Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 187949 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #945 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:47 am »

I think most people that were active did join bigger guilds, cause nobody on.  At least in [KSM].

I might still have sub-boss powers in it, don't remember who the guild leader is.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 17, 2013, 07:56:34 pm »

So if you read the happy thread you might know I recently fell into a nice little lump of Sin Money, and I'm thinking about getting Guild Wars 2.  What server does everybody play on?  What race?  I'd probably be a Charr of some sort if I played.

Also general thoughts?  Is it good?  Does anybody still play?
Shoes...

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 17, 2013, 08:30:15 pm »

It was pretty good for the story, definitely need a group of friends to go much further I think, I got bored when I hit 80..

Might play more in the summer, when I don't have so much uni work

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 17, 2013, 10:15:39 pm »

I play this from time to time, gonna try and devote a good chunk of time to playing it this summer, so far its been quite enjoyable since the story is quite good and WvW stuff is great way to kill all your free time :P

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 18, 2013, 02:28:21 am »

Exploring the world and the event system still good as ever. They added some endgame gear grind for those who like that sort of thing, check out fractals. spvp is still atrociously unready for sustaining a competitive community.

Definatly a good buy but I wouldn't rush to max level and hope for lots of endgame content to keep you busy. It's best played at a steady pace exploring the world and really taking in the scenic surounding. Definatly don't buy it if you want an e-sport, spvp is more of a side attraction as it is and the devs work to slow to ever get it on track.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 18, 2013, 04:14:45 am »

Also since this thread is back from the dead I think I'll grab this oppertunity to show you guys something you might be interested in. :)
Not trying to derail the thread of course, I hope this isn't a misplaced topic.

I've been working on a graphics mod for this game I think is more or less finished. I aimed to give the game some lighter more natural colors, make it look a little less cartoony. Hope you like it.

Here's some pics.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you've an opinion do give me some feedback, I'm still fine tuning some stuff. Or if you want it let me know and I'll see if I can put it for download somewhere.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 18, 2013, 09:15:51 am »

That looks really nice. The snow looks a little too glarey, but otherwise the new look is pretty sweet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 18, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »

I dunno, it looks kind of washed out to me
Shoes...

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 18, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »

I think this thread's dates on the recent post history is a pretty good example of gw2. People get into it, play like crazy for awhile... And then stop. It just doesn't have the staying power to keep people interested in my opinion, save for the few people that go hardcore and grind the endgame. Personally, I thought they did some really interesting stuff with the class and skill system, and while it has depth... It's simply not the right type of gameplay I'm looking for in an MMO, and the game simply isn't interesting unless you've got people playing with you that you want to play with. Some MMOs can keep the core gameplay interesting enough that you'll inevitably make friends while exploring it's depth, GW2 did not do so for me and I don't think it did for a lot of other people. All the groups I was interested in are dead, sadly.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 18, 2013, 02:25:18 pm »

Considering it, GW2 is hell on my backlog of games... heh.  That is if I don't get stuck with re-playing some other old game.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »

Dunno, I've still been playing, just not posting here. And I'm in a big ass guild full of crazy active people, so there's always something going on. I'm enjoying playing more than I have in months.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 18, 2013, 06:06:43 pm »

I decided to get it on impulse.  Still downloading.  In GW1 I was a Necromancer/Mesmer.  I guess they don't have dual class in this one?  Still probably gonna pick one of the two, any insights?  What weapons should I be looking at for either one?
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 18, 2013, 08:13:35 pm »

My suggestion: Try out ALL the weapons yourself.  No better way to get the feel for what fits your style more.  You'll have plenty of time to get the basics of each one down before you hit Ascalon Catacomb spelunking level, since it don't really matter too much in terms of power for most of the time.  (Except dungeons and some of those story missions...)

Only after that do you ask for more details.  Cause you'll have a better understanding of what people are talking about with those weapons.  Or they can give new ideas you could try out. 
Plus, I'm only knowledgeable with Guardian and that is pretty simple to boot...  I am currently unable to get a 2nd character past 20 due to apathy in putting the time into leveling another character.  But, I'm glad enough spending all that time playing in WvW with my Guardian instead.  (Sub-80s in WvW are noticeably weaker then my semi-geared Guardian...  She was actually top gear before the next color stuff came in.)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 18, 2013, 08:27:04 pm »

Also still playing, but I've never made it past 30 due to rampant altholicism.

GW2 classes generally aren't much like their GW1 equivalents, especially the mesmer. There are three mesmer playstyles I'm familiar with: 1. is to use your clones as a situational crowd control, 2. is to use confusion to make enemies slowly hurt themselves, and 3. is to use phantasms for relatively high DPS. Either way, you'll be squishy, but you'll have a lot of survivability against low damage mobs while downed thanks to your clones. You'll also get a teleport spell that groups enjoy. As much as I play the class, though, it can be frustrating when soloing as your satisfying skills take time to set up, and your clones are too squishy to give you the time you need, so combat devolves to running around in circles while trying to keep the mob off of you. Also, all your attacks are hot pink and sound annoying.

(Edit: I should add that the mesmer takes more technical ability and concentration to play well. It's not a class you should play if you're looking to zone out and button spam.)

I won't speak towards the necromancer as it's the one class I never figured out how to play effectively, but unlike GW1 you're very limited on how many minions you can have at a time (iirc 4 or 5 is the max).

As far as weapons go, each class has unique skills for the weapons they use, so the weapons you choose should be reflective of your playstyle. Almost all of the theorycrafting is in how you allot points to your skill tree.

If you're uncertain, go to the PvP lobby (Heart of the Mists). You'll be level 80 with max skill points and access to all weapons, and you can try out various playstyles versus the class bots in the north part of the region. This'll give you a chance to get a feel for each class and its weapons before you put time into building one in PvE.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:33:15 pm by Leyic »

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »

I haven't tried Mesmer, but I found Necromancer to be pretty fun and close to my preferred playstyle. They have the highest tier of HP pools, a transformation with it's own HP pool, and you can invest in lifesteal traits that will extend those two factors to a pretty impressive amount, while inflicting debuffs and removing enemy buffs at the same time. It makes for a fairly solid utility/DPS setup with the bonus of being one of the least squishy people around despite the cloth armor.

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mcVMzm0MzoMhxooMhxox9MxaoabMRbc
That's the build I ended up with- I found it to be pretty enjoyable. All five skills end up with a lifesteal mechanism aside from their normal effect (including the heal) and even the dagger's lifesteal effect is greatly boosted.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:33:42 pm by Haschel »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 86