Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 187954 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #915 on: November 13, 2012, 02:37:42 am »

I think WoW burned me out on MMO's, I can't play any of them for long, no matter how awesome they are.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 13, 2012, 02:55:46 am »

I dunno whats happened.... I like the game, but I just cant bring myself to play it any more.  I just stare at the character selection screen and give up.  Maybe its because I hate how the gladiator armor looks, maybe its because I'm tired of spamming AC runs, maybe I want it to be more like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, I just don't know.  Anyone else just hit a wall at some point recently?

^ This. I love the game but due to limited free time I am playing World of Tanks instead. One click of a button then WHAM I am in battle and have the chance to carry my team. Probably I am just not into MMORPG anymore, no matter how great or innovative they are.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 13, 2012, 04:47:26 am »

I too no longer play GW :p

Mostly I just don't have the time to commit to it any more, and I'm not in any decent communities on there so...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 13, 2012, 07:02:35 am »

I dunno whats happened.... I like the game, but I just cant bring myself to play it any more.  I just stare at the character selection screen and give up.  Maybe its because I hate how the gladiator armor looks, maybe its because I'm tired of spamming AC runs, maybe I want it to be more like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, I just don't know.  Anyone else just hit a wall at some point recently?

I have, but my problem is mostly that I picked necromancer and engineer as my two "main" characters, and those happen to be the two most underpowered/broken/unfinished classes right now.

However, level 1 - 20 or so is the most boring thing ever, since you don't have very many different skills or enough traits to matter, and I also think heart quests are very boring but it's the only reliable way to level at low levels (unless you want to run in circles desperately searching for public quests or send 100g over and master all the tradeskills for exp) so I can never bring myself to start a new character.

So I usually log in, then either go to the char creation menu and quit halfway through after thinking about the grind, or pick one of my other chars and log off after a half hour after thinking about how much better it would be if I'd picked a class that actually worked right.

At this point, I'm honestly more excited about the 30 pages (or whatever) of class fixes in the cursed shores patches then I am about the new dungeon or world event or whatever the big deal is supposed to be.

Edit: Oh boy, I just read about the new dungeon, they are basically adding content walls that force you to grind gear to progress via a new NPC condition (agony) that you need special gear to mitigate. Sound familiar?

Way to go Anet, it took you two months to take guild wars from a casual friendly low grind (unless you wanted a purely cosmetic legendary) MMO to yet another stupid gear progression grind WoW clone. I'm impressed, but not in a good way.

Oh yeah, speaking of legendaries, they aren't purely cosmetic anymore either - they are going to be upgraded to be better then exotics.

(Yes I know it's possible I'm making a big deal over nothing but it sounds really, really bad to me)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:15:44 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 13, 2012, 07:28:10 am »

Yeah, I stopped playing and I'm considering uninstalling the game to make room on my SSD.

Reasons for my lack of interest:
1. No feeling of community. The game is an MMO but there's little social interaction. If parties were more encouraged and there was a built-in method of voice chat I'd likely have found my play time far more interesting. My previous MMO experience found me leading a guild that was in the top 10 on my server raiding five days a week, and there was great communication because it was supported by voice chat. We'd talk, tease each other, crack jokes, and just generally have a good time.  Guild Wars 2 is complete silence, or my old farming music playlist. Nobody parties together, you just show up when there's a dynamic event and then evaporate away.
2. Focus on PvP. I don't like PvP at all. This is purely personal, but it's the same reason I don't enjoy games like CoD or Halo too. I prefer co-op PvE, not PvP.
3. Little variety. Sure, the grind is well hidden, but after leveling my Thief to 80 and nearly capping my Warrior, I got bored of the same old areas. Find Heart area, kill x critters to fill heart, move to next. The loot is all the same, there's no great  rare items to strive for unless you care about cosmetics. I'm the kind of player that'll wear armor that looks like a frilly pink tutu if it'll give me an extra 10% critical damage. There's no real feeling of accomplishment from gaining something others don't have.
4. Lack of time. I got a 3 year old daughter and a wife due to have another baby in three months, and a full time job besides. I get an hour or two in the evening to relax, I'm probably gonna spend it doing something more fun than GW2. Lately it's been Borderlands 2. I plan on giving X-COM a try soon. Or just watch a movie. I don't feel like grinding another level on a character.

Maybe I'll log in again some time in the future. Or not. But it won't be any time soon.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 13, 2012, 07:30:59 am »

I really enjoyed GW2 with my mesmer and still have no "endgame"-equipment. It's just the fact that I enjoy World of Tanks more at the moment. At least you can always come back to GW2 and don't lose a cent.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26:27 am »

I got kinda burnt out around level 50, it's not that I didn't enjoy it, it just became less fun I guess. I did play through all the Halloween content and enjoy it, so I may just play in events in the future, but there's no subscription so it really doesn't matter.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:40 pm »

I really like this game, but for some reason, some of the heart quests are starting to feel repetitive to me. Anyone else have this same feeling?

Some of the heart quests can be repetitive - although I find talking with the NPCs really makes a difference and distinguishes them.  The Maguuma Forest areas are pretty fun - Sylvari are somber, Asura are cracky, the mix is good. Human areas I'm not so interested in.

I can see GW2 becoming boring in a bit - after I've gotten a few characters up to level 80 and played around with crafting, etc.  On the other hand, good ratio of $/entertainment. And no subscription means that if I want to log in in the future that will be no problem.

Although the gear treadmill is worrying.  If it's just relevant for this new never-ending dungeon they're cooking up, that's one thing, and perfectly reasonable.  If they start making the equipment required for other parts of the game or other areas, BIG FAT NO.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:42 pm »

I might be too late, and if I am, no worries, but I did get a chance to briefly try this game during the beta and was somewhat impressed. I can't promise I"ll have the time to put serious play into it over the free weekend though, but if anyone has an invite to it, and they don't have anyone else more worthy to send it to, I wouldn't mind one to give it a slightly more in depth look. (45 minutes during the beta barely scratched the surface.)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 15, 2012, 12:05:13 am »

I might be too late, and if I am, no worries, but I did get a chance to briefly try this game during the beta and was somewhat impressed. I can't promise I"ll have the time to put serious play into it over the free weekend though, but if anyone has an invite to it, and they don't have anyone else more worthy to send it to, I wouldn't mind one to give it a slightly more in depth look. (45 minutes during the beta barely scratched the surface.)

It looks like Hugehead has one more. Or PM me your email address.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 15, 2012, 08:59:21 am »

I'm still enjoying it, and I'm very much in the early game (highest character is 18).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 27, 2012, 12:34:43 am »

I hate Fractals.

I love the dungeon design. It's a huge step forward, and solves every concern I had about the previous dungeons. They're all dynamic and unique. It's fantastic.

But I despise the glitch that makes it impossible for anyone to enter or re-enter the fractals when someone disconnects. Any temporary disconnect becomes a permanent leave since you can't rejoin, and any leave completely cripples the party because they can't get a replacement.

I have tried to run this dungeon five times. The first four, I had a leaver. And in the fifth one my party decided they just wanted to farm the quickest fractals rather than aiming for a completed run, so they kept restarting. Five times.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 27, 2012, 02:52:25 am »

I enjoy MMO's, but I don't like to play by myself. I've found that playing with friends always makes the game infinitely more enjoyable, regardless of genre.

I played runescape for almost four years because I had some close friends I could quest with. When they vanished, I couldn't play. The game just lost its flavour for me. WoW was the same; I played non-stop for almost three months, my friends vanished, and now I can't play more than two week stints at a time.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 23, 2013, 11:31:58 am »

So, still playing this game. And honestly, it's gotten more awesome.   My main plays very differently at level cap than earlier on (although, early play was mostly CRAP RUN DEAD AGAIN WHYYYY. Peril of leveling an elementalist :) ).  Anyone else excited for guesting?  I know a bunch of people from DF joined on Eredon Terrace, so maybe we can meet up at some point after guesting gets started.
To summarize:

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 23, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

I'll definitely have to play with you guys once that come out.

There's a huge content patch coming out next week or something that I'm really excited for. I've been mostly playing other stuff this month, but that'll probably convince me to come back during February.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 86