Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188064 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: It's OUT, finally - Praise Kormir! (or not)
« Reply #600 on: August 31, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

I'm loving my Thief so far at level 52 now. Tried playing a Mesmer because they are annoying as all hell in PvP, but I couldn't be assed to get past level 3 for now, and after playing an Avatar Elementalist a few levels as well, they feel extremely weak to start, with little in the form of direct damage. Focusing solely on my Thief occupies most of my GW2 time anyway.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 31, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »

I definitely want to play as a Norn, just don't know what class to go for, Ranger sounds fun, but I've already got a spirit animal from the description so having a pet seems redundant. And thief just seems weird for a 12 foot tall guy.

Probably just go for Ranger.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »

I definitely want to play as a Norn, just don't know what class to go for, Ranger sounds fun, but I've already got a spirit animal from the description so having a pet seems redundant. And thief just seems weird for a 12 foot tall guy.

Probably just go for Ranger.
The Norn spirit animals aren't like the Ranger pets at all, but they're pretty cool. More like temporary distractions/sources of damage.

I have a Norn ranger, and it's a fun race/class. Protip: if you get bored of bows/shortbows, try out swords! They're tons of fun.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

One of the biggest suprises I found, being a Ranger, was the effectiveness of an Axe/Dagger or Axe/Torch setup. The axe "1" skill automatically bounces between enemies, delivering good damage to three targets at once. Couple this with the Sharpened Edges skill, and you can bleed multiple enemies at a time. Triple it with a torch offhand, set a Bonfire on the ground and shoot through it, now you can Burn everyone too. Axe is a brilliant weapon for dealing with crowds.

I've taken to using these, and a Shortbow for single-target focus fire, and am forgoing the Longbow entirely. When it came down to it, I just didn't feel like the Longbow's skills were particularly useful for me; I rely on a Precision and Condition Damage build, and the shortbow's rapid fire rate gives me fantastic damage with frequent criticals.

But those axes, man. Those axes. Never thought I'd give up a bow for a throwing axe, but it's totally worth it.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 31, 2012, 04:57:53 pm »

I'm enjoying necromancers more than I thought I would. I use a staff for all the AoE skills I have, and then I swap out to a scepter/focus or torch combo, dropping skills and bleeding them while waiting for the staff skills to recharge. You can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Condition damage for the win!

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 31, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »

Yeah I didn't think I'd like necros or warriors very much... then they turned into my main two characters. Whoops. My necromancer's going to end up as a Well and Minion focused tanky support/control thing and my warrior is going to be a tiny terrifying whirling dervish of pain.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 31, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »

I'm actively interested in getting GW2, but am concerned about the system requirements, mainly the graphics card. Their knowledgebase specifically mentions that the Intel HD 3000 chipset (which is what I have) will work, but I'd really appreciate it if someone here who is running it with that (or equivalent) can confirm that it is doable, as I've had problems in the past with system requirements underestimating what you need to run a game in a playable state.

No worries about anything else (I've got a machine that exceeds the rest of the minimum requirements).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Reddit, the MMORPG
« Reply #607 on: August 31, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »

Condition/Venom shortbow Thieves are so good. Too good, perhaps. Also, after playing thief I can't have a class that has over 15seconds cooldown on heals/evasion.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:56 pm »

Just got my first gold spam mail. The funny part is, for the price they wanted, I could buy gems and sell them in the exchange and make over twice as much gold with no risk of having my account banned or my CC number stolen.

Makes me wonder if the gold sellers are just stupid, or are clever and counting on stupid people buying from them?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »

They probably don't want to have to maintain the support staff and servers for having a forum that thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people will parrot the same issues over and over (without using a search function) about the trading post and similar known issues until they are fixed. It's easier to simply post on a site that has the infrastructure to support lots of people already, rather than having to deal with a slew of new problems arising because the forums likely haven't been changed since their iterations in beta.

I definitely wouldn't mind the official forums coming up at some point in the near future, though. If it means that for the time being they'll be updating their game on a daily basis with new goodies and fixes, as well as making it more awesome overall, I can deal with it for the time being.

That's why they should disable users posting. Though tbh I have little sympathy for them not wanting to maintain the infrastructure and main source of communication with their customers. Isn't it standard MMO practice to have all this sort of info in the launcher anyway? I dunno, for everything they've done right with the game itself I'm pretty dissapointed with the way they're handling this aspect of it.

I say this because the other day I kept getting kicked out of the game because of an incorrect password error. Then it refused to accept my login info. Generally if I have a problem with a game, especially an MMO, the first place I go is the forums. Unfortunatly not only were the forums down, but the password reset thing was down too. Turns out they'd reverted my recently-changed password to the one I had like 4 days previous. It's annoyances like these that can be easily avoided by having a centralised method of communication with customers.

Again, not a huge deal. But it was really annoying at the time.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 31, 2012, 09:18:18 pm »

Don't most multiplayer forums just devolve into rampant flame wars and whining threads anyway? That's what my experience has been so far, with slight variations in the rabidness of the users.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 31, 2012, 11:28:05 pm »

So, quick question, are the mist vaults and such a thing you can only do once a day or once every week or what?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 01, 2012, 11:12:50 am »

Like the jumping puzzles?  Those are once a day.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 01, 2012, 02:48:15 pm »

You can do the pirate puzzle in Lion's Arch daily, and it gives on-level gear, so I assume it would hold true for most things of that nature.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 01, 2012, 04:47:41 pm »

I picked Sylvari for my thief once I discovered you can have a mushroom for a head. It's fantastic.

I'm now level 9. Thieves definitely don't have as much burst damage as I expected, but I guess that's why they're not called assassins.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 86