Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Animal Castration  (Read 6264 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Castration
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 11:59:43 am »

I'd really like to be able to neuter cats as well as large animals.  Neutering dwarves would also really come in handy, IMO.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:55 pm »

Spaying females is a much more complex procedure and I don't think dwarves would be able to figure it out, and it's way out of the question that they'd be able to sterilize the tools correctly. Neutering males is really easy. For bulls, nowadays at least, all you have to do is wrap a rubber-band around the testicles and wait for them to fall off. Dwarves could do that with string in a second, and it would be extremely easy to imagine them doing it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 04:25:59 pm »

Easily enough done. You could make a workshop that takes a male dog and converts it to a new caste with the CE_TRANSFORMATION token or whatever it is.
Rather then converting it to a new caste it's easier just to add the [STERILE] tag with a syndrome.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »

Spaying females is a much more complex procedure and I don't think dwarves would be able to figure it out, and it's way out of the question that they'd be able to sterilize the tools correctly. Neutering males is really easy. For bulls, nowadays at least, all you have to do is wrap a rubber-band around the testicles and wait for them to fall off. Dwarves could do that with string in a second, and it would be extremely easy to imagine them doing it.

You say that, but they're capable of performing surgery that removes necrotic tissues and suturing dwarves back up without antiseptic aside from MAYBE soap.  If a doctor can remove a spot of necrosis from the liver of a dwarf, they can probably tie the tubes of a female whatever.

Also, if we have a [STERILE] tag now, I guess it's kind of a matter of just finding a way to apply it to creatures. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:14 am »

Gosh darnit Necrosis! You destroy everything! EVEN MY LOGIC!

Yeah, I spose you COULD just put [STERILE] on females also, but it just seems unfair, and like a whole lot more work than just putting it on one male.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:22 am »

I like this idea.

Provided, ofcourse, that it requires two rock blocks to perform. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »

It could also require a large dagger (or axe or cleaver or something), and have the same tool be a product of the reaction, in addition to the sterilizing gas.  Can you make the reaction produce the same tool as was used in the firstplace, or would your masterwork adamantine dagger turn into a base quality copper one?

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 06:41:43 am »

...well, you could just make the reaction not consume the tool...

[PRESERVE_REAGENT] is your friend. ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:43:40 am by Jheral »

CandyOreVein

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELEASESCLOWNS_TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:52 pm »

That reminds me of the time a pitbull attacked my brother; don't worry she's much better now...

Anyway, my solution is is slaughter all the females to control population growth.

I'm also imagining he'll have to add new ethics tags for it, like for slavery. I can imagine a fort that has a catch/neuter/release policy for Goblins, Kobolds, Elves and Humans...

A diplomat has left unhappy

That reminds me of the time a pitbull attacked my brother; don't worry she's much better now.
lol
You get three !!Candy!! bars.
Urist McNeedsToPullLever cancles pull lever. Enemy we where trying to keep out scared him.
Pages: 1 [2]