Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's your white whale, Urist McAhab?  (Read 13911 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: What's your white whale, Urist McAhab?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »

I've always wanted to make an elaborate temple complex, complete with areas for the worship of Armok, ritual sacrifices, prisoner disposal areas, a live-in priesthood... the works.
A temple complex is good, but for now, I'm going for a church to the united dwarven pantheon. Each deity gets an appropriate masterwork statue & some chairs for the faithful, etc. The problem is that the RNG keeps giving me crappy gods: Whenever I find a civilization with a cool name, I'll start a few random embarks just to learn the gods that the civ has . . . and there's always at least one real loser, like the god of crafts whose name means "Butterfly," or the one who takes the form of a male gorlak.

I have always intended to construct an enormous aboveground castle and keep, but never actually get around to doing it.
My current & previous fort, Marblehalls, has an outer curtain wall encompassing about 98% of the 4x4 embark, with an inner curtain for security (and to keep clowns from ever reaching the keep). Now I just need to get those walls higher than 1 z-level. The central keep is 6 stories high and made of solid marble, not counting the towers and (planned) pyramidial glass roof. At least, that's how far I got in 10 years, before I finally got sick of 16 FPS. Reloaded the original embark, trying again with a pop. cap of only 100 this time.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:24 pm »

100 story tall, self contained, obsidian tower. 
Made it back in 31.25

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:03 am »

Mine is to build a precise and accurate clock that controls my fort with daily, monthly, seasonal and annual cycles.

I've never been able to make it without screwing up the build order somewhere before my fortress crumbled.  One of these days...
At last, she is done.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 09:35:36 am »

I need to test slade, but I never get that far.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:38 am »

Build from ground to sky (100z lvls mandatory) with nothing but blocks, and dig from ground level to the magma sea.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 11:42:09 am »

Adamantite, without throwing a dwarf down a volcano.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:13 pm »

Actually surviving past 3 years.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 08:22:17 pm »

Building an awesome maze complex then getting an artifact worth putting in it to ADVENTURE for. Cage traps and the like too.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 08:23:54 pm »

Building an awesome maze complex then getting an artifact worth putting in it to ADVENTURE for. Cage traps and the like too.

Cage traps are made so they NEVER trap adventures, not even if Traps affect adventures are on.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »

I would love to magma-cast a massive structure on a 16x16 embark. Outer walls 10 tiles thick, at least 12 zs tall, faced inside and out with fortifications for marksdwarfs, and otherwise filled with magma to supply the landmines. Then a fortress type structure with, say, 3 towers. Each dwarf gets his or her own complex of rooms with their own workshops.

This would regrettably completely murder FPS, but is cool to imagine.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

I spent the whole of 40d planning out elaborate death mazes to run goblins through, loaded with complicated and implausible deathraps, and giving up halfway.

Now that that pretty much describes the average fortress entrance, I've had to move to huge exterior megaprojects and/or a Helm's Deep replica as the thing I want to do and never get around to.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »

I have never once been able to get into Hell. For some reason, my miners just stop mining in the Adamantine pillars 2 or 3 z-levels before opening up the chasm below. I've tried to use DFhack to just cheat mine it, but... I don't think I am using it right since it doesn't actually dig anything, it just designates spots for digging. :/

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »

To convince someone to play dwarf fortress. This is harder then anything yet on this thread, especially when you live your life with people getting yelled for not being tenth prestige.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »

To convince someone to play dwarf fortress. This is harder then anything yet on this thread, especially when you live your life with people getting yelled for not being tenth prestige.

Depends on who you talk to of course.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 03:34:05 pm »

Digging out a massive underground cavern (like 30 z-levels tall, encompassing most of the embark), and building a fortress in it. Think Undergrotto. Problem is, my forts keep dieing to miscellaneous bits of !!FUN!!, or my sudden discovery that the world has no goblins to siege me.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4