Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dream Interpretation: Alien Space Battle  (Read 16598 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Interpretation: Alien Space Battle
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:36 am »

Recursive dreams usually mean you are trying to escape some emotion you don't like or don't wish to confront, maybe the fear of loosing control (trying to get control of the temple from death wing)? As for the main dream, sounds like a great sci-fi satire (while greatly exaggerated) of current political shit going on. Or at least the mentality of what people are doing with the power structures that be. Been talking allot of politics lately? Unhappy about the upcoming elections? No candidate you really like? That might be enough to trigger something like that. Then again you might not be in America, do you live in North Korea? O.o
I voted for BANANA!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:09 pm »

Man I would cry if my dreams were that 2D, sometimes they are, but only if I've been starting at an isometric view or something for hours on end. I use a tile-set, so thankfully I've been saved from being the @ symbol =)

Best dream, like that, I was the Avatar, from Ultima VII I even walked like the sprites did.

http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/Update%2038/

Is a good image =P

My space battle was full on real though, Newtonian physics, no sound in space and all. Gasses exploding into spherical shapes immediately upon decompression.
I voted for BANANA!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 02:30:20 pm »

I get a lot of nightmares, and I mean a lot of nightmares. Most of the time it will be about 50% of my dreams, measured on a weekly basis. If I'm feeling good that week it might lower to around 20% or so, but if I'm stressed out it can go all the way to 100%. It's always been like that too. My nightmares as a little kid were much less visceral, but just as common.

I've also had a few of what I call "Safe Mode Dreams", in which my frontal lobe apparently decides to take the night off and leaves me wandering about in a void filled with simple geometric shapes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »

I can faintly remember maybe three or four nightmares out of over a hundred dreams. Even dreams that could be nightmarish to some (drowning, etc.) usually have me go "Hmm, I seem to be drowning. Neat.". All of the nightmares are from early childhood (only dreams from that time that I remember) or late teens.

My probably most outlandish dream was when I was a unicorn running in a forest. It got a bit spooky when I had to stab some gremlins with my horn, since in order to stab I had to tilt my head downward which obstructed my vision. It was a pretty cool dream, since I just loved how I was able to run so insanely fast as an equine. I should probably mention that that's one of the very few times I've been a non human(oid) in a dream.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 03:26:40 pm »

Eh, my nightmares were always of those I loved being tortured, raped, or dying, while I was powerless to save them, or the exact opposite where I was in danger and nobody was there to rescue me.

My most hated nightmare was from the time my father died, right before, in which my room had a flowing, creepily-dripping river of blood oozing and rippling like a putrid Bubonic pustule, bloody handprints climbing up and down the walls, the floor replete with mostly-decomposed corpses and my bed, impossibly far from the opposite walls yet too close to the ceiling, had transformed into a spiked, bone-ridden, cage-like contraption. The spirits of the damned who had previously died there were warning me to leave, scratching on the windows and walls, tearing at the paint and the glass, screaming into the howling night to never return again, severed animated limbs and dessicated corpses crawling among the boxes in our basement, an enchained and tortured spirit vomiting an endless flow of coagulated blood, the sick metallic scent lingering like charred wood, clinging to my skin and dominating my thoughts. I don't remember how it ends because I lost all recollection of my childhood when my father died, a week later, his lungs ironically collapsing as he vomited blood and died smiling in my mother's arms.

And that is why I hate sleeping, and will stay awake for as long as humanly possible before succumbing to exhaustion. I know its not healthy, but I'd rather feel like a zombie that have those damn nightmares...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

That's pretty scary/bad especially when it happens to people you care about =/

I became emotionally detached from "people" early on in life. My nightmares were more my own fears and powerlessness to do anything about my personal bad guys when I was a little kid. When I learned how to defend myself and deal with my bullies I liberated myself from them. Consequently I eventually was able to learn to care for and respect others, and deal with loss quite well later on. Because I had to let go in order to survive.

Not saying anyone is insane. But I think the more grounded you can become in your own consciousness. And the more self aware you become gives you better tools to cope with those things. Those nightmares are probably a way, or some kind of biological tool, or something spiritual. I am not an expert on it. Definitely not from your angle. There is all kinds of guidance you can seek, not even saying to seek any, but its out there if you want it. But don't let yourself be afraid =/ Living in fear is the worst thing that can happen to anyone.

I had allot of guidance, allot of it I didn't want. Allot I hated people for. Everything from Christians, to secular psychologists, to drill sergeants, to genuine hippies. You have to take the bad with the good and throw away the garbage. Man, I just wish you guys well who suffer those kinds of nightmares.

Muad'dib from Frank Herbets dune says... fear is the mind killer. It overwhelms all. Learn to acknowledge pain, suffering, and danger, and use it for the greater good, or for your own good. Whatever suits you the best.

As far as scary dreams that are premonitions, I've had about 3 of them. But they were always symbols, events didn't happen the same as they did in the dreams. But people, places and items were there and the same, and the general feel, conflict, or loss, was always powerful and had a direct relation to future events for me. Those are rare, and creeeeeepy.... But learning to listen to them has been interesting.

One of my sciency hypotheses is memory is not really linear unless your experiencing it as such, but you can have moments were you experience it in a non-linear way and it is just like a dream, or vision. Then again you can dive into the spiritual, and philosophical pool...
I voted for BANANA!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:21 pm »

That's pretty scary/bad especially when it happens to people you care about =/

I became emotionally detached from "people" early on in life. My nightmares were more my own fears and powerlessness to do anything about my personal bad guys when I was a little kid. When I learned how to defend myself and deal with my bullies I liberated myself from them. Consequently I eventually was able to learn to care for and respect others, and deal with loss quite well later on. Because I had to let go in order to survive.

Not saying anyone is insane. But I think the more grounded you can become in your own consciousness. And the more self aware you become gives you better tools to cope with those things. Those nightmares are probably a way, or some kind of biological tool, or something spiritual. I am not an expert on it. Definitely not from your angle. There is all kinds of guidance you can seek, not even saying to seek any, but its out there if you want it. But don't let yourself be afraid =/ Living in fear is the worst thing that can happen to anyone.

I had allot of guidance, allot of it I didn't want. Allot I hated people for. Everything from Christians, to secular psychologists, to drill sergeants, to genuine hippies. You have to take the bad with the good and throw away the garbage. Man, I just wish you guys well who suffer those kinds of nightmares.

Muad'dib from Frank Herbets dune says... fear is the mind killer. It overwhelms all. Learn to acknowledge pain, suffering, and danger, and use it for the greater good, or for your own good. Whatever suits you the best.

As far as scary dreams that are premonitions, I've had about 3 of them. But they were always symbols, events didn't happen the same as they did in the dreams. But people, places and items were there and the same, and the general feel, conflict, or loss, was always powerful and had a direct relation to future events for me. Those are rare, and creeeeeepy.... But learning to listen to them has been interesting.

One of my sciency hypotheses is memory is not really linear unless your experiencing it as such, but you can have moments were you experience it in a non-linear way and it is just like a dream, or vision. Then again you can dive into the spiritual, and philosophical pool...

Aye, as per your first paragraph, that's what I experienced.

I don't so much fear it, as I've become so accustomed to irrevocable insomnia that I simply find it difficult to sleep. Not to mention I have no impulse to force myself to sleep at all.

Permanent bags under my eyes, aaaargh. :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »

Aye, as per your first paragraph, that's what I experienced.

I don't so much fear it, as I've become so accustomed to irrevocable insomnia that I simply find it difficult to sleep. Not to mention I have no impulse to force myself to sleep at all.

Permanent bags under my eyes, aaaargh. :P

Ha, good to know, I had to say my piece anyway you know...

Part of that could be training your body to stay awake. And circadian rhythms, cycles. I say if you can function without sleep and don't want it. Don't worry about it. If you want you can train your body to be tired at certain times, mostly through strenuous physical activity is how I do it. If I want to change when I am awake and when I'm tired.
I voted for BANANA!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 10:58:33 pm »

To the person on pg 2 that said something about wishing there was a way to record dreams:

Soon that may be an option! Right now there are studies going on that could lead to that; the one that I am familiar with deals with how the brain processes dream-state visuals which stem from activity near where the eyes hookup into the brain. Also they have been doing studies about how the eyes see things, turns them into electrical impulses, and then sends them along to be processed. So far the studies seem promising, and are producing fuzzy images of the things being observed by the testee. This seems like very promising work, and may eventually lead to something akin to the dream recorder in Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within. While the movie kinda sucked it may have been a stimulus for this research, and for that the movie is now pure win in my book.

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 11:14:48 am »

To the person on pg 2 that said something about wishing there was a way to record dreams:

Soon that may be an option! Right now there are studies going on that could lead to that; the one that I am familiar with deals with how the brain processes dream-state visuals which stem from activity near where the eyes hookup into the brain. Also they have been doing studies about how the eyes see things, turns them into electrical impulses, and then sends them along to be processed. So far the studies seem promising, and are producing fuzzy images of the things being observed by the testee. This seems like very promising work, and may eventually lead to something akin to the dream recorder in Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within. While the movie kinda sucked it may have been a stimulus for this research, and for that the movie is now pure win in my book.

GalenEvil

Reminds me of some crazy tech from the game "The Longest Journey" And its sequel, if you liked FF games, you might like that one, though there is almost no fighting. It's your bread and butter adventure game, though the puzzles mostly (all) fit into the universe and aren't over complex. The story is compelling though, and sucks you in, like almost all the FF games.

So I just had this dream were Quetzalcoatl basically tells me under the guise of a Sony dragon =P (look at SONY's name *cough*) that 'We are bombin Saturn YO!' (not exactly but that's basically what I understand from the jumble of subtitles over poor English (which the dragon was speaking)), also images of Saturn's atmosphere full of nuclear explosions. I woke up and was mad because the movie ended abruptly and didn't have any closure.

Oh for those who don't get the name thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I voted for BANANA!

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 03:47:21 pm »

Whenever I'm running a fever, I have the same dream. Insignificant event, usually a mundane activity that I perform everyday. One object suddenly becomes more important in the event, whether it belongs or not (One time it was a VISA credit card, the other it was a giant mech). I can't do anything other than focus on this object. As I slowly begin to stare at it, everything becomes louder. A book falling from a shelf becomes a 10-kiloton nuclear bomb. More importantly, everything I hear is filled out with a white noise. This gets louder and louder, until I cannot think of anything but this noise.

And then I wake up.

Strange dream, always scares the shit out of me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »

That's not exactly true. Dreams aren't supernatural or anything, but sometimes they do have a sort of meaning. I know a lot of my nightmares are concerning things I'm worried about at the time. They usually aren't earthshaking revelations, but that doesn't mean they're random and meaningless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

dream interpretation:
they are dreams. they are made up of memories (and twisted by your mind, so you can play a game, then, in your dream, you are in the game. maybe you'll have a bunch of things smooshed together, either way, made from memories). they do not tell you 'you are depressed' or 'you will save the world', they are simply the way your mind goes about trying to look busy while you are asleep.

Do you have empirical, tried, and true tested evidence for this? I think the human mind is a bit more complex then that personally. That is just my belief. I also think the universe consists of more then what we can observe directly and scientifically model. Any current scientific model is easily torn apart by something observable at some point. I think we have even busted up the laws of thermodynamics by observing "weird" stuff in the cosmos with telescopes. Zero point energy comes to mind, that "shouldn't exist" but we've observed it and created all kinds of maths to try and explain it away... That doesn't mean they aren't useful, or generally true (Newtonian physics, I mostly trust 99% of the time), just that it is an inaccurate statement to say "something is so, and must be so". Which really bugs me about the whole debate that we are just as simple as machines with bits and entirely predictable. There's no way in hell to model an infinitely complex system to predict it, which leaves room for all kinds of mystical shit, a-la-more models, like quantum mechanics (and dark matter which I think is total B.S. pushed by mainstream popular people who own the educational system) =)

TLDR: So I'm going to have to disagree. Based on personal experience dreams can (but maybe not all the time) mean much more then random white noise in the fuzzy bits of our CPU's while in a state of altered consciousness.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:33:14 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 04:43:46 pm »

-snup snap snip-
Wellm a large number of people believe it in the same way a large number of people believe that the big bang started the universe.

give me sufficient evidence it proves that you are going to ASCEND INTO GODHOOD or something, and I'll believe you. sufficient is, however, relative.

Haha, I never said anything of the sort, like ascension to godhood lol (wait I'm already a god!!!!!!!!!!!) j/k (maybe)... But in all seriousness. I have studied stuff like The Big Bang and a whole bunch of other things that are mainstream, and taught in elementary school (like from my era, how Christopher Columbus was the first to discover America). But I disagree and think there is far to little evidence to prove those things so. Your argument is a double edged sword. I'm not going to debate it further. But thanks for contributing your point of view. I really don't want to turn this into a thread about the existence, or not there-of of gods, and whether or not Einstein was right or not. Those are debates for elsewhere, and new threads =P.
I voted for BANANA!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4