hell with a little practice and timing, you can even still effectively fire a catapult or trebuchet.  It's not like you actually have to aim with 90% of the ranged weapons.

And even failing all of that, on the defensive you could still do supply runs or fix walls.  Hell for BWE 2 I got more xp fixing walls in the the west side borderlands keep than I got killing folks fighting.  I must have went from level 38 to 43 in 2 hours.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:37:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:52 am »

FYI, for people needing new graphics cards, Newegg is selling Geforce GTX 660 TI for $300, +free coupon for Borderlands 2 (worth ~$50).

It's a strong card that'll last for a while.

I know it won't be available to everyone since this is a pretty multinational forum, but I'm sure there are a few NA folks who might benefit.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2012, 07:17:32 am »

I just have a 9600gt, and that runs it reasonably with my q6600...

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:23 am »

My experience was complete lag and 3 FPS when I tried WvWvW on high/medium settings.  :-\
With about 75-100 people of course, 50 people is 10 >.>

But even at 3 FPS you are perfectly capable of firing a bow or rifle (click on somebody nearby, shoot) fire a ballista (click someplace in the mob, fire til they move out of range or die, repeat) or arrowcart (see big group of people, shoot big group of people) or cannon(find poor downed sap, shoot poor downed sap so that folks can't rez them without downing themselves),  Hell with a little practice and timing, you can even still effectively fire a catapult or trebuchet.  It's not like you actually have to aim with 90% of the ranged weapons.

And even failing all of that, on the defensive you could still do supply runs or fix walls.  Hell for BWE 2 I got more xp fixing walls in the the west side borderlands keep than I got killing folks fighting.  I must have went from level 38 to 43 in 2 hours.
Are you sure about that?  :o

Might of had lower FPS, but I just remember nearly falling off the walls when i tried to move.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2012, 11:15:16 am »

Could we maybe make some sort of list of who's going to play on EU servers and who's going to play in the US ? I still haven't chosen my server (i'm in EU) and i'd like to make an informed choice on the 25th.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:37 am »

Could we maybe make some sort of list of who's going to play on EU servers and who's going to play in the US ? I still haven't chosen my server (i'm in EU) and i'd like to make an informed choice on the 25th.

Sure. I'll pose the question and update this list when people answer. I do know that there where a lot of people planning on a US server being the home server, but it is still worth a check. So where is everyone headed?

Last Updated: Aug. 19th, 14:35 GMT
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:37:58 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:26 am »

Isle of Janthir for me.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 17, 2012, 11:52:08 am »

I'll try to be in Ruins of Surmia, EU. Add me to the list Fool  :P

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2012, 12:05:58 pm »

I've changed the US choice to undecided, so list where you want to go and I'll tally the votes as we go. The winner will be the official server of Bay 12.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 17, 2012, 01:39:37 pm »

Isle of Janthir for me.
What's at Janthir? It seems it would be difficult going into W3 on a higher population server?

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2012, 01:52:59 pm »

EU, idk where I'm going yet though.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »

Isle of Janthir for me.
What's at Janthir? It seems it would be difficult going into W3 on a higher population server?

I actually have to second this. Picking a high population server off the bat is not necessarily a good idea. If the server is full there might be a wait time to enter the server, which might be long at release considering that it'll be a zerg rush to get in Saturday morning.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »

I'm gonna be on Isle of Janthir as well. That's just because I've got RL friends who I'll be playing with.

Wait times shouldn't be too much of an issue because of overflow servers. I mean, we may or may not be able to meet up on the overflow servers (I don't remember how they work) but you'll at least be able to play.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:48 pm »

US- Jade Quarry for me

Are you sure about that?  :o

Might of had lower FPS, but I just remember nearly falling off the walls when i tried to move.
I wasn't having too much trouble doing that, and the game sometimes turned into a slideshow in big contested places like stonemist and I still got bags of loot appearing around me from my ballista(god, I love that weapon).  But I admit I don't know what my actual FPS was so it could have been as high as 10.

But if you were having trouble even moving without overshooting... yea your FPS was probably lower than I experienced.  I had to be careful by edges, not moving directly towards one, but not like it sounds like you had.   From what I vaguely recall some people saying in /map a couple stress tests ago some settings can increase performance being on instead of off, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:34:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 17, 2012, 04:51:57 pm »

I'll be on whatever US server the rest of B12 is on.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 86