Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188061 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Reddit, the MMORPG
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

I picked Sylvari for my thief once I discovered you can have a mushroom for a head. It's fantastic.

I'm now level 9. Thieves definitely don't have as much burst damage as I expected, but I guess that's why they're not called assassins.

Change your weapons to change your role. Different weapons give you different skills, including more of burst damage. On topic, I dislike the Sylvari starting area as I find the over saturated green colors to be disorienting and difficult to navigate. I just used the gates to get out of there as soon as I could.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 01, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »

I know, I've experimented with pretty much every combination I can get my hands on besides the bow.

I think maybe the sword is bursty sort of? I like double daggers since I feel it's the trickiest combination, although maybe dagger/pistol is close.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 01, 2012, 06:03:13 pm »

I dislike having a dagger as my primary weapon on the Thief; I'm not convinced it hits everything in the front arc like the sword does. As such, I play Sword/Dagger and Shortbow, although I'm looking for a replacement for the shortbow; its' nowhere near as powerful as it could be. Ideally it'll be either another, better shortbow, or a pair of sweet pistols.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

Actually, thief shortbow is probably one of the most broken combinations in the game, and the source of many nerfs in the beta.

I don't want to give away all my pvp secrets yet, but stack venoms and +condition damage and immobilises. Don't just sit around pew-pewing without doing anything. Nothing will be able to touch you.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »

It's a very nice set of skills, don't get me wrong, it's just that my shortbow's a blue level 16 weapon, and most of my others are blue/green level 22-25s
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:36 pm »

Shortbow is incredible. I'm almost always roll with one equipped, even if I'm using something else as primary. With the right utilities selected, it makes you ridiculously powerful (and grants you tons of mobility).

That said, I still enjoy using pistols a lot. Every weapon set on my thief has been really enjoyable, to be honest, which is why I play it so much. Being able to completely change the playstyle and feel of the class so dramatically is a strong benefit for me.

Also, thief healers.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 01, 2012, 08:33:09 pm »

I'm a level 100-ish huntsman, I can craft you a bow if you want.

As for my weapon set, engineers get the fewest weapon combinations available, and they can't even swap weapon sets. However they do get a bunch of kits that make up for it, but that means any stats your weapon has doesn't apply to the kit. I'm relying mostly on armor to get condition damage and put precision on my rifle, so that I get more chances to bleed (with level 5 firearms trait) and do damage at long range (with rifled barrels trait). I can unload a whole bunch of skills while swapping between different sets of weapons to unload different skills.

I can snare an enemy and shoot for a bit, then do a jump shot to an enemy, then blunderbuss for extra close range damage, then use overcharged shot to knock them down while pushing me back. Then I can swap to elixer gun, Elixer F them to cripple them, fumigate them when they get close to poison and put vulnerability on them, then do acid bomb to launch myself backwards while switching back to the rifle whose skills should be ready to use again.

Then there's the flamethrower which is really good for groups since it can hit thing sthat are standing beside you too. The only problem I have with the engineer kits is that the primary attacks are not set to auto fire when you equip them, even if you do it yourself it won't save the setting next time you equip it.

EDIT: Haven't done PvP at all and not too interested, this is just something I've figured out with PvE.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:41:33 pm by OzyTheSage »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 02, 2012, 03:13:08 am »

honestly...i'm finding it very fun to use a burn/spirit weapon focused guardian, do a single rotation of skills(except elite) to queue up 10 seconds of burning+damage burst from spirit weapons will usualy cause most enemies to go down, but thats talking about 1 vs 1, which honestly doesn't happen that much, its usualy 1 vs 2+ in wvw
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26:55 am »

How are people using alts for storage space? I just tried mailing something to my alt, and it said "You cannot send to yourself." This is BS; bank space is pathetically small, wtf are we supposed to do? Nm, I'm an idiot. Stuff goes in bank -> Alt takes from bank.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:50:25 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:56 am »

Just finished getting my level 35 Thief through his first dungeon.

Ascalonian Catacombs: Story Mode

Wow, what an amazing experience. seriously tough but doable fights, each requiring teamwork and alertness to complete. The Lovers took us awhile but we finally got there after zerging from the spawn to complete.

Ascalonian Catacombs: Explorer Mode

Incredible. Words cannot express how insane the difficulty on this one was. It took my group 3 hours to take down the first sub-boss. We spent most of that time learning his attacks and how to avoid his pull-spin-death combo. looking forward to completing this one. I'll consider it a really memorable achievement when I do.

Right now I'm using dual pistol/shortbow. I hear you recommending venoms eh? I'll need to try those out.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 02, 2012, 10:23:22 am »

Yeah... I need to get a couple more characters set up as bank alts. I keep forgetting until I go to cook and whoops every inventory ever is full.

Really looking forward to dungeons, too.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 02, 2012, 10:30:49 am »

What are you guys filling your inventory and bank with anyways?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:03 am »

I made the mistake of opening about 5 of those black lion chest things and ended up with about 8 slots of random bonus things. On top of that I average about 5-8 slots of equipment I want to pass between characters or save for transmuting, about 7-8 slots of food (on top of the food my characters are already carrying), and then some cooking intermediates that don't have collectable slots. Really, I'd say avoid cooking until you have way more bag space than you know what to do with it because if you want to discover things without using internet references your inventory will be full of intermediates.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 02, 2012, 02:53:40 pm »

I didn't really pay attention when the game warned me that cooking uses much more Karma and gold than other skills. The upside is that some of the food is pretty awesome!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 02, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »

What armor crafting thing do thieves use? Leatherworking, armoring, or tailoring?

Also I'm liking the sword as a primary weapon on thieves. Sword/Knife is pretty great but I'm going to have to try Sword/Pistol out a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 86