Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ah, the waterfall...  (Read 5918 times)

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ah, the waterfall...
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »

... is how my fish cleaner of questionable intelligence fell 16 z levels to his death along with a salamander and a feral dog down a waterfall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Waste of time finding his missing corpse. Guess i have to wait for his ghost to make a slab, right?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, the waterfall...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:17:25 pm »

You can wait and see what sort of ghost he'll become before slabing him, yeah. But you could be extra dwarfy and undergo a massive project to recover his corpse and bury it. :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:33:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »

Actually if you are running 34.07 then Toady made it so you can engrave slabs for missing dwarves as well as dead ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:58 pm »

Actually if you are running 34.07 then Toady made it so you can engrave slabs for missing dwarves as well as dead ones.
Have you been able to do this? I read about it in the update but it doesn't seem to work, whenever I arrange an accident I have to wait for the ghost to rise to be able to slab them.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »

If you engrave a slab for them before they are a ghost then it works just fine.  It will not give you any feedback.  Like, it isn't going to say "Oh hey, you just prevented a ghost!"  But you did, in fact, prevent a ghost if you engrave their name and place the slab.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:05:02 pm »

You can wait and see what sort of ghost he'll become before slabing him, yeah. But you could be extra dwarfy and undergo a massive project to recover his corpse and bury it. :P
If he is in a temperate biome or colder, all the stuff will be obliterated in the winter. Wonder if there will still be a ghost if the body is destroyed.....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:07:06 pm »

There will be.

And freezing in ice actually makes it very simple to recover the corpse; it will continue to exist under the ice until the spring thaw (then it is destroyed), so you could, say, dig it out of the ice mid-winter and be done with it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »

If you engrave a slab for them before they are a ghost then it works just fine.  It will not give you any feedback.  Like, it isn't going to say "Oh hey, you just prevented a ghost!"  But you did, in fact, prevent a ghost if you engrave their name and place the slab.
I mean their names don't appear until they rise as a ghost.

Actually never mind, I was screwing around and managed to replace .07 with .06.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:20:42 pm by Broseph Stalin »

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »

... is how my fish cleaner of questionable intelligence fell 16 z levels to his death along with a salamander and a feral dog down a waterfall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Waste of time finding his missing corpse. Guess i have to wait for his ghost to make a slab, right?

Well that's how waterfall's raise dwarven moral, permanently! *chuckles*

Yup, I think I am being corrupted by this forum =/
I voted for BANANA!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:38:17 pm »

A common occurrence, I used to THROW my dwarves into a river from 10z levels above just to check which way the river was flowing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:15:11 pm by SRD »
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:14 am »

Bring lava to the surface and pour it down on his corpse.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:02:26 am »

A common occurrence, I used to THROW my dwarves into a river from 10z levels above just to check which way the river was flowing.

and now they jump by themself. It's taking out all the fun.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:23:02 am »

When a river flows off map you see other digits then 7/7.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:49 am »

You would waste a perfect excuse to throw live things into dead things?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 04:51:46 am »

You would waste a perfect excuse to throw live things into dead things?

But I like my little bearded fluffballs who reek of scotch and kitten tallow cheesecake.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.
Pages: [1] 2