Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Steel Equipment for non Dwarfs; Possible?  (Read 7587 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steel Equipment for non Dwarfs; Possible?
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:15 pm »

The question is: If I wanted to equip a human adventurer of mine with steel armor (assume I can build a fort and craft it there if needed), would it be possible in current version? If not, what would I need to edit to make it possible?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Equipment for non Dwarfs; Possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:52 pm »

Dwarves make small armor, humans dont make steel, humans will never get steel currently.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »

Would it be possible to edit the raws so I can choose the size of armor to make on Dwarf Mode? Or barring that, where could I edit the body sizes?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:14:41 pm »

Editing creature sizes are found in 'creature_standard' file.  Both humans and dwarfs are in that file.

Reaction tags are found in 'entity_default' and you can add [PERMITTED_REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING] and [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING].  I think you only need to add the steel tag.  These tags effect the civilizations.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:51:03 am »

But it is still possible to get steel weapons is it not? So far Ive only used steel gauntlets on my human, I threw them in the leg of a titan and it fell over.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:43:30 am »

I don't think so, unless you find some Dorf bandits

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:56:03 am »

Yes, you can either mod humans to have access to steel, or (probably, not 100% sure) mod dwarves to be able to make armor in different sizes.

Modding dwarves to be able to make something they ordinarily wouldn't (e.g. sandals) is easy, but it could be that size is handled differently. I'm not sure.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:42 am »

Weapons made by dorfs are usable, and i think adding the two steel making reactions to humans in entity_default would allow them to craft steel armor of their own.

Do mind that that would mean that human bandits can get steel to. Which is extra fun.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:24:06 am »

I don't think so, unless you find some Dorf bandits

Well Ive found several dead dwarves at titans, one of them had a pair of steel *gauntlets* that was small. If so then weapons should be somewhere in the big world I have, just really hard to find.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:36:44 am »

Just edit entity_default so that humans have

[PERMITTED_REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]

I think that will do the trick. I can say I give all permissions to all races and that leads to everyone producing gear of all mundane metals (normally used for that sort of item) - I don't see a particular reason why only dwarves should be able to use steel.

Edit: didn't notice it had been mentioned already. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:38:29 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:23:02 am »

Just edit the RAWs to make everyone start out in Towns/Villages since the rest still need fixin'. Then you can legally buy (or steal) the other races wares and equipment.

Dorfy Mountain towns and Elven Forest towns will also give variety since locations and surrounding resources are different.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

kobolds can have steel weapons
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 11:59:47 am »

Thanks to a bug, any armor made in a shop will be sized for humans, even if it is a dwarven (or other modded civ) making it. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:38:10 pm »

Thanks to a bug, any armor made in a shop will be sized for humans, even if it is a dwarven (or other modded civ) making it.

However, it bears mentioning that the other civs' keeps will still have appropriately sized good.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Jeremy66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:14 pm »

Annoyed by this as well, I made some reactions of my own that allow me to reforge (read: magically turn) most iron armors and longswords into their steel equivalent. If you want me to post them in a spoiler, just let me know.
Pages: [1] 2