Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's your white whale, Urist McAhab?  (Read 13903 times)

fritz04

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What's your white whale, Urist McAhab?
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:17:44 pm »

Not sure if anyone else suffers the same affliction.  A desire to build one particular megaproject, or achieve one specific goal, that no matter how many fortresses you build you can never seem to get it done. 

Mine would be my massive obsidian cast elevated tiered sky pyramid rigged for selective colony drops onto the surface.  I tend to either go through several starting forts just to realize the site doesn't contain the raw materials i need/want, or make it further just to either lose a fort to siege i forgot to prepare for, or I set things up so badly my fort lags to death trying to construct the mold.  And then of course theres good ol' distracted by something else and enough new versions have come out that its easier to just start the fort over... 

Hopefully i'm not alone in my madness.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your white whale, Urist McAhab?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:26:18 pm »

I havent really found my white whale, maybe training my military so well that a siege will be more of a petty annoyance than a threat. The perfect fortress (as undwarfy as that sounds). I want to rule with an <<☼Adamantine Fist☼>>. Like I said, im not entirely sure. I'm still "finding" myself with DF so to speak. Lately though I have been trying to start up that Child Care service, not sure if anyone succeeded, to many pages to read through :P
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »

I love 'Moby-Dick' and just about pounced on my keyboard for a chance to open this thread. Captain Ahab is a true role model.

Really though, I've always wanted to make an elaborate temple complex, complete with areas for the worship of Armok, ritual sacrifices, prisoner disposal areas, a live-in priesthood... the works. But ultimately whenever I attempt to build it the result is never as satisfying as the temple that exists within my mind. Either that or the fortress gets hit by some disaster that I cannot recover from. In my current fort it looks like I'll run out of dwarves before I can get it done since, for complicated reasons, migrants won't come anymore and the combined forces of goblins and humans are slowly cutting away at my populace.

"From hell's heart", etc, etc.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »

The todo list of my mod. I actually made two, one for the next release, the other I renamed: "eternal to do list".

I work and mod, tick of things on the list, but with every version I release the list only gets longer, not shorter.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »

My white wale is just a whale, really.

-Harpun'd.

Well, really. No amount of tinkering has enabled dwarf or other civs to tame sea creatures so I can request them by caravan. I've tried a lot of different stuff.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:34:40 pm »

You are not alone. I have a bad habit at getting some 'great' idea for a megaproject, then abandoning them. Mostly my greatest enemy is designating those damn walls... It just gets too repetitive after a while.

The one project that I've started over and over and over again is the Tower of Babel. Always wanted to make that for some unknown reason, and I think four days ago I started again. This time with a bit different design and I'm already getting bored with designating.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »

I always wanted to hollow a mountien and build a fort from the ground up inside said hollow space. It sounds nice, but I always get sidetracked by,say, keas snaching things away from me.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:47:57 pm »

The Sewer System. It encompasses the whole fortress, from the bottom of the deepest caverns to the tops of the highest towers. Central control room provides fine control over the pressure. Each section can be optionally filled with water or magma. Wells or floor-grates in every living room. Pressure can be increased to flood specific rooms without affecting the rest of the fort.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 05:44:51 pm »

A massive, massive, massive, massive obsidian cast statue of a dragon, rearing in it's fiery glory, taking up as many Z levels as I can make it take up, all cast and smoothed from obsidian, no walls built. Magma waterfalls will come from it's mouth, filled with platinum teeth and lined with rubies, in it's nostrils will reside fire to produce smoke, coming from a suitable material, or using goblin corpses in an automatic capture, processing, and dispensing system. It's eyes will be magma, just barely contained by fragile glass windows.

Of course, it would take way more time than I'm willing to put in, but DAMN would it look awesome...

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 05:46:50 pm »

Does anybody by any chance make obsidian by mixing it with bloody water?

Edit: Iram of the Tall Pillars. Think a modern metropolis with skyscrapers carved out of a mountain.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:53:08 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:12 pm »

Recently I came across the reconstructed original schematics of the 6502 CPU.  It occurred to me that it wasn't all that complicated, and could with some effort be recreated in dwarf water and gear logic.  I got as far as working out designs for memory cells and address decoders and designing a really nifty full adder circuit before losing interest in the project.  Still have my design notes on paper.  Might build it someday if I have nothing better to do for a few months.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:49:01 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 06:10:22 pm »

To create a state of complete and utter paradise across the entirety of any given world. This does not simply mean creating an aesthetically orgasmic, prosperous, self sufficient fortress filled with ecstatic inhabitants, no. It means putting an end to all wars and threats I may ever come across. It means neutralizing any were/nightcreature, megabeastie, or necromancer that threatens the peace and safety of others, descending into the caverns and eradicating every forgotten beastie that dwells there, overcoming the demons of hell so that they may never torment another soul again. Ensuring that all remaining living beings exist in absolute, uninterrupted harmony. That, is my white whale.

Fortunately, my current world entered the golden age a couple centuries ago, meaning this time, I may actually have a chance of succeeding.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:41:48 pm »

I want to embark on a temperate ocean, so it's frozen part of the time, and build a fortress out into the ocean.

I build during the winter, digging channels down and then building Stone Block Walls up, like supports on an oil derrick, for realism. I build a massive step pyramid temple-structure right in the middle, with a staircase leading down into my base under the seafloor. Once construction is complete, I turn of temperature so the ocean is always unfrozen. A massive bridge system is built across, and in the event of a siege I raises the bridges, trapping some invaders on a small mid-station between the shore and the pyramid. A staircase, normally covered by a bridge, leads down into my military chambers. I retract the bridge and send my soldiers up to fight the invaders, should I so choose.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »

Getting a functioning milita.

Try as I might, I always end up resorting to a massive hall of serrated discs and/or magma for my defense.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:11 pm »

Cast obsidian monolith extending from just above the magma sea to the highest z-level I can cast at. With it being large enough to house my entire fort in and being completely smoothed. Those damn cavern lakes though...
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4