Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fighting undead  (Read 14368 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting undead
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:13 am »

unlike living enemies, zombies do not require a headshot to be put down with a crossbow.  archers can kill them much faster than a typical siege.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:16 am »

By the way, bisection / decapitation is supposedly the only way to kill some creatures such as mummies and sponge men.  Does that instantly kill zombies too?  I'm guessing it either doesn't, or it doesn't matter because the animated body parts stand back up anyway?

Ta da!

Zombies and skeletons still have the same HP system they had in previous versions

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:19 am »

Vampire dwarf fighters. It's largely luck-based to get (and find) a vampire immigrant, but the only time I lost vampires in combat was to a forgotten beast's poison breath. They took down the beast before dropping dead themselves.

Failing that, ax weapon traps, with hammer weapon traps behind them.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 10:42:06 am »

Vampire dwarf fighters.

ABOMINATION

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:34 am »

Vampire dwarf fighters.

ABOMINATION

This is Dwarf Fortress. If you don't have at least one aspect of your creation that warrants the use of that word you're doing it wrong.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 11:05:53 am »

My vampire won't die... I've drowned him, hammered him, dropped him 13z levels, sacrificed him to the dozens of caged cave dragons... Doesn't help that he's a legendary wrestler/legendary fighter/legendary striker/legendary kicker... But still, Either I put him in a cave in accident or use him as a meat grinder for the arena.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:59 am »

Vampire dwarf fighters.
ABOMINATION
This is Dwarf Fortress. If you don't have at least one aspect of your creation that warrants the use of that word you're doing it wrong.
There are things that warrant immediate death. Good things, bad things. Mostly Dwarf things. Then there are things. Like vampire Dwarves contributing to society.

Burn them. Burn them all.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

Vampire dwarf fighters.
ABOMINATION
There are things that warrant immediate death. Good things, bad things. Mostly Dwarf things. Then there are things. Like vampire Dwarves contributing to society.

it seems like !!vampire soldiers!! would be more effective, if kept away from booze.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 04:07:08 pm »

I had wanted to use my dwarven vampire king as a blender in the arena, to chop up whole corpses into more pieces that can be butchered, yielding more bones for decoration, but it turns out vampires and zombies are friendly with each other. :(

Also vampires work very, very, very slowly. Glacially slow. They still need a constant food source or they apparently can't do anything other than fighting, hauling, or lever pulling. Doing a single job in a non-cluttered workshop can take nearly a full season to complete.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 05:06:15 pm »

Vampire dwarf fighters.
ABOMINATION

What about king vampire dwarves? They already don't contribute to society, except by racking up twenty-six thousand kills over their lifetime. (deathtime? undeathtime?)

So I drafted him, along with my other suspected vampire, and sent them into the caverns to hunt blind cave ogres, giant olms, and a giant cave spider. The GCS broke a knee and a wrist of one of them, and one of the blind cave ogres bit an arm off. The knee and wrist required medical attention, but he went back out and kicked more ass one-armed while using a crutch.
 If a god of death and destruction takes a personal interest in a dwarf, I feel it is only fair to let them do as much death and destruction as possible, as fast as possible.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 11:23:40 am »

As a swordsman, I have never managed to kill a zombie by chopping its head off. But I have managed to kill a few by chopping their necks off. Others required me to chop most of their limbs off + the neck.

Reanimation wasn't an issue - most of the battle was outside of the necro tower. And inside the tower, the undead killed off the necromancers somehow.

I'm talking about adventure mode, of course.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 03:52:35 pm »

In my latest fort i got lucky and landed on the lair of a vampire. After constructing a well of undeath I contaminated the original 7 who were already all legendary wrestlers. During the first undead siege, I send them all out, confident that the horde would just amble about pointlessly as the vampire squad destroyed them, but they all fought back. Are zombies ignoring vampires still in this version?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 03:58:03 am »

Undead+Underground=Miasma
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.
Pages: 1 [2]