Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, what's your most unexpected tantrum spiral?  (Read 6976 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, what's your most unexpected tantrum spiral?
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:42 pm »

For me, it's just become the one in my current fort. 100 dwarves, single dwarf in strange mood. Everyone is ecstatic except one of the farmers. Bone carver goes into a mood and demands two types of cloth and some other stuff. I have none of them. She goes berserk and gets taken down by nearby dwarves after killing a few. 5 minutes later, I've lost 10 dwarves and have 4 more berserkers, with everyone at 0 happiness. I've had the occasional berserk dwarf before and a couple of statues usually handles the happiness loss from the death, but this was immense. Literally went from perfect fortress to "Meh, never really liked that place anyway" in 5 minutes.

So, what's your best tantrum !!FUN!! story?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

mikelon

Re: So, what's your most unexpected tantrum spiral?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

I had a beserk dwarf take out the support of my 50 by 50 tile celing crush death trap.
It was mean to be a failsafe for husks

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:18:22 am »

I was eight years in, yet without adamantine, or even iron at that. Heh, mega beast, of course. But I beat him! Then another megabeast. Oh, look, this one is made of iron, fun! I killed him with cave in. I also, luckily, killed two nobles and children. Fun.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:20:25 am by MrButtchicker »

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:32:41 am »

I had one in my most successful fort to date. It was called Soargold, and it's flight was golden. It was home to nearly 300 dwarves, where the halls were paved in gold and the surface dominated by a nearly 4x4 map-wide obsidian wall with a trapped entrance weaving like a snake towards the central tower. There was a even a cathedral to Armok with a special altar for slaughtering puppies. Even with the Fortress Defence mod no siege had ever breached the inner courtyard. I was so confident that it was unbeatable that I kept on engineering more interesting ways of killing, starting with dropping bridges onto archery ranges to chambers that could be suddenly locked, filled with water and the occupants' arms removed with masterwork steel blades. I thought that only the next update could destroy this fort, even Hell was beaten back.
That was until I tried to capture a FB made out of coal. I thought I could have a show where I set it on fire. To do this I would stun it with a falling pillar of rock while it stood on a hall of cage traps. But I needed to drop it at the right moment otherwise the trap would fail and would have to be painfully reset. So I desinated the level just a little bit back from the pillar a meeting zone to attract potential lever pullers. Too bad the meeting zone also attracted about half a dozen kids. When the lever was pulled the pillar fell, knocking the coal FB away from the cage traps. It also sucked down all the occupants of the meeting zone about a dozen z-levels into the cavern below. Of course the parents tantrumed, and that started the demise of Soargold.
In the end the halls were lined with blood as well as gold. My COTG patrolled the corridors slaughtering berserking children.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:14 am »

Mine was just simple lack of shoes for kids.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:55:34 am »

Reclaimed fort. Third migrant wave I get a bunch of dwarves and several of them instantly berserk. How the hell does that even happen. half of the rest are miserable.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 03:48:04 am »

A baby, out with her mother collecting wood, becomes a child. Instantly it becomes severely depressed due to lack of clothing and runs back towards my fort to find clothing. However, on the way it decides it would rather collect plants and deconstruct part of my wall. By the time it (and I) finally realised it was still naked, it had gone beserk.

The baby's mother was a master axedwarf.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:52:19 am »

Reclaimed fort. Third migrant wave I get a bunch of dwarves and several of them instantly berserk. How the hell does that even happen. half of the rest are miserable.

Its probably not the migrants.  If you had any berserking dwarves before you abandoned last time, they will still be on the map, hiding in ambush.  So what likely happened is that when the new migrants came for the first time, they showed up at the edge of the map and stumbled across your hidden berserkers left over from before.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 04:21:38 am »

Ive never had a tantrum spiral. Had many tantrums but never a spiraling one. Probably because my forts are either on really good places or really hard places where all dwarves die as a group when something turns out to be bad enough that more than one dwarf die at a time.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:53:27 am »

The mayor was BFF's with pretty much everyone in my fort. She also happened to get picked off by several arrows to the upper body (couldn't get her back to the hospital in time), everyone who wasn't used to death became miserable.

And then it began to snow.

/tantrum/melancholy/berserk/I armed everyone

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:43 am »

A new wave of migrants arrived and just as the 'Tresher', that was part of the migrant wave, entered the meeting room he startet to throw a tantrum and. Didn't take long and it all went down the drain.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:21 am »

in about 3 years of playing DF I only recently just got my first true tantrum spiral off a succession fort.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:57 am »

"Championdorf has been miserable lately, he has eaten a fine meal, he has slept in a grand bedroom, he has admired an exceptional door, he has been embarrassed by not having a shoe"
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:30 am »

I have never experienced a true tantrum spiral as of yet, despite having lost countless forts in all manner of gruesome ways. The best I've seen is one of those half-arsed tantrum spirals experienced by a group of half a dozen survivors, and that hardly counts.

Mayhaps I shall simply have to orchestrate one in order to bear witness to the ‼FUN‼.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:59:02 am »

Mayhaps I shall simply have to orchestrate one in order to bear witness to the ‼FUN‼.

easy recipe.  5x5 dining hall.  A 50 migrants and tons of stray animals.  7 bedrooms.  Then don't build a well, and watch as the people injured by animals die of thirst in the hospital.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: [1] 2