Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legalities legalities: Beiswenger vs. Ubisoft  (Read 7213 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Legalities legalities: Beiswenger vs. Ubisoft
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

I seem to recall Altair impliying in the Codex that Jesus came into contact or possessed a Piece of Eden at some point, explaining his place in history and all his powers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »

You know, I'm wondering here. I was recommended a book that I ought to read, so I figured, I can get Linked as well and give it a quick read through (I have a feeling anything other than quick will lead to soul pains). Just a thought though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »

I would avoid spending money to read it, myself. I think it's what the whole point of this lawsuit is.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:00 pm »

Dammit, good point. Should the opportunity present itself, I'll give it a read though. Or maybe me reading it and reviewing it will keep people away.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »

Perhaps you could find it in a library or second hand store.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:04 pm »

Interlibrary loan would probably be your best of best friends, there. Might cost a buck or two to get it shipped to your library, but someone's donated a copy or two, somewhere, and at least with that the money (probably) goes to a good cause. Well, good cause beyond personal entertainment, curiosity, and probably mocking.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »

Sadly, not in the US, so it probably isn't an option. I think there might be a library somewhere here, but it isn't prominent and doesn't let you check books out. As for second hand bookstores. Heh, I'd be surprised if there was one in this country that sold books in English. Or hell, if it even sold books in Arabic.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 12:29:26 am »

Okay, haven't played ACII in a while so please bear with me if I flub-up or am totally off mark with this comment. If I am please state so and I will make apologies as appropriate...

So, ACII is about your guy Ezio runnin round murderin people who deserve it for the "greater good" and because he's told to do so. I liked it a lot better than the first one, which just had a ridiculous amount of land to cover for the goals. Very polished in graphics but omfg the distances I had to run since I forgot to get on my horse half the time! Okay, back to ACII since that's what the topic is about >.>

I remember killing one of the Borgias, I think? Or was that one of the Medici? I feel like it was a Medici since they had a very heavy influence in Italian politics and religion... but not sure. So, there's the general connection to the holiest of holys, the great and powerful Raptor Jesus. So, we run around killing prominent figures in Italian history, through Vienna (so nice a city with its canals), and several other places... I would guess Rome but again haven't played for any length of time since I beat it a month after it hit the shelves.

The Animus machine, being the connection to the past that is necessary for the plotline of the series, is unique. It is only unique in the way that it is used, I think. The Animus doesn't actually let you "change" events, concerning the plotline, but lets you experience them the way they are required to happen since it is just a genetic memory. Oh, another consideration is the entire premise of Genetic Memory. That has been around for a while, and is most often associated with migrating birds, and fish such as Salmon which return generation after generation to the same calm portion of stream year after year. But back to the Animus... I have not read the book nor any synopsis about it, and so cannot say what, if any, relationship there is between the machine/object/whatever in the book and the Animus machine. Assassins are in a lot of movies (Ninja Assassin, etc), games (Hitman, etc), other books (essential the Splinter Cell series is about a spy/hitman/F'ingAwesomeDude... pretty sure Splinter Cell is a book series anyway >.>), and the greatest argument HISTORY!, so it is impossible for the auther to claim that assassins are an original idea.

The Brotherhood of Assassins is something that I honestly find unique and refreshing. If there is something similar to a 'Brotherhood' in the book then maybe the author has a very small possibility of getting some sort of payout... but not likely.

Overall, I think that this is just a ploy for attention similar to the link provided earlier in this thread wherein J.K.Rowling was sued over the Harry Potter series. But, also stated earlier, the burden of proof rests entirely on him. At least as far as the US code of law is concerned. The Accused is innocent until proven Guilty, which rests burden of proof upon the Plaintiff and not the Defendant. There is much room for reasonable doubt in this case, and as such unless Ubi's lawyers really have to work at the case (doubt it) there is little more to do than wait and countersue for the legal costs which will most assuredly be given for such a stupid lawsuit.

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 12:34:49 am »

Vienna is totally not in Italy dude.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 12:36:01 am »

If you really don't want to give the dude money you could probably download it off some dark corner of the internet.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 12:43:18 am »

Man, this guy is like that kid in my 1st grade class who said I should move seats because he THOUGHT of sitting there first.
Hello Hunam

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:34 am »

Vienna is totally not in Italy dude.
I'm always mixing up the famous water bound trade state, and the capital of Austria myself too. They both start with a "V" dammit!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:09 am »

You are right, Vienna is not in Italy... I feel stupid, I believe I meant Venice. I may be hungry and thinking about Vienna sausages for some reason... disgusting little canned food but lasts for ever... Is Venice the one I am thinking of? With all of the canals and people having to go from place to place in little boats?

Also, slightly drunk and my google is being a bitch right now. Connection so jerky that it should be exploding from the friction...if internet connections had friction that is >.>

*meanderingly shuffles off*
GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 12:55:13 am »

Man, this guy is like that kid in my 1st grade class who said I should move seats because he THOUGHT of sitting there first.
But that's totally how it works! You think it, you own it.

I'm linking xkcd a lot lately here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:00 am »

But that's totally how it works! You think it, you own it.

I'm linking xkcd a lot lately here.
Hey, I THOUGHT of linking that first! Give me the password to your account because I legally own it now!
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 [2] 3