Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quest help.  (Read 1540 times)

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quest help.
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:50:40 pm »

So.. I decided, in my newbyness, to try and play Adventure mode...

After a few painful, painful deaths false starts, I managed to figure out how to ask for quests... unfortunately, they person monster I'm supposed to murder slay is no where to be found.

I [T]raveled to where the line lead, then tried to figure out how to use the compass to arrive where it should be..

But didn't find anything..  ???

Help, please?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Quest help.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16:10 pm »

Generally speaking, you can take something like a dozen quests before you are stopped, quests only help to give you that compass marker, and you can kill something and report it just like a quest would, so there's no particular need to even be on a quest in the first place, so worrying too much about it is pointless.  Just do whatever you feel like and occasionally tell people you just killed something worth bragging about.

With that out of the way, it depends on what sort of location you are in, and what sort of creature you are looking for.

In general, that compass points to the middle of the worldmap tile that has that creature in it, not the creature itself.  This is important in cities, because it basically only points to the center of the city instead of the creature.  Basically, don't bother looking for them in cities.  Explore cities for fun and maybe kill some bandit leaders, but don't expect to find everything.  The game's procedural sewer generation will create sewers that are impossible to reach without the ability to mine. 

If you are looking for a werecritter, however, what you are looking for is almost always a single down ramp that leads to a lair.  It will be somewhere in the 48x48 tile box in the local area that you can travel through, and it's really hard to see sometimes if you are using some tilesets like the standard one. 

Alternately, a lair can sometimes be a small crevice in a slope instead of just a down ramp.  Check to make sure there are actual walls in the whole area, and you didn't just walk right over a cave entrance and didn't notice because you didn't check on that z-level.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »

Welll, I was supposed to go kill a vampire. Who I thought would be in town...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:32 pm »

Well, all the compass will tell you is what town they are in, not where they are in it.  You'll have to explore the entire town to find that one vampire, and there may not actually be any path to them at all, since the game can spawn them inside completely sealed chambers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:46:26 am »

inside completely sealed chambers.

Thats why abandoning quests should be an option.

Ive found that sometimes being a necromancer or vampire, you can swim in the sewer water to reach them. Only happened once for me though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »

You'll have to explore the entire town to find that one vampire...
Actually, if you offer service to someone in the town he'll tell you which way the vampire's house is. Once you're in the right house, just look for a blinking human/elf/dwarf and accuse him.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »

For noobs like me, fast travel to the square where the line says to go, then look at the rader in the topleft of the screen, follow TSK until you get to the locations ^_^
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."