Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress Round?  (Read 6230 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress Round?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:18 am »

In adventure mode, it's actually kind of amusing, because some castles have walls that actually rise above "the sky", and the game has to stretch the sky upwards for the parapets of the castle, and when you look beyond the castle walls, there's empty void you can't even cursor over... and the castle parapets are only about 7 stories tall.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:31 am »

Or is the world flat?

My dwarves believe that it is balanced on the backs of four elephants which, in turn, stand on the back of a giant turtle.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:42 am »

It's turtles and elephants all the way down, I'm telling you, man! It's science.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 10:39:26 am »

That's what's wrong with the forums, he already had his question answered, no need to talk about castles and turtles now.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »

It's a forum. A place to talk. We're talking. We're using the forum for its defined purpose. QED.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

That's what's wrong with the forums, he already had his question answered, no need to talk about castles and turtles now.

Ah, but the discussion continues!

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 07:45:59 pm »

The game is a "region".  I did a calculation on this, once.  Even using 3 meters per tile on the largest possible map, you would arrive at a region that is roughly the size of Ireland. 
http://faculty.history.wisc.edu/sommerville/123/123%2013%20Society.htm - "To feed one person for a year on wheat required about two acres of land - today's yields would produce the same from 1/3 of an acre."

In DF one tile can feed 60 dwarves (using longland grass) at maximum potential yield this means each tile is at minimum 20 acres which is about 1.5 times the size of the base of the Great Pyramid at Giza(and that is assuming the modern yields).  This means the maximum size world is actually 6.2 times the surface area of the earth and a 4*4 embark is 3/4 the size of Rhode Island.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:48:03 pm by friendguy13 »
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:21 pm »

The game is a "region".  I did a calculation on this, once.  Even using 3 meters per tile on the largest possible map, you would arrive at a region that is roughly the size of Ireland. 
http://faculty.history.wisc.edu/sommerville/123/123%2013%20Society.htm - "To feed one person for a year on wheat required about two acres of land - today's yields would produce the same from 1/3 of an acre."

In DF one tile can feed 60 dwarves (using longland grass) at maximum potential yield this means each tile is at minimum 20 acres which is about 1.5 times the size of the base of the Great Pyramid at Giza(and that is assuming the modern yields).  This means the maximum size world is actually 6.2 times the surface area of the earth and a 4*4 embark is 3/4 the size of Rhode Island.
Quantum Stockpiling.
Tiles are too small for more then a single cat without all but one crouching.
In reality, nothing short of Word of Toady could confirm the amount of space in a tile.
We assume three feet because it seems somewhat reasonable.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »

And current farming is massively unrealistic and involves nothing more than throwing seeds at mud.  Further, a crocodile is one of the most productive dairy creatures in the game currently, while cows produce so little milk as to be worthless even compared to a pig.  Food is simply not realistic.  We had a pretty massive thread on thatTwo, even

And a tile is 3 meters cubed at most.  Arguments are generally over whether it's 2, 2.5, or 3 meters. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »

And current farming is massively unrealistic and involves nothing more than throwing seeds at mud.  Further, a crocodile is one of the most productive dairy creatures in the game currently, while cows produce so little milk as to be worthless even compared to a pig.  Food is simply not realistic.  We had a pretty massive thread on thatTwo, even

And a tile is 3 meters cubed at most.  Arguments are generally over whether it's 2, 2.5, or 3 meters.
Toady's FotF post:
I think they are fine given what I've read (that the floor space for a cottage for a family would be between, say, 25 and 125 square meters, depending on affluence and local customs and whatever else).  Throwing out 2m arbitrarily as a tile edge, we'd be at 100m^2 for the floor space and 1536 m between villages, which I'm more or less comfortable with (I read an aerial survey for medieval sites in England which put average nearest village distance at 0.89mi or something, and we talked about how this might be varied earlier).  Since we are on a grid, even with a single room the outer walls take up 24 tiles and the interior is 25, even though the outer walls shouldn't take up a lot of space.  If they are divided into a living and storage area, which might involve an internal partition, then the floor area would be cut down an additional 5 tiles, putting us down to 80m^2.  I don't know how different the cottage shapes are going to be, but within their plot there will end up being variations in terms of overall size, gardens, other structures, furniture, items, etc.

He has also mentioned in a DFTalk that it is 2 m.

This actually makes a lot more sense than you put it. Dwarves eat 6 meals a year, or 183 times less than we do. Therefore, one tile that will feed 60 dwarves is around four hundred forty-two square metres (442 m2). This means that the actual length of one tile by this metric, which is probably the second-most hyperbolic possible (I've got an even more extreme one), is 21 m.

Consider how long an average human walks in an hour (4-5 tiles). We can walk 5 km per hour, so the size of a DF tile must be greater than 1 km wide. Therefore, the size of a square is 1 km2 and measures over two hundred acres. This means that the second-smallest size world has a higher surface area than the Earth, and that a Carpenter's workshop is bigger than Monaco, and how your trade depot is more like downtown Manhatten. How's that for measurement?

Next time you build a wall, remember you just surpassed the Burj Khalifa's height record. Next time you participate in a Skyscrapes, you've built past the boundary of space.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:45:49 pm by dree12 »

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

Quote: Dree12

So, we easily surpass the Great Wall of China... I guess this explains why you can see buildings from an aerial/space view. A Necro tower is the size of a mountain, so a mountain is the size of at least the Moon...

We can agree that Dwarf Fortress has literally outgrown our planet.

P.S.: I did not mean you can see the Great Wall of China from space, I meant DF's buildings.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:53:56 am by Wimopy »
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:38 pm »

And current farming is massively unrealistic and involves nothing more than throwing seeds at mud.

I'd have to direct you to Masanobu Fukuoka's "The One-straw revolution". Read that. It's on the internet too, if you don't want to bother finding the actual book.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 09:16:39 pm »

So, we easily surpass the Great Wall of China... I guess this explains why you can see buildings from an aerial/space view.
Despite being a pretty kickass wall (in some sections), the Great Walls of China are not visible from space.
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43:39 am »

Just because you can cross to the West side of the map from the East side of the map doesn't mean the world is round.

It could be a Torus. ;)

Civilization, as an example, uses a torus shaped landscape, but because of how it is displayed to the user, it would simply appear to be a globe.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:45:45 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

Can you not choose the shape of your world in Civ? At least in the later ones?
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3